VTT Rocker Cover

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Still need to clean engine bay a little and install some custom parts but here you go!!!!!

BTW no need for baffles under the fittings as the cam cover runs very closely to these and stops any direct oil going in the fittings.

Drum Roll Please !!!!!!!!!!!!

20180818_161108.jpg

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Must. Have. Details. On. Coil. Cover.

Looks amazing man. Love what you've done. VTT piece looks to be good quality.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I personally like the VTT cover because its anodized, the smooth finish and getting it powder coated is a breeze.

A mate of mine got the other one that's avaialble but it didn't have the look I'm after.

It looks good too if your after the billet look but I think you would ruin it by painting it.

Resized__IMG_20180813_155010_9087.jpeg

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Why do the billet valve covers on our cars look like they have been doing Chimney work all day? I have not seen a single raw billet VC on an N54 impress me. They always look dirty???

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that, billet is so old school and keeping it looking good is a pain.

Billet has it's place but not in our cars

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That's exactly what we have done here to bring out the best finish possible and it seems like the rest of the internet agrees, I posted it on a number of places and it has been met with the most positive result.

Again VTT has brought us a great product that doesn't break the bank and can be implemented on a budget.

I even managed to piece together a very budget pvc/vta system that works exactly like oem using the old rb/bms catch cans until I build something custom at a later stage.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you've ever done any restorations that have raw aluminum (which is what billet is) you'd know why. Among others, I did a couple airhead BMW restorations and getting raw aluminum to "look right" is an utter pain in the butt. Overhauled several sets of sidedraft carbs for some of my restos as well, same difference. Not to mention keeping the look. Raw aluminum behaves like a porous metal.

IMHO raw aluminum doesn't work well on modern cars. There are aluminum clear coats one can use, but my experience with that has been lackluster over time - heat cycling is the devil. Always.

@martymil your stuff looks bang on. It seems like your car is making real good power and is also looking the part. Congrats!

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Thank God for that quick wipe down, as your compartment was a mess! :sunglasses::sob: ... seriously though, you're bringing it on strooooong.

Filippo

Reactions: martymil

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Interested in what you did for wire management on the PR coiks. Mine looked nothing out ng like yours. Would like to copy that at a minimum.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Little noisy with no cover when cold but once it warms up its barely noticeable.

I wrapped all my wires with nitto high temp electrical tape and electrical tubing.

There is just enough room for the wires to run between the spark plug boots and injectors in the rocker cover valley.

Im temporally using rb outlets, with a lot of finessing we where able to fit them with absolutely no rubbing and clearance issues with the steering wheel in the highest position.

I'll might eventually make my own outlets as I'm looking to go with TFT style inlets, the rb outlets currently get in the way of this happening.

RHD is a biatch to work with.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I like your engine bay setup. One thing though, do you find anything in the passenger side can? It already has a problem catching anything so I can't imagine the heat from the manifolds is helping it catch anything?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It really depends how much boost your pushing, but your right the BMS catch can catches a tiny little bit, rather that in my catch can than the manifold.

I adapted a combination of the stock and rb pvc system to the vtt cover and that's why I like it so much as you can make it your own and basically do anything you like.

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Holy cow man. I never thought the N54 was a particularly "good looking" engine - my LS3 I pulled the cover off of the second I pulled the car in the driveway, but only recently did I do it for the N54 (and it's more for practicality than anything), but man is yours beautiful. I know a lot of your shit is custom but I gotta ask two things at least lol

1. Are those BMS cowl filters that you put some sort of cover on?
2. Is that the stock 1m cowl or a modified stock/regular cowl that you did super super well? I'm tired of yanking that shit off at least once a week (especially with the stock filter still in place) and don't want to spend the ~$300 to get the m3 setup, but also don't know that a modified stock 335 cowl will channel water quite as well as I'd like.

Reactions: martymil