Why you should run the JB4 + Flash instead of just the Flash

Mike @ XPH

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 18, 2016
Las Vegas
jb4-stage-3-bmw-performance-tuner.jpg

This brief article explains the importance of using a JB4 even if your BMW is already Flash Tuned. It specifically explains N54 applications but it mostly applies to all engines.
1- Advanced Safety system
  • If boost exceeds your safety settings, the JB4 reverts to the stock map
  • If AFR is too lean (15% variance), JB4 reverts to the stock map
  • Extra safety for Port Injection and WMI
2- Absolute Boost Control System
  • JB4 targets an absolute boost level where boost is always the same (Independent of external factors)
  • JB4 has ability to set max boost per gear
  • JB4 automatically tunes Wastegates and fuel trims
  • Autotune maps that gives max safe power based on mods, fuel, and IAT (Intake Air Temperature)
3- On The Fly Changes
  • Boost Levels
  • Max boost per. gear
  • Gauges
4- Better Feedback for the Driver
  • Ability to change ANY settings, map, gauges using the JB4 app (on phone) without the need for laptop connectivity
  • Ability to monitor real time boost, AFR timing, knock, and meth flow
  • Ability to data log and email it to BMS using the mobile app (without the need for any cable)
  • Ability to record data, 250x per second
5- Complete Tuning System
  • Eliminates need for additional modules
  • No lift shift
  • 2 step
  • Anti-Lag
  • Port Injection Control
  • Flex-Fuel sensors
  • Water/Methanol Control
  • Ability to work as a cohesive unit rather than have multiple modules working separate
6- FREE Upgrades and Support
  • Lifetime Firmware Upgrades and Backend Flashes
  • Free support from the BMS team
7- No Change In DME
  • All DME table values stay intact
  • JB4 adds performance and safety while keeping DME 100% in charge
Thank you to 'BMW Fanatic' on YouTube for the awesome explanation!

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
The perks I like about using Jb4 is the Stage3 pump control and Boost on the fly. I like that the secondary fuel pump is controlled by Rpm and throttle over a hobb switch and that I can switch from low to high boost when I come across something quick on the road.
What I dont like is the lack of support Ive received when I have an issue.

Reactions: doublespaces

Mike @ XPH

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 18, 2016
Las Vegas
The perks I like about using Jb4 is the Stage3 pump control and Boost on the fly. I like that the secondary fuel pump is controlled by Rpm and throttle over a hobb switch and that I can switch from low to high boost when I come across something quick on the road.
What I dont like is the lack of support Ive received when I have an issue.

Hello,
Im surprised to hear about the lack of support. Steve from Fuel it and Terry from BMS usually offer exceptional customer service.

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
Hello,
Im surprised to hear about the lack of support. Steve from Fuel it and Terry from BMS usually offer exceptional customer service.

Ive seen the great support go to other forum members. I just cant say the same for myself. My questions seem to get overlooked on his forum. Its just forced me to figure them out myself with trial, error, and a little bit of luck.
I dont mean to hijack your post btw. Jb4 as a product works great for me.

Nov 8, 2016
NY
Ive seen the great support go to other forum members. I just cant say the same for myself. My questions seem to get overlooked on his forum. Its just forced me to figure them out myself with trial, error, and a little bit of luck.
I dont mean to hijack your post btw. Jb4 as a product works great for me.

What issues are you having with the JB4? And what is your current setup, hardware and electrical/tuning side of things?

Reactions: DamnDatsun

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
What issues are you having with the JB4? And what is your current setup, hardware and electrical/tuning side of things?

Im not having any issues right now. Ive figured them out myself.
Latest was a change in the firmware that that adjusted my settings. This change wasn't posted and I had to figure it out. Lucky I do logs on low boost when there is a firmware change or my engine would have tanked with this one.

• Informative
Reactions: Motoxracer1551

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
BMS is dropping the ball. I got fed up with them since they didn't bother to copy their flex fuel implementation to K-Line cars. Happy with flash only.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
"JB4 adds performance and safety while keeping DME 100% in charge"

You're joking right? JB4 works by intercepting and modifying signals between electronics on the motor (sensors, boost solenoids, etc) and the DME. Also calling it a "complete tuning system" is a farce - a JB4 needs a back end flash to work 100%. The reverse is not true.

My car is flash only with hybrid turbos, full e85, and PI. I see zero reason to ever put a JB4 on it.

Reactions: Aaron

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Im not having any issues right now. Ive figured them out myself.
Latest was a change in the firmware that that adjusted my settings. This change wasn't posted and I had to figure it out. Lucky I do logs on low boost when there is a firmware change or my engine would have tanked with this one.

Please elaborate. Which firmware to which firmware? Twin or single? Issue?

I'm updating flash & was going to update firmware as well tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: Motoxracer1551

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Veer90, thanks for being the first to say something.

When the tuner who holds just about every N54 dyno record there is pulls the JB4 off his own car to run flash only, that's a sign.

I'm flash only, and won't let a JB4 near my car. I've never been in a JB4 car that ran as smooth as the flash only cars.

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
Please elaborate. Which firmware to which firmware? Twin or single? Issue?

I'm updating flash & was going to update firmware as well tonight.

Single turbo firmware. It was about 2 months ago. PI flow parameters were changed and not mentioned. My tuner likes to use as little PI as possible so with the new parameter changes I was getting no flow. I had to more than double the settings I had set to get my flow back. I was without PI for awhile and just happen to notice something in a log.
I like the Jb4 dont get me wrong, just when updating firmware, do logs on low boost or safety map to make sure everything is good first.

Last edited:

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Veer90, thanks for being the first to say something.

When the tuner who holds just about every N54 dyno record there is pulls the JB4 off his own car to run flash only, that's a sign.

I'm flash only, and won't let a JB4 near my car. I've never been in a JB4 car that ran as smooth as the flash only cars.
I think it really depends on the BEF. I would say my car runs smoother than stock and you wouldn't even know anything was done to it unless you get on the gas.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I think it really depends on the BEF. I would say my car runs smoother than stock and you wouldn't even know anything was done to it unless you get on the gas.

Interesting, did you get a custom BEF or are you running one supplied by BMS?

Two of the main complaints I hear from people running a JB4 is lack of smoothness compared to flash only, and inconsistency.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i

Two of the main complaints I hear from people running a JB4 is lack of smoothness compared to flash only, and inconsistency.
I had a BMS BEF and just made changes in tunerpro. It was a little jerky but not to bad. Then I had Trebila tune it, he got a little more power out of it compared to my tune but the drivability was better. Whatever his settings are work really good along with the JB4.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92

I have been working w/ a flash tuner as well for my MHD/JB4 stack. Car runs smooth & I'm happy. Currently testing 26psi; aiming for 30psi. My hold up has been understanding the integration of everything. I jumped from basic (pre-inlet) bolt ons to ST, PI, Stg 3 LPFP on ethanol w/ a sensor. It's taken a bit for me to get everything configured correctly, but I like having a small level of control (tweaking) that I don't think I'd have flash only. JB4 never gave me any issues from my earlier days & I never came across enough of a reason to ditch it & switch solely to MHD. MHD needs add-ons as well I believe. Syvecs has my attention, but I do not have the patience to be a guinea pig. I will re-evaluate when/if they become more prevalent.

Also some people have a mindset to be cheap & then bash when stuff doesn't work right (JPWorkz for example). A canned flash will probably get you close to running well, but that flash was made to work for EVERYONE. They expect to make XXXhp w/ orignal injectors, coils w/ 20k miles, brass fittings from home depot & 3 packs of zipties. Do it right the 1st time & you'll probably be happier in the long run (you gotta pay to play). <end rant>

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AK135i
Nov 8, 2016
NY
BMS is dropping the ball. I got fed up with them since they didn't bother to copy their flex fuel implementation to K-Line cars. Happy with flash only.

You have any more info on Flex-Fuel for the K-line cars and E9x in general?

What makes K-line a limiting factor? Data Transmission? Why cant a pair of twisted wires be ran from the E-Sensor to the ECU interpreting the data?

How close is it to being an actual "flex fuel" setup, that can compensate from low to high % of ethanol content?

• Love
Reactions: LoBoost

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
You have any more info on Flex-Fuel for the K-line cars and E9x in general?

What makes K-line a limiting factor? Data Transmission? Why cant a pair of twisted wires be ran from the E-Sensor to the ECU interpreting the data?

How close is it to being an actual "flex fuel" setup, that can compensate from low to high % of ethanol content?
Virtual flex fuel is now available for the K-line. Terry worked out the algorithm to get it to work and beta testing has already started.