Water temp gauge

Vetracr

Private
Mar 16, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4
Hi guys. I'm new to BMW's and this site but I'm a experienced long time road racer. I've retired from road racing but I'm developing a 2010 Z4 N52 6 speed as a street/track day car. I was amazed when I got the car to discover no water temperature gauge, only an oil temperature gauge. I've added the thermostat housing from an N54 to my N52 oil filter housing which allowed me to add a Setrab oil cooler. I'd like to add a a water temperature gauge. Both the N52 and N54 have a hot water line that runs from the head to the thermostat. The thermostat uses the water from this line to control the water temperature. The line has a 15mm ID/22mm OD. I bought an Autometer water temperature gauge adapter to insert in this line. The problem is when the temperature sender is inserted in the adapter it blocks at least half the flow. Reading up on the complex nature of the BMW cooling system I'm concerned the reduced flow to the thermostat might negatively effect the thermostats ability to control the water temp as well as screw up the water temperature tuning maps. Any one add a water temperature gauge? If so, how? Any thoughts on reducing the flow to the thermostat and possible effects on water temp control. TIA.

Larry

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
If you are into some of the electronic work, coding, etc you can get the water temp from the canbus network.

The car computers knows the water temp, you just need a way to see it.

Look for a canbus type water gauge or if you have an idrive screen you can even get a lot more info to display right on the screen.

Here is a sample pic:
0-N7WRvaNUL5WxHUBnyhHEAcAATUaXPD8ZbHHdz8zQpdyse0wjoF5dI6Df--w?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Nice some serious working going on there!

On the water temp, can't one use the Torque app and a Vgate wifi OBDII connector and get this information on the Torque app gauge display? It's certainly an inexpensive (and easy) solution to try, I would imagine. And if it works, one can buy a cheap tablet and run any number of gauge displays on it with live data.

Filippo

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Are you following this DIY or doing something different? Would like to know more if you have time to share.

Filippo

I am running MHD on a mini android device that has a video out. The video goes to a video controller that is often used for add-on backup cameras. I use a wireless mouse that I just leave in the arm rest when needed but I have wanted to add in an overlay touch screen to the iDrive display.

I just made a post here for you....
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/mhd-display-on-idrive-screen.3075/

Reactions: fmorelli