VTT: 847WHP/726WTQ 170.49 MPH 1/2 Mile Trap

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
VTT.jpg

CARTRAILER.JPG

Just got back from a great trip to SHIFT S3CTOR in CA with the VTT gang. We had a hectic couple of weeks prior to the event with an engine failure on our hands, so last minute swapping in a new motor, troubleshooting, and finishing tuning with the current config kept us very busy!

The day before the event we got the motor in, running, and put her on the dyno for some tuning before we left for the event on Saturday. This is our closed deck 9.5:1 compression motor, with fully built head, larger intake valves, Manley springs, TI retainers, etc. originally from ABR (the Punisher motor for those who were around back then). We had some issues with the motor when we received it, had those issues addressed via a local engine builder, and it made some serious power. Throw in a few sneaky but effective mods -like our velocity stacks- and we had a motor that ran like a top and just begged for more.

With a little help by none other than VTT's favorite N54 tuning guru Justin (V8Bait) the car laid down a more than impressive 847WHP/726WTQ with an astounding 601WTQ by 3000 RPM held to redline, and 700WTQ held flat from 3500-6500RPM. This power, and tq was made with ONLY 25.4 psi at peak power RPM. We also made 776WHP at 21.62 psi boost at peak power! This is a perfect example of why we continually tell people boost is simply measurement of restriction; NOTHING else. Remove restriction, and power stays the same or goes up at the SAME boost pressure.

VELOCITY.JPG

We took the car out to Shift Sector on 2/25/17 with 6 tunes; low, medium, and high boost maps, each with a low and high timing version. Our first pass was with the low boost, low timing map and we ran 162.3x MPH. Our second pass was medium boost, low timing, and we ran 166.29 MPH with traction issues and missing 5th gear. We re-ran, nailed it and set a new N54 1/2 mile record of 170.49 MPH using the medium boost/low timing map (776WHP map with 3 degrees less timing). We're very pleased with this; 170 in the 1/2 -especially at a Shift Sector event (more strict)- is screaming.

TonyCar.JPG

170.49 MPH On-Car Video Pass:

After the 170.49 MPH pass we were ready to have some real fun. We tried to turn up the boost to the high boost/high timing map (850 WHP map), however something happened to the diff or alignment and the car was dangerously uncontrollable. After a few attempts we trailered the car and looked under -one of the alignment bolts for the rear suspension appeared to had moved significantly. Most likely that was our culprit, but it's also possible we cooked the M3 rear differential -we'll have to open it all up and look when we get some time. Even with the car near uncontrollable we managed a 168 MPH run. We belive the car would have been close to 175MPH with the 850WHP map in it, but "cudda" and "did" are two different things. We'll take the 170.49 MPH. ;)

Engine Specs:

-Closed deck 9.5:1 compression N54 short block,
-Forged Rods
-Forged Pistons
-Fully Ported head with oversized intake valves, Manley springs, Ti Retainer
-Stock cams (wait until we get the big cams running!)
-VTT GC turbochargers
-Custom VTT inlets with 6" velocity stacks
-Custom PCV system
-Custom 4" exhaust
-VTT Double Barrel HPFP system
-EOS V2 intake manifold with top PI (we DID use the PI at very low duty cycle on this setup)
-AD-E 1200WHP FMIC
-Custom triple Walbro LPFP set up with Radium Surge tank
-MHD tuner tuned by V8BAIT
-100% E85

Dynos/Graphs:
847WHP graph

847.jpg

AEM Log Grab (backpressure is off/not recording)

847AEM.JPG

776WHP graph
776.jpg

AEM Log Grab (backpressure is off/not recording)

776AEM.JPG

Logs:
AEM 847 Log
http://www.datazap.me/u/vargasturbotech/vtt-gc-847whp?log=0&data=4-5&zoom=96-420
MHD 847 Log
http://www.datazap.me/u/vargasturbotech/vtt-gc-847whp?log=1&data=3-23&zoom=39-90
AEM 776 Log
http://www.datazap.me/u/vargasturbotech/vtt-gc-847whp?log=2&data=4-5&zoom=118-484

We had an awesome time, and I met several of you again -always fun to put faces to names. Terry Burger of BMS tuning was there, along with the BMS crew -always a good time (and they made hamburgers... which were delicious). After the drive home we went out to celebrate and enjoyed some adult beverages.

CELEBRATE.JPG

So what's next? Well, right now the plan is to put the stage 3's on the closed deck motor and make big power. We do have to figure out what's wrong with the suspension/differential, but hopefully that's not a complicated problem to solve.

Q&A:

Q: Can I get 847 whp from GC's?
A: Not recommended. We optimized everything we could to make this much power, and the shaft speeds are very high. When I say "everything" I mean we even welded on a v-band clamp to the throttle to stop any chance of boost leaks at the charge pipe sort of attention to detail. Right now if you want 850 WHP and some longevity you're either looking at our Stage 3 setup or one of the many big single offerings out there (and everything else... including a built motor). Simply put the turbos were absolutely maxed out; 100% WGDC. Why? Oh come on... because racecar.

Q: Why not run the GC+'s?
A: We're canning the GC+ concept; our testing shows that particular turbine is maxed with the compressor wheels we have, and a larger turbine would require a different casting which likely would not fit stock location. Our larger compressor testing showed the same power but worse spool; not a good trade!

Q: Are ball bearings still something you're looking at?
A: Yes, but we had some setbacks that showed us we need to do quite a bit more testing before they're ready to be released (if ever). I'll post more about this as time and testing permits -we know there is an interest!

Q: I thought you guys said the double barrel direct injection system was sufficient for 800 whp?
A: It is, and even after 800 whp the system pressure is sufficient, however we're running out of injector and time to inject at these power levels. We turned on Port Injection for the 850 whp runs for safety and we needed more fuel than we could do purely with DI. It was close, but you don't take chances at these power levels. It is possible one of the MHD wizards could unlock some tables that help us but that's for the wizards to determine and not so much for me to guess about.

Q: Do the velocity stacks help that much?
A: They do help, but everything has to be in place for the advantage to show. At these power levels everything matters.

Q: We thought you guys said the ported head didn't really make much of a difference?
A: This ported head has larger intake valves, and it made a big difference. With a bigger cam we expect even better results. This is good news for the platform as a whole -especially big power chasers.

Q: What's your favorite color?
A: Blue

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So the VAC stage 3 head as an example, does not use larger intake valves? Any information on the velocity stacks?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
All depends on what you order; I'm sure you can add larger valves (and you should). What do you want to know about the inlets? Essentially we used a bellmouth inlet and different routing to maximize smoothness and minimal pressure drop. I could have sworn I had a pic of one with no filter or screen on but I cannot find it on my camera or phone.

Reactions: doublespaces
Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Yaaaasss, the sedan life is real. XD
On topic: epic build guys. Truly something else.

Even though the block is no where near stock. This goes to show how we are approaching the "supra levels" of power. The debate I see on every YouTube video is how the N54 is inferior to the 2JZ but, we have more obstacles to get around then they did. I give it another year or less and we will have 1000whp

Trickcruiser

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cincinnati
Congrats on the impressive numbers and results!
Shame the car got so sketchy on the kill setting but thats how these things always seem to go (for everyone).

One more question, is this a 6spd car or is this the Nizpro trans car (can not view the video right now)?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Congrats on the impressive numbers and results!
Shame the car got so sketchy on the kill setting but thats how these things always seem to go (for everyone).

One more question, is this a 6spd car or is this the Nizpro trans car (can not view the video right now)?

I think this is a manual car? I hear the blow off valve between shifts and you can hear the clutch engaging when they take off.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
VAC Stage 3 sold by MOTIV has 1mm larger valves.

Might be worth noting that these trap speeds are from digs. I think that makes the trap speed all the more impressive.
No its actually not from a dig, you can't launch this car from a dig on those tires its impossible. The process is as follows. Slip the clutch, take off slowly, 1st gear 1/4 throttle get sideways, short shift at 4K, point it straight, second gear at 1/2 throttle, get sideways, short shift at 4500, point it straight, 3rd gear at 3/4 throttle at this point you are a the cones at well under 60MPH which is what everyone rolls from anyways, hope it hooks up at all, if it does hold it down, complete pass. If not lift, and wait another 45 minutes for a run. Keep in mind, not a single BMW I saw was doing anything but starting as far back as they could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
@Chris@VargasTurboTech
@Tony@VargasTurboTech

So from what I've read (that you have written) your double barrel upgrade seems to be held back by the piezo injector... Have you considered experimenting with an n/s55 injectors? Totally different type of injectors but they remain the same overall dimensions and their are multiple different types as well.. Now of course I'm sure dme drivers would need to be altered I'm sure. What git me thinking of this is since the s55 uses a dual HPFP set up it made me wonder if if they changed injectors as well and what they may have done.
Obviously just a thought.. Not sure if you guys have investigated the option at all :)

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
@Chris@VargasTurboTech
@Tony@VargasTurboTech

So from what I've read (that you have written) your double barrel upgrade seems to be held back by the piezo injector... Have you considered experimenting with an n/s55 injectors? Totally different type of injectors but they remain the same overall dimensions and their are multiple different types as well.. Now of course I'm sure dme drivers would need to be altered I'm sure. What git me thinking of this is since the s55 uses a dual HPFP set up it made me wonder if if they changed injectors as well and what they may have done.
Obviously just a thought.. Not sure if you guys have investigated the option at all :)
I do not believe its held up by the injectors at all. We made 800WHP only, and I have made a few discoveries that I believe will allow us to make 900+WHP on DI only with no other changes, and stock injectors. Using injectors from other platforms is not possible without remachining the head, and running a stand alone engine management system

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I do not believe its held up by the injectors at all. We made 800WHP only, and I have made a few discoveries that I believe will allow us to make 900+WHP on DI only with no other changes, and stock injectors. Using injectors from other platforms is not possible without remachining the head, and running a stand alone engine management system

Sounds like you already gave it a though or two lol.. And I was only going off what I had read before.. Wasn't sure where you were with it current day :)

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Yeah those injectors are like 3100cc injectors. The injectors aren't the problem its HPFP keeping the pressure up and injection window.