S55 What's the process to obtain a S55 M4 GTS or better M4 GT4 virgin .bin file?

Pete.J

Lurker
Oct 11, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ride
BMW M4 Coupe (F82) S55 TT
I am embarking on the journey of self-tuning my own M4 myself (I did something similar with my old N54 many years ago), so I am looking for the highest power factory tune bin file, M4 GTS or M4 GT4 (race car), and then I'll build my own tune upon it.

We did a similar thing in the N54 days, where we always started from the PPK (IJE0S) or 1M (IKM0S) bin files as the base map, and then we gradually built on it.

I have a base M4 with the base map 317kW / 425hp, and would much rather start with a GTS or GT4 (S55 powered race car) bin if possible, than to start from the base map.

I know I'll need to turn off the DME checks in the GTS/GT4 bin, otherwise the car will be stuck in limp mode after flashing, because my car isn't actually a GTS/GT4... etc.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. I already have MHD Super Licence, and I have been using the GTS map for a few months now, and I like it. But now that I installed downpipes, Wagner TMIC, Wagner radiator kit (the 2 heat exchangers at the front), Wagner chargepipes, I'd like to push the engine more in the mid-range and top-end. I don't like any of the OTS maps, I use my car for track mainly, and the OTS maps shove in a mountain of torque from very low rpm, and make it hard to precisely control the power on corner exit. I'd much rather precise throttle control, than sledgehammer low-end torque approach of OTS maps.

Last edited:

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
With the older cars you can generate bin files from the BMW 0pa and 0da files. If you can find those for the GTS and GT4 then I can merge them into a bin files for you.

The newer cars probably don't use the same file names anymore but I expect them to do something similar with Intel hex data files.

Pete.J

Lurker
Oct 11, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ride
Why does Spoolstreet still marks me as a new member? I've been here since 2017, I am one of the OG N54 owners, bring back the good memories of early N54 development :grinning:

Anyway, on-topic, I got my hands on those maps myself, took 7 months from my initial post above.

Very simply, I used E-SYS to modify my FA to match that of a GTS or CS or Competition car, then flashed the DME only, also using E-SYS with the correct SWFL to suit these different modified FA. Then flashed MHD on top of that, and then generated an updated map using the MHD app.

I had to do this for each one of the above four variants, base, ZCP, CS, and GTS. It's the only way I know off to obtain those virgin factory BMW maps to study their differences, and use them as basis for your own custom tune.

And out of interest, I compared all maps to each other, and found out that the CS and GTS maps are almost identical, except for the Water Injection tables on the GTS obviously. While the base and Competition maps are much more closely related.

So yeah, the CS and GTS map have been developed by the same team, or during the same period. While the base and Competition maps are most likely developed by a different team, or developed much earlier with different philosophy.

I can't test the virgin unmodified GTS map on my car, because it throws all these errors about the missing Water Injection hardware. Obviously, the BM3 and MHD GTS maps are modified to silent all these errors.

The CS and Competition maps I could test on my car without issues, as the hardware is identical. And despite the power difference between the CS and Competition is very minor (460hp vs 450hp), and they both make the same torque, the CS map drives completely different. Far more refined, and much nicer overall. Very Porsche-like in terms of refinement.

I am now using the CS map as the base for my own custom developed FBO tune for my F82 M4. I am still at the early stages, but thoroughly enjoying the learning process.

What I said above, there are only about 900 bytes different between the GTS and CS maps, and they're all for Water Injection stuff, but otherwisw the maps are pretty much identical.

805%21359309&authkey=%21AMUVlsPGFga33s4&width=1024.png

And around 6,000 bytes different between the ZCP and CS, which is a massive difference for a measly +10hp increase, the CS map is definitely very refined in many other ways than just an additional +10hp increase. This should be the base map for anyone trying to DIY their own custom tune. That's my advice.

805%21359310&authkey=%21AF8mAgwIDLERH98&width=1024.png

And as mentioned above, when I flashed the GTS map to my car, it started and drove, but was stuck in limp with all sorts of missing Water Injection hardware faults, so I could test anything useful really. Obviously BM3 and MHD both modify the virgin GTS map to shutdown those codes and get it out of limp mode with the absence of the Water Injection hardware.

805%21359308&authkey=%21ACsHe-aMpNxQg98&height=660.jpg

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Nice!

Would you mind sharing that CS/GTS Bin files? I have no s55 and am just curious about some settings.

bernardo774

Lurker
Aug 15, 2022
Why does Spoolstreet still marks me as a new member? I've been here since 2017, I am one of the OG N54 owners, bring back the good memories of early N54 development :grinning:

Anyway, on-topic, I got my hands on those maps myself, took 7 months from my initial post above.

Very simply, I used E-SYS to modify my FA to match that of a GTS or CS or Competition car, then flashed the DME only, also using E-SYS with the correct SWFL to suit these different modified FA. Then flashed MHD on top of that, and then generated an updated map using the MHD app.

I had to do this for each one of the above four variants, base, ZCP, CS, and GTS. It's the only way I know off to obtain those virgin factory BMW maps to study their differences, and use them as basis for your own custom tune.

And out of interest, I compared all maps to each other, and found out that the CS and GTS maps are almost identical, except for the Water Injection tables on the GTS obviously. While the base and Competition maps are much more closely related.

So yeah, the CS and GTS map have been developed by the same team, or during the same period. While the base and Competition maps are most likely developed by a different team, or developed much earlier with different philosophy.

I can't test the virgin unmodified GTS map on my car, because it throws all these errors about the missing Water Injection hardware. Obviously, the BM3 and MHD GTS maps are modified to silent all these errors.

The CS and Competition maps I could test on my car without issues, as the hardware is identical. And despite the power difference between the CS and Competition is very minor (460hp vs 450hp), and they both make the same torque, the CS map drives completely different. Far more refined, and much nicer overall. Very Porsche-like in terms of refinement.

I am now using the CS map as the base for my own custom developed FBO tune for my F82 M4. I am still at the early stages, but thoroughly enjoying the learning process.

What I said above, there are only about 900 bytes different between the GTS and CS maps, and they're all for Water Injection stuff, but otherwisw the maps are pretty much identical.

View attachment 96425

And around 6,000 bytes different between the ZCP and CS, which is a massive difference for a measly +10hp increase, the CS map is definitely very refined in many other ways than just an additional +10hp increase. This should be the base map for anyone trying to DIY their own custom tune. That's my advice.

View attachment 96426

And as mentioned above, when I flashed the GTS map to my car, it started and drove, but was stuck in limp with all sorts of missing Water Injection hardware faults, so I could test anything useful really. Obviously BM3 and MHD both modify the virgin GTS map to shutdown those codes and get it out of limp mode with the absence of the Water Injection hardware.

View attachment 96427
Nice job!!!!

i can find this missing tables with winOLS, i have the damos/ols for S55 engine.

You can share this 2 maps? I didnt find.

Tks!

Pete.J

Lurker
Oct 11, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ride
Nice!

Would you mind sharing that CS/GTS Bin files? I have no s55 and am just curious about some settings.

Nice job!!!!

i can find this missing tables with winOLS, i have the damos/ols for S55 engine.

You can share this 2 maps? I didnt find.

Tks!

I would love to share, but I need to find out where the VIN information is stored in the bin, so I can delete my VIN. I am sure these will do rounds, and I don't want my VIN all over the internet.

Reactions: bernardo774

bernardo774

Lurker
Aug 15, 2022
I would love to share, but I need to find out where the VIN information is stored in the bin, so I can delete my VIN. I am sure these will do rounds, and I don't want my VIN all over the internet.
in MEVD files, you doesnt have VIN in this tune files, even generated with MHD.
You can use HxD to find, some words to work: MEVD....MHD.... you will see the version, mhd version, mevd version, but no vin.

to change vin in this ecu, you need a dumb file in boot mode (bench mode).
In OBD you cant get or change vin.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnDaviz

Pete.J

Lurker
Oct 11, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ride
in MEVD files, you doesnt have VIN in this tune files, even generated with MHD.
You can use HxD to find, some words to work: MEVD....MHD.... you will see the version, mhd version, mevd version, but no vin.

to change vin in this ecu, you need a dumb file in boot mode (bench mode).
In OBD you cant get or change vin.

Thank you @bernardo774, please see attached the all the factory S55 maps, all read from my car, and all using the later ROM "1A841D2801", and taken from the latest I-Level manually flashed via E-SYS to my car, then read by MHD.

1. base tune
2. Competition Package
3. CS
4. GTS (and DTM uses the same one)

Attachments

• Stock_BMW_S55_bins_(unmodified_untouched).zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Love
Reactions: Anon1 and JohnDaviz

bernardo774

Lurker
Aug 15, 2022
You are the guy!

BMW use some tables in this versions:
- Vanos IN/EX
- Compressor Base
- P.I.D Tables

Very interessant.

MHD OTS maps target much torque in low revs, i doesnt like.

Im my M5 F10 i take the Competition Calibration, the car have 78-80kg torque request and a linear aceleration, not crazy power in low rpm.
If some one work with S63TU engines, i can share for free this BWM Stock calibration.
M5 Base = 560ps and 680nm
M5 Competition = 600ps and 80nm (max torque request in calibration, i didnt dino the car)

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thank you @bernardo774, please see attached the all the factory S55 maps, all read from my car, and all using the later ROM "1A841D2801", and taken from the latest I-Level manually flashed via E-SYS to my car, then read by MHD.

1. base tune
2. Competition Package
3. CS
4. GTS (and DTM uses the same one)

Thank you very much for the files!!

I would like to flash the CS DME and DSC firmware onto a buddies car. Do you have the ZUSB´s for those versions in hand? That would be really kind of you!

Nevermind. I forgot that it is through E-Sys. Now need to figure out how this works :D

Last edited:

bernardo774

Lurker
Aug 15, 2022
Thank you very much for the files!!

I would like to flash the CS DME and DSC firmware onto a buddies car. Do you have the ZUSB´s for those versions in hand? That would be really kind of you!

Nevermind. I forgot that it is through E-Sys. Now need to figure out how this works :D

Hello!!!

You can use a Android App = ProTool.

In cars i add the VO and the app do a automatic coding for all modules that is needed.

See some prints, very easy!

i add the Competition Package.
For the M3/M4, find the VO for CS/GTS.

1721304762780.jpeg

1721304775501.jpeg