What if Cobb never left

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Do you guys ever wonder what would have happen if that whole thing with Cobb didn't go down? Don't get me wrong I'm happy MHD was able the bail us out but I wonder sometimes how further we would be if Cobb never left.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
LOL. They had how long before Shiv/Rombinhood knocked them off and they got pissy. How many new features or tables did they add during that time? Zero. Hell, they didn't even give the idle tables. That took me a few days after I got my hands on a damos and was starting off completely unfamiliar with the structure.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I'm running a cobb v2 on one of my n54's. I really like it. Way smoother than mhd. Faster spool. No post shift bog.(mt) and has more linier power than jb4 with bef.

When i upgrade my turbos on the e92, i will put the jb4 on it and run the cobb on my xi.

You realize that's just the tune, and has nothing to do with the actual flashing platform, right?

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

135iTX

Corporal
Dec 1, 2017
Ride
2009 135i
JB4+++++(GPS, etc) might have come out with the added competition

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
As someone relatively new to the platform, Cobb was already dead when I got involved so apologies for the dumb questions. With Cobb, didn't you have to pay extra or have a special license to create your own tunes, or could you use tunerpro just as you can with MHD? For some reason I thought Cobb was a closed system to force users to get protunes.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
As someone relatively new to the platform, Cobb was already dead when I got involved so apologies for the dumb questions. With Cobb, didn't you have to pay extra or have a special license to create your own tunes, or could you use tunerpro just as you can with MHD? For some reason I thought Cobb was a closed system to force users to get protunes.
ATR (Cobb's "TunerPro") was freely available by anyone with an AP. The requirement to take classes and verify to get it only came in the last year or 2.

Reactions: langsbr

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Is this still a thing?
Yep, anyone that wants ATR now must take and complete an EFI University class before they can download it. ATR is serialized to individual APs, so the copy is only good for maps on each individual AP. In other words, you must have an AP to download and take the class. Then the ATR will only work with that specific AP.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I don't think they would have contributed anything to really move the platform forward tbh. It always seemed clear to me that Cobb was a company who was only producing things for the N54 because they thought it was an easy way to make money by producing low-effort things they already had mass production of. They had no specific interest or investment in the 35i's, other than that it was another Turbo car so they could spit out some piping for and sell more handheld tuners.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
LOL. They had how long before Shiv/Rombinhood knocked them off and they got pissy. How many new features or tables did they add during that time? Zero. Hell, they didn't even give the idle tables. That took me a few days after I got my hands on a damos and was starting off completely unfamiliar with the structure.

This x2. I live just 8mi from Cobb. I sold my Cobb after only 6mo of using it. It wasn't that their offering was poor, it was that their service and innovation was non existent. I was FBO on a Cobb stage 2 back in Jan of 2011. They failed to innovate, failed to support their customers, bitched about competition, and were generally just sour pusses any time you went to them to spend money with them.

I dumped the Cobb and went Proceed.

I dumped the Proceed and went JB4.

I dumped the JB4 and went MHD.

Syvecs looks nice and shiny hahahahaahahah

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Mmmmm SYVECS....
I really want someone to go ahead and do this already. Especially someone with a DCT....
no pressure though lol

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Mmmmm SYVECS....
I really want someone to go ahead and do this already. Especially someone with a DCT....
no pressure though lol

You buy it for me and I'll run it :)

From what I gather from the M3 world, their torque management strategies for actual/requested/reported/etc torque (which is the LIFEBLOOD of the DCT's operation) is a bit.....limited. It sounds like they have the WOT performance pretty good and the DCT behaves great when beating it. But I'm hearing that in around town situations the Syvecs is less than smooth with the DCT. Just he said she said rumors really. I might be totally off base.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
You buy it for me and I'll run it :)

From what I gather from the M3 world, their torque management strategies for actual/requested/reported/etc torque (which is the LIFEBLOOD of the DCT's operation) is a bit.....limited. It sounds like they have the WOT performance pretty good and the DCT behaves great when beating it. But I'm hearing that in around town situations the Syvecs is less than smooth with the DCT. Just he said she said rumors really. I might be totally off base.
I reckon that’s all in the tuning. DId you ever get in touch with that guy - Think it was Wayne or whatever about them?

I’d love to buy you one mate - saving for one of my own first though it could be a while the way im going. Keep going on holidays instead.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I reckon that’s all in the tuning. DId you ever get in touch with that guy - Think it was Wayne or whatever about them?

I’d love to buy you one mate - saving for one of my own first though it could be a while the way im going. Keep going on holidays instead.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hmmm didn’t watch the whole vid but it seems to have enough in terms of the different parameters you mention ???

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Hmmm didn’t watch the whole vid but it seems to have enough in terms of the different parameters you mention ???

Yea, the capabilities are there. But there isn't a lot of BMW DCT Syvecs cars running around supplying their logging and tuning data to a large knowledge bank to perfectly nail the torque management strategies in all part throttle situations.

There are thousands of R35 DCT Skylines, DCT Lambo Hurricans, and DCT Lambo Guillardos out there contributing to their knowledge bank. They are pretty set.

It's going to take a while for the BMW DCT world to gather that same amount of information to lean on so that tuners can appropriately tune our part throttle parameters. WOT isn't nearly as big of a deal, because that's everyone's main (and initial) focus. Plenty of knowledge on getting the DCT to behave appropriately when you are really flogging the car.

I think I derailed this thread...we should probably go back to talking about Cobb hahaha.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yea, the capabilities are there. But there isn't a lot of BMW DCT Syvecs cars running around supplying their logging and tuning data to a large knowledge bank to perfectly nail the torque management strategies in all part throttle situations.

There are thousands of R35 DCT Skylines, DCT Lambo Hurricans, and DCT Lambo Guillardos out there contributing to their knowledge bank. They are pretty set.

It's going to take a while for the BMW DCT world to gather that same amount of information to lean on so that tuners can appropriately tune our part throttle parameters. WOT isn't nearly as big of a deal, because that's everyone's main (and initial) focus. Plenty of knowledge on getting the DCT to behave appropriately when you are really flogging the car.

I think I derailed this thread...we should probably go back to talking about Cobb hahaha.
That’s why I started the other one