VTT Rocker Cover

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I have the m3 cowl and they look like crap compared to this, the gaps between the strut bars are huge and it doesnt look right

I even went ahead and brought the bmw mini cooper window squirters to suit

Everybody has their own taste, I just picked something that will look good, is far more functional than m3 and something unique.

Its tiring seeing the same thing.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have the m3 cowl and they look like crap compared to this, the gaps between the strut bars are huge and it doesnt look right

Everybody has their own taste, I just picked something that will look good, is far more functional than m3 and something unique.

That really is prob best setup I seen i agree with panzer I've long had issue trying to find a cowl setup I like

Reactions: martymil

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i

Awesome, thanks for the info. Any certain way you cut the cowl? I was planning on doing it along the ridges where the angles start that way I maintain proper drainage but it looked like the middle might have some channeling issues without the stock filter in place since the top of the cover provides some channeling too.

I definitely agree with you about it looking better than the M3 one which is why I asked, and I enjoy going a different direction too - part of the reason I have a one-off CP/BOV setup (AFAIK anyway), DIY PSP oil cooler setup, and why I went the extra mile with my BL coil kit too. My real big scheme is to pull ST times at the 1/4 with twins which will obviously be more challenging than what I've done so far lol, but you're 100% right - making your car unique is far more fun and interesting than going the route that's been walked a thousand times.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

How or where did you source the custom covers for the bms filters ?
Or did you just trim stock covers down

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I had them made, they are not cheap around 250 usd shipped anywhere.

Don't flame me for it they are hand made and powder coated alloy.

If there was enough demand I could get them made in plastic and make them cheap but the die cost would be around 20k.

I would basically need to sell hundreds just to break even.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The car is in the shop so its hard to show how I cut it but there is no water channelling issues as the cowl has water diverting channels just under the windscreen and it diverts it to the corners drains.

I ran a rubber edge along the outside for any water that might stray but it doesn't.

The rubber edge is the same one that runs between the windscreen and the cowl and can be brought cheap from any bmw oem supplier and just finishes it of nicely.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
The car is in the shop so its hard to show how I cut it but there is no water channelling issues as the cowl has water diverting channels just under the windscreen and it diverts it to the corners drains.

I ran a rubber edge along the outside for any water that might stray but it doesn't.

The rubber edge is the same one that runs between the windscreen and the cowl and can be brought cheap from any bmw oem supplier and just finishes it of nicely.
Yeah, I studied the channeling pretty closely the other night and I came to the realization that even if water did somehow make it into the engine bay, it wouldnt even be hitting any important electronics. I think I have a good enough idea of how to cut it properly, and if you're saying the weather strip/gasket on the inside is enough to stop anything extra I think that's the route I'm gonna go too then. TBH even aside from the cost of the M3 cowl, I absolutely hate the look of the DME box cover and that's mostly what was keeping me from the conversion lol. I like the little square with high walls much more than the long jagged cover on the M3.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Maybe in a monsoon type rainfall might be different but the again i dont drive my car in the rain or try not to.

I sanded and polished the edge with plastic polish but the gap was still little to big for me.

I tried to use the rubber strip thats sit on the top of the cowl and between the bonnet but it just didn't look right

I had the strip of rubber from my race car so I tried it and looked way better but it was worn, so
I brought the rubber to hide the cut edge and to minimise the gap and the finished product is in the pics

Guys copy my work, make it your own, only your imagination is your limit.

I have a new coating to try out and if someone is willing to put out their hand up in the great land of down under or a number of coatings you can choose from if you dont like that contact me.

Check this colour combo out

Screenshot_20180916-094034_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Richardlance

Sep 13, 2018
Ride
08 e90 335i
How did you run the pcv/can? The options are endless it seems with vtt's new stuff but it seems there is no consensus on what is best. I need a new cover soon but wanna have a plan before going with this.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is a cheap bastards 101 on the pvc system but it works.

The vac source is from the manifold and the flapper valve source is from rear inlet.
I pulled the pvc valve out of the machined body adapter that screws onto the factory valve cover and made it inline.

The flapper valve just slips into the bms hose

It can be done but the vtt system is much nicer and cleaner.

I will be doing the vtt cans soon when funds allow.

Doing other r&d work atm which is swallowing all my cash

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hydra Performance