VTT Aluminum Outlet Testing Results!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm not sure about that -depends on if a stock charge pipe would fit on the 1k's (then yes, the v-band model will work) or if not that, the GC version (with silicone couplers) would probably work -but it's best to ask Mauricio on that one.

Chris
@MMP ?

Filippo

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Hey Chris I'm not sure if it's the 2.0 gc turbos, but I'm noticing more spool now earlier on in the rpm range than I used to. Is this because of the aluminum outlets or the wheel changes in the 2.0?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Hey Chris I'm not sure if it's the 2.0 gc turbos, but I'm noticing more spool now earlier on in the rpm range than I used to. Is this because of the aluminum outlets or the wheel changes in the 2.0?

That's 99% the cast manifolds and not the outlet. lol

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
That's 99% the cast manifolds and not the outlet. lol

I still have the 1.0 manifolds it was just the chra that was changed with the new wheels so it's not the manifolds.

I had silicone outlets and switched to aluminum to decrease the risk of any boost leak turbo failures from failed outlets. If it's not that change then maybe my previous turbos had a broken fin longer than I realized or it started as a tiny micro break that got bigger over time and it still worked but caused late spool?

Either way I'm loving the low spool now. I need to get some logs but I only have 200 miles on them. I plan to stay away from wot for at least 1k-2k miles. I want them to break in good.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
FYI, aluminum outlet install guide attached.

install 01.jpg
install 02.jpg
install 03.jpg
install 04.jpg

Attachments

• N54 Aluminum Outlet install guide.pdf
    813.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Just read the install. It mentioned a heat shield? I never got that with mine, did you add that on recently?

That's correct. First several didn't ship with heat shields -not necessary but a nice extra. We can ship you one if you want one (and the trouble of installing it!). Shoot me an email if so.

I don't have the stock outlet anymore. And I have the VRSF 7.5" intercooler. Would the silicone adapter that comes with that intercooler fit on these aluminum outlets? Here is a picture of it..

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-5-st...-kit-07-12-135i-335i-n54-n55-e82-e90-e92.html

Should fit nice.

VTT, you guys are really doing some great things. I've been a big supporter of outlets for a long time, glad to see this on the market.

Thank you! We aim to please. :)

Reactions: Rcboosted2007

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Hey Buster, that's primarily the new turbine wheel you're feeling the difference with. It's fantastic isn't it? :)

Chris

There's definitely a difference. I'm finally at 1k miles and I did a small 5k pull and I'm overboosting like crazy with my old tune. It's set for 25 psi and it overboosted to 30psi and my jb4 switched to map 4 since I set the failsafe to 26psi. I plan to get my tunes readjusted with trebila.

Quick question, I know you guys did testing on 93 octane on the GC 1.0s and hit around 570hp at 30psi if I remember correctly. To me 30psi seems high for 93, but I'm kinda curious if you guys plan to redo that test with the 2.0s to see if there is a power increase?

I plan to switch back to e85 eventually, but I'm on 93 since I was trying to rack up some highway mileage to break these in properly lol.

I just did a quick small pull to less than 5k after adjusting the FF settings and my overboost problem is gone. The log looks great and i didnt even have timing drops. I'm quite suprised how well everything is running now. I did install NGK 97506 so i bet that has helped too.

BTW look at the spool, its coming in at 3119 im at 10psi, then by 3467 im at 24psi. This is on 93 too!

https://datazap.me/u/buster84/log2-25psi?log=0&data=1-3-4-6

BTW we had some 2" silicone outlets made by accident. If anyone is interested in them, they'll go for $65 shipped domestic US. If interested shoot Tony an email; [email protected]. We have about 15 of them.

Wow that's one hell of a price!

That's correct. First several didn't ship with heat shields -not necessary but a nice extra. We can ship you one if you want one (and the trouble of installing it!). Shoot me an email if so.

Will do.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Matt!

We generally do not do much pump gas testing. We finally caved and did those runs with the old GC's to see what they'd do, but no real work was done on the tune. Targeted 4* of timing or so and we just increased boost every run. A real tuner could do more for sure -the old logs are posted back on whatever forums we did those runs.

You're not wrong though, 30 psi on pump gas is a lot -again, we did it through very low timing. Not the most efficient way to make power but it got the job done to just throw down some numbers.

People serious about making power on a small displacement turbo motor will use some higher octane fuel, spray meth, or run alcohol.

Chris

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
BTW we had some 2" silicone outlets made by accident. If anyone is interested in them, they'll go for $65 shipped domestic US. If interested shoot Tony an email; [email protected]. We have about 15 of them.
Still have any 2 inch outlets the accident ones ? They just have a 2 inch connection instead of the 1.81 correct? I have vtt outlets on my stock turbos but have new turbos with a 2 inch snout with a bead roll they are the hydra 650s I was curious which outlets would fit the gc have a 2 inch snout as well ?

Reactions: JBacon335