On3 Performance Turbo Kit Impressions on AWD 335xi + Additional Parts List

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Looks clean.
I had similar Spectre filters on my stock turbos. The middle section of one of the filters came apart and lodged itself into one of my inlets.
The filter had 20k+ miles on it when it happened so maybe it was just time for it to be replaced. I'd recommend against using that filter for much longer.

Thanks, i'll keep that noted. Not much options out there for 3" though.

Leeer73

Aug 7, 2019
Ride
07 e92
Theres actually alot of reference videos on youtube and facebook groups. Just got to find them. But its pretty straight forward. I made this thread because i couldn’t find anybody actually making a write up for awd. The awd is def more conplicated than the rwd install. I think budget bimmers did an install on youtube. You can watch that.
Hey buddy! Yea I checked those out already, there's a few things missing though.

I do have 2 questions for you though. 1. I've already sourced a remote tuner. I was MHD only and he said I should get a jb4 with a back end tune to control my boost. I did buy a 44mm tial waste gate, but do I still need to get a mac solenoid? I'm just curious how the ecm will co troll the waste gate pressure.

2. In my manifold I have 3 o2 sensor bongs. 1 in each manifold right were the three pipes converge to one. And a single one further down. I'm I assuming the 2 bungs where the pipes meet are for the are my bank 1 sensors which only leaves the last single bung for my bank 2 sensor? Lol were does the other bank 2 sensor go?

Lol I hope these questions make sence, sorry if I sound like an idiot!

Leeer73

Aug 7, 2019
Ride
07 e92
Hey buddy! Yea I checked those out already, there's a few things missing though.

I do have 2 questions for you though. 1. I've already sourced a remote tuner. I was MHD only and he said I should get a jb4 with a back end tune to control my boost. I did buy a 44mm tial waste gate, but do I still need to get a mac solenoid? I'm just curious how the ecm will co troll the waste gate pressure.

2. In my manifold I have 3 o2 sensor bongs. 1 in each manifold right were the three pipes converge to one. And a single one further down. I'm I assuming the 2 bungs where the pipes meet are for the are my bank 1 sensors which only leaves the last single bung for my bank 2 sensor? Lol were does the other bank 2 sensor go?

Lol I hope these questions make sence, sorry if I sound like an idiot!
Lol crap never mind, I see where the 2 rear sensors go, but what's that 3rd bung for on my manifold?

CornFedBimmer

Private
Jul 19, 2018
Ride
2007 335i sedan
Yes, you’ll need a MAC solenoid either way. If you go flash only, you’ll need a boostbox to control the MAC and if you go with a JB4, that will handle the boost control through the MAC.

The two O2 bungs in the merge collector are for your two primary O2 sensors, front merge is for bank 1 and the rear one is for bank 2. Your secondary O2s will go in your downpipe. Edit: I see you got it lol. The 3rd bung is for if you have clearance issues fitting the front O2 in its bung. Mine wouldn’t fit due to me having the DocRace coolant pipe

Reactions: Leeer73

Leeer73

Aug 7, 2019
Ride
07 e92
Yes, you’ll need a MAC solenoid either way. If you go flash only, you’ll need a boostbox to control the MAC and if you go with a JB4, that will handle the boost control through the MAC.

The two O2 bungs in the merge collector are for your two primary O2 sensors, front merge is for bank 1 and the rear one is for bank 2. Your secondary O2s will go in your downpipe. Edit: I see you got it lol. The 3rd bung is for if you have clearance issues fitting the front O2 in its bung. Mine wouldn’t fit due to me having the DocRace coolant pipe

You're awesome, thank you for the help. I'll try not to bother you too much more!

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Time to update this thread since its been a while. I’m now running a PTE 6266 ball bearing turbo with the T51R mod. The clutch was changed to a 335is/550i clutch with a brand new stock dual mass flywheel. My power goals aren’t high and thought this combo would do well without sacrificing the stock clutch feeling.
IMG_4673.JPGIMG_4675.JPGIMG_4677.JPG

First off, the major problem dealt with:
Sadly to say, the turbo was not a straight bolt on. I had to bring it in to a shop to get the downpipe modified.

The PTE had a bigger compressor housing. The housing touches the valve cover and forces the turbo to be angled at a different place than the smaller 55mm On3 turbo.IMG_5038.JPGIMG_5039.JPGIMG_5040.JPGIMG_5041.JPGIMG_5043.JPGIMG_5045.JPG

The turbo also comes in contact with the hood and rubs nonstop. Not much i can do about that. But be sure to buy the right oil fittings to clear the hood as well.
Had to buy an 90 degree 1/8 NPT female to male fitting to compliment the 0.035 oil restrictor i had. Otherwise the oil feed including the restrictor would be too high and contact the hood. (Don't have any pics of this yet)

You might also need a new silicone coupler from the compressor housing to the intercooler like i did in this case. I brought a straight 2.5” coupler at first but a 45 degree 2.5“ worked better instead.

After everything said and done, it was time to tune the car. I got tuned by Justin at Twisted Tuning. I only wanted pump gas 93 tune.

The car made 490 awhp and 450 tq at 19psi on a mustang dyno. Too bad i didn’t break the 500hp mark but the number would probably be higher on a dynojet. I also have alot more drivetrain lost due to the xdrive system.
IMG_5300.JPG

For what it is and how the car drives, im more than satisfied.

Attachments

• IMG_5299.JPG
    IMG_5299.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG