What is the best BBK for the money?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I bumped into some threads where people have fabbed up brackets to run calipers from other cars like Porsche and CTS-V and ran them on other cars. I'd have concerns about how effective this would be and it got me wondering what our options are for a BBK for those that don't need the absolute best, but want a good upgrade?

arsenalmse

Private
Dec 5, 2016
Knoxville, TN
I believe as of right now, those are the only two options for non-tradional bbk's. For fronts, you can find CTS-V 6-piston calipers for ~$800 plus cost of 380mm rotor. Then you have the Porsche 19z 6-pistion which varies in price and seems to depend on the day.
Like you said, having to fabricate a mounting bracket, and you're almost at the same cost of a proper brake kit.

If you're looking for a big brake kit that isn't so traditional for your BMW, I personally suggest Sparta Evolution brakes. Amazing heat dispersion and stopping power, and made for the car.

http://store.arsenalmse.com/t/brake-kits

Just my two cents, but curious to see what else is out there.

DirtKurt

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
NH
If your going to spend the money for a BBK and are concerned with performance and not just looking cool you need a true 2 piece floating rotor.
I went with StopTech, but there also brembo, pfc, and many others.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If your going to spend the money for a BBK and are concerned with performance and not just looking cool you need a true 2 piece floating rotor.
I went with StopTech, but there also brembo, pfc, and many others.

I haven't stumbled across any reviews for PFC, though I haven't been looking specifically. I'll have to do some more digging

DR-JEKL

Private
Jan 16, 2017
IMO stoptech produce the best BBK's that offer excellent build quality, great performance at a low entry level price.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
I agree...look into R1 Concepts. They make excellent products and have top notch customer service. Their BBK is very customizable and looks amazing....just don't know the cost

Alex@abrhouston

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
Houston, Texas
www.abrhouston.com
Worry about a BBK when you need it. Unless your getting it strictly for aesthetics.
Typically a set of PFC 08 pads, stainless lines, Typ200 brake fluid and bronze brake pins will solve almost anyone's problem.
IF the brake fluid still is being compromised (overheated) Titanium shims between the caliper piston and brake pad.
IF that doesn't fix it, brake ducts to cool them.
IF that doesn't fix it, a BBK or driving instruction is needed.
Granted, we put temperature reactive paint on our rotors, pads, caliper pots and hubs so we can see how hot things get and if we're exceeding the zone of usefulness.

Brett Shepard

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Jacksonville
Actually, the cheapest BBK for our cars is putting the F30 Performance front brake calipers, rotors, rear calipers, keep stock size rear rotors and swap to M3 master cylinder. World of difference and I ran Stoptech rotors and pads prior to this upgrade. Not to mention, they feel much better to me than BBKs for our cars and I've driven a few different setups. Obviously that's my opinion and others will be different I'm sure.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Actually, the cheapest BBK for our cars is putting the F30 Performance front brake calipers, rotors, rear calipers, keep stock size rear rotors and swap to M3 master cylinder. World of difference and I ran Stoptech rotors and pads prior to this upgrade. Not to mention, they feel much better to me than BBKs for our cars and I've driven a few different setups. Obviously that's my opinion and others will be different I'm sure.
Aren't there issues using a bbk from another car?

Brett Shepard

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Jacksonville
Like what issues? The only thing is you have to make a couple modifications for the rear to work. The front is a direct bolt on. There are many people that have already performed this conversion. Supposedly you can just swap the front and they're fine but I can't comment on that myself as I did the full conversion.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Like what issues? The only thing is you have to make a couple modifications for the rear to work. The front is a direct bolt on. There are many people that have already performed this conversion. Supposedly you can just swap the front and they're fine but I can't comment on that myself as I did the full conversion.

Did you do this for the rears or the shaving method? Posted by Wlodi:
What is needed:
Part numbers:
2x 33416771082 (Number 1 on the pic below)
2x 33416762321 (Number 2 on the pic below) - unless you manage not to damage the bearing while taking of the old hub.
2x 33411133785 (Number 4 on the pic below)

The main problem is that the distance betweend caliper mounting points in the carrier and the rotor are different in e9X and f3X. The difference is 6-8mm. One of the ways is to mill yourself 6-8 mm spacers and put if under the rotor. That would work but it can be done another (less diffcult) way - even better. What we wave to do is that we need to swap the hubs with those from 135i model. The hubs have different construction so the swap will give us the 6-8 mm we need.

What has to be done:
1. Take off the wheel, remove the emblem from the wheel and put it back on the car - it is easier to remove the hub screws with the wheel blockin everything in place.
2. Once its done you can take off You old calipers and rotors.
3. The mounting holes are bigger in f30 so you have to drill the holes to fit the caliper holes.
4. As for the hadbrake - you need to get 2x 6mm (inside diameter) and 2x 8mm (inside diameter) metal sleeves. All 6-8mm long. We have to put on those sleeves so that the brake shoes will fit with everything else. Be sure to replace the original M6 and M8 shoe screws with similar but 20mm long. Make sure the screw heads are as short as OEM screws If you cant find such screws
5.After that we can put on the shoes. This is not the part of this description.
6. Now we can put on the calipers. After swaping the hubs which gave us 10mm (we needed 6-8mm) we now ave to simply put on a 2mm spacer under the caliper (mounting holes). After that we can enjoy the view
biggrin.gif
7. After that you have put on the brake hoses and bleed the system.
8. Put on the wheels.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Did you do this for the rears or the shaving method? Posted by Wlodi:

You can find new front & rear cts-v caliper sets for $1000-1200. I had considered F30 rotors for the front, but was still researching the rear because I want rotors to match. This post will definitely help looking up options.

Brackets shouldn't be terribly hard. If there is some interest & we come up w/ a "parts list" I could design around; I could have brackets cut, then it'd be up to the user to shop for the rest of the list. :cool:

Swedishpowah

Private
Dec 7, 2016
Greer, SC
Ride
LCI e92 - not an M
As Brett Sheppard said, the F30 fronts are a direct bolt on - no modifications needed whatsoever. I've just swapped the fronts and plan on machining the rears and use an e60 rear rotor. Currently looking into sourcing a master cylinder from an e92 M3 to improve pedal feel. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade and you get 370mm front rotors and much better calipers. One thing to keep in mind, most OEM e92 18 inch wheels won't work. Apex arc-8 provide plenty of clearance.
20170805_114741.jpg

20170805_114913.jpg

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
As Brett Sheppard said, the F30 fronts are a direct bolt on - no modifications needed whatsoever. I've just swapped the fronts and plan on machining the rears and use an e60 rear rotor. Currently looking into sourcing a master cylinder from an e92 M3 to improve pedal feel. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade and you get 370mm front rotors and much better calipers. One thing to keep in mind, most OEM e92 18 inch wheels won't work. Apex arc-8 provide plenty of clearance.View attachment 4734
View attachment 4735

The machining necessary for the rears, mind taking some pics of that process?

Swedishpowah

Private
Dec 7, 2016
Greer, SC
Ride
LCI e92 - not an M
The machining necessary for the rears, mind taking some pics of that process?

I'm going to touch base with Fab Factory to see what their price is for this work. I know they've done some in the past and have a jig set up for this.

There is a good thread on e90post for this upgrade.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm going to touch base with Fab Factory to see what their price is for this work. I know they've done some in the past and have a jig set up for this.

There is a good thread on e90post for this upgrade.

I've browsed some of them. I seemed to notice a couple different ways to do this and read about some people trying then giving up(HPAutoworks?) but it seemed a bit hazy and not definitive as to the best method based on what I encountered.

If there was a way we could have this done for us or the steps outlined in fair detail over here, that would be great!

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I've done this complete setup. F30 M Performance front and rear with the M3 master cylinder. I was the beta for Fab Factory and they designed the jig off of my calipers. The price was more than reasonable considering they had to start from scratch. I would guess their pricing is still very reasonable while still needed to recoup the time spent from the original layout.
20170126_112020.jpg
12966527_931039337016962_1100900027_n.jpg
12988078_931039343683628_562979900_n.jpg