What tires? 600whp+

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I had the rs-rr's and they were fantastic on the street for the first 4000 miles. Would hook 2nd gear roll. HP not known but trapped 126. They developed a terrible vibration which I thought was front tires, guibo, you name it. No idea why they were so bad, but they turned pretty much overnight. Hopefully just a fluke, but I replaced them with Michelin pilot super sports. Terrible tire that spins like crazy on even a 3rd gear roll. I really want to get some 17s for the rear but they're are very few 17 inch options for a wide tire.
You nailed it with the PSS. I can light them up in a third gear roll at like 5500rpm
They are total garbage how that tire theft the factory with a stamp of approval is beyond me they are terrible

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
So boys your twisti g my arm more and more into being ok with the rsrr. Does anyone have some pics they could post of them on their car. Like side wall and an ass shot ;)

Also I'm tight with a 275 in the rear, should I step down to a 265? Do they really run that wide?

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
600+rwhp as opposed to sub 600rwhp are different cars.
Its all about putting the power down.

My concern with rsrr is it sounds like they still arent good enough for 600+rwhp (so hybrid/single power) to hold the first couple of gears and arguably 3rd. Rs-rr based on what I see in the thread around 60ft and peoples need to roll in higher gears(and my old 4wd gtr shedding them if i got on it too early), the Yoko AD08Rs I am running are better.
Rs-rrs definately arent as sticky as the r888rs . Bigger power cars, even 2000+rwhp run r888r across platforms. Its a dry weather R comp tyre. If you want to put the power down r888rs , if you want to carry more speed through corners then other r comps are around but, they dont do any where as well in straight line.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
600+rwhp as opposed to sub 600rwhp are different cars.
Its all about putting the power down.

My concern with rsrr is it sounds like they still arent good enough for 600+rwhp (so hybrid/single power) to hold the first couple of gears and arguably 3rd. Rs-rr based on what I see in the thread around 60ft and peoples need to roll in higher gears(and my old 4wd gtr shedding them if i got on it too early), the Yoko AD08Rs I am running are better.
Rs-rrs definately arent as sticky as the r888rs . Bigger power cars, even 2000+rwhp run r888r across platforms. Its a dry weather R comp tyre. If you want to put the power down r888rs , if you want to carry more speed through corners then other r comps are around but, they dont do any where as well in straight line.

There are a number of 600whp+ cars that use the RS-RRs effectively. I don't quite understand what you mean by saying they aren't good enough to hold the first couple of gears, vs 60ft.

RS-RRs are definitely a value proposition compared to R888. They cost half as much, for probably 80 - 90% of the performance. I wouldn't say it's exactly a fair comparison to say that 2000+ whp cars run R888s rather than RS-RRs. You're basically saying that someone with a 90K (used) car, and a 70K (or MUCH MUCH more) twin turbo kit is choosing the R888s over the RS-RRs, as if the Federals are even something they consider. The other thing is tire size - do they even offer RS-RRs in the sizes that those 2K whp cars run?

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Sorry I was all over the shop there. let me try simplify what I am trying to get at. I have personal experience with the federals on an r32 GTR with modest power, you may have missed that..

For the same tyres size.
Straight line and twisty grip (and also tyre cost)
r888r > AD08R
AD08R > rs-rr

If the goal is getting 'budget' tyres that grip reasonably the rs-rr are ok but, they arent in the same league or cost bracket as the others mentioned. So if cost isnt the only factor then there are better alternatives I wouldn't say they were ideal for big power n54 platforms

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
R888r heat cycle out tho if using on street so have be careful
I have had zero issues on mine so far. Not to say that it wont / doesnt happen. For ME, these tires are the best I have tried thus far on 19" wheels. Was looking to try the Trofeo Rs back then but had to wait a week or so for my size, so I went Toyo. No regrets. I also tried the Federals and they started seperating on me. Got refunded and didnt want to try them again.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
R888r heat cycle out tho if using on street so have be careful

I was a bit surprised when I read this comment, so I decided to measure the surface temperature of my tires today. Here's the result:
Cold start: 20C / 68F same as ambient
30mins later, normal street driving: 38C / 100F (all tires were the same, +/-1C)

Is this the heat cycling you are referring to?

I find that the AD08r are pretty sensitive to age. Ie a 2019 tire will have noticeable more grip than a 2017 tire. Storing them away, don't do them any good at all. Using them everyday won't help either, they just loose grip over time. I don't think the newer Michelin sport tires are quite as sensitive to age, but I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that slicks are super sensitive to how you treat them, and the Trofeo Rs are also known to loose laptime rather quickly between track sessions. I guess the softer the tire, the worse they age. But it is probably more complicated than that.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
If driving short and not agressive probly ok but I have found that if daily driving and you get them up to temp alot they start getting harder. Basically where they would hold certain turns and second gear I found that they still had more than half life but grip deteriorated drastically out of no where. My pss , and my nt05s while not on same level handle dual purpose use better. I think if tracking part time they will wear down before this happens but i just think no matter what your not gonna get multiple seasons. I just going from my experience, besides the noise I think they were best tires ive ran on this car as far as grip in straight and turns

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I think I'm gonna try a staggered AD08R 265/35/18f 285/30/18r next or maybe run my 275/35 ps4s front and AD08R rear.

Rsrr price is attractive but hear lots of stories about them ending life early and I require reliable tires.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Lots of good first hand experience here guys thanks a lot for keeping this post going. We do t talk about it that much I'm glad we're all having the chat!

Has anyone tried the nankang AR1 yet, they are making them in more suitable sizes for us now, they are not cheap for a test tire but I'd be curious. They get great reviews so far.

In hind sight I really wish I would have done 18s not 19s as it opens a whole new world of possibilities

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Lots of good first hand experience here guys thanks a lot for keeping this post going. We do t talk about it that much I'm glad we're all having the chat!

Has anyone tried the nankang AR1 yet, they are making them in more suitable sizes for us now, they are not cheap for a test tire but I'd be curious. They get great reviews so far.

In hind sight I really wish I would have done 18s not 19s as it opens a whole new world of possibilities

AR-1's are good tyres but, I would assume you are looking at dry track day tyres then? They are possibly one of the worst for damp conditions.

While we are at it, what are you hoping the tyres will help the car do better than the current ones?
Improve lap times at your favorite track?
Win you some roll races fet you some kill stories?
Protect you from death on your favorite country road in winter?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
AR-1's are good tyres but, I would assume you are looking at dry track day tyres then? They are possibly one of the worst for damp conditions.

While we are at it, what are you hoping the tyres will help the car do better than the current ones?
Improve lap times at your favorite track?
Win you some roll races fet you some kill stories?
Protect you from death on your favorite country road in winter?

Haha well worded lol

I'm hoping to win me some rolls, shred in the spring and summer and an hpde or 3 ;)

They won't see below 60F or a smidge of moisture, the suby sees all shit weather work

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
Do the Nankang AR-1s run the same width as the R888rs? As in not all 275s are the same.

I'm on a 1 series so space is super limited. Currently running 275 Firehawks that no longer get the job done. They were okay until i turned the boost up.

forgot to add, intend to only use them at the track for roll racing event's they hold monthly.

Last edited:

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Do the Nankang AR-1s run the same width as the R888rs? As in not all 275s are the same.

I'm on a 1 series so space is super limited. Currently running 275 Firehawks that no longer get the job done. They were okay until i turned the boost up.

forgot to add, intend to only use them at the track for roll racing event's they hold monthly.

AR-1's arent the roll race pick. R888r is the clear winner. They are sticky from the get go on a dry track and a warm day. Most of the circuit rubber needs various levels of warm up.

I am in the process of ordering some Kumho V70As in a medium compound to replace the AD08Rs. These are waaaay softer ( 50 vs 140tw) but its also a compound like the r888r that doesnt need much warmth to be sticky. So hoping to see if they are good roll race material.

Will report back once I have them on.

Reactions: fmorelli and Nosrok

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
AR-1's arent the roll race pick. R888r is the clear winner. They are sticky from the get go on a dry track and a warm day. Most of the circuit rubber needs various levels of warm up.

I am in the process of ordering some Kumho V70As in a medium compound to replace the AD08Rs. These are waaaay softer ( 50 vs 140tw) but its also a compound like the r888r that doesnt need much warmth to be sticky. So hoping to see if they are good roll race material.

Will report back once I have them on.

I look forward to hearing how that tire behaves, the more data the better.

Only back to back comparisons I've been able to find was a speed academy review on a track and the nankang had better longitudinal g force compared to the r888r and according to them it "turned on" sooner. But it's hard to find any data for roll racing specifically so heating the tire on a warm up lap is definitely an aspect that doesn't apply to roll racing at a track.

I've saw another r888r vs MT but that was purely driver feedback with no data, not entirely helpful when picking between the ar1 and r8.

If I can round up enough wheels I'd love to do back to back pulls at the track and see what if any MPH difference. The events are structured off of MPH with 1/8 mile breakouts with 1/4 mile mph brackets.

Reactions: Bmwfixerguy1