Wheel weights

Vetracr

Private
Mar 16, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4
I have been having trouble on track days losing wheel balancing weights, the kind that are put on with double sided tape by the tire installer. I always lay down duct tape over the weights as a safety measure. I never had a problem before my Z4. The duct tape now gets cooked along with the weight mounting tape from the heat of the 330x30 brake rotors. I had to end a session last night because I could feel the imbalance in the tire. I thought it was rubber picked up on the tire but it was a tossed weight. Can anyone suggest a brand and type of weights with high temperature capability? Also what type and brand of tape should I put over the weights as a back up to keep them on?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
If you are talking about the "duct" that you aren't supposed to actually use on heating ducts then try the real duct tape.

The aluminum heating duct tape will last much longer a suspect:

81GLj%2BZKklL._SL1500_.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
they have the clamp on weights don't they? There must be a simple solution as you can't be the 1st person with this problem.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
they have the clamp on weights don't they? There must be a simple solution as you can't be the 1st person with this problem.
Ive never seen what youre talking about, unless you mean the ones you tap on with a hammer. But those are really meant for steel wheels w/ hubcaps or wheels with lips you dont care about. But some dont have lips, the face is smooth. Maybe if you static balance and use the inside lip if applicable.

Vetracr

Private
Mar 16, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4

You can't use clamp on weights on aluminum rims. They ruin the rims.