Waterless coolant? Any users / opinions ?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Thinking of replacing the OE plastic end cap radiator this winter with all alloy version.

With 550 BHP now available obviously if you were to use these ponies for any period of time then probably the cooling system will get stressed.

I saw this waterless coolant solution aimed at avoiding cavitation issues, if such things exist on the N54

Any experience / views ?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
No experience. But it appears to be mostly based on ethylene glycol / poly ethylene glycol and some additives.

I looked up their patents: https://patents.google.com/?assignee=Evans+Cooling

It’s my understanding that pure water has a much higher heat transfer coefficient and therefor is more efficient than water / EG or propylene glycol mixtures.

Based on their website and other info, this stuff is probably designed for racing engines that run much hotter than our engines because of the much higher use temp.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
The 50/50 water / glycol mix we use of course has itself less heat transfer than pure water.

The question was more related to cavitation caused by localised heat spots in the cooling areas around the cylinder head…Porche had issues with this on the barrels of its water cooled flat sixes leading to bore score.

I don’t see any body raising cavitation issues on the N54 but with more heat from tuning I wonder if any analysis has been undertaken.

I know Audi on some of its higher power turbocharged engines used a stratified flow across the cylinder head to reduce this issue..

• Informative
Reactions: wheela