Volute methanol injection

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Volute injection is great if you remove the Intercooler. I've always been concerned with injecting anything Pre-intercooler that it would pool a good portions of the fluid. Some will evaporate, yes. But i still think a lot would collect on the hot side of the IC.

Just theory, as i haven't tested it with an intercooler, but i did a Volute install on a Grand National with methanol. And also on a older 70's twin turbo camaro on the bottle. Neither had intercoolers though.

Kinda agree. I think pre or volute you might be ok.. but pre IC idk about that. The IC is literally going to act just like a condenser at this point. Once it cools the atomized fine droplets down they are much more likely to condense and pool

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
I don't mind blowing up my stock turbos on my 335i. I also have MMPs aluminum relocation inlets.
I would love to see 2 60 ML/MIN nozzles in the top of the air filters. With a simple 14 psi hobs switch trigger. And then compare the WG duty cycle to before and after. See if it goes down.
There are 2 issues I foresee.
1) water slowing down the turbo impeller and actually increasing the WG duty cycle.
2) based on my research looks like water has to be injected right at the turbo. Really difficult to do on an N54 unless it's a ST. Not sure what effects injecting it so far upstream will have.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There was a guy who sprayed something into his intake box or in the area, I can't remember. It was kind of janky but I think it had results, but it wasn't really something anyone wanted to replicate.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The big fear in pre-intercooler injection of any type is pooling or puddling of the injected fluid in the intercooler. With water the danger is hydrolock. With meth the danger is fire/backfire/explosion risk.

I have never seen any examples of this, but anyone who talks about the negatives (like Twisted did) inevitably brings this up.

Is this fear/uncertainty/doubt rearing its ugly head, or is this a real concern?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The big fear in pre-intercooler injection of any type is pooling or puddling of the injected fluid in the intercooler. With water the danger is hydrolock. With meth the danger is fire/backfire/explosion risk.

I have never seen any examples of this, but anyone who talks about the negatives (like Twisted did) inevitably brings this up.

Is this fear/uncertainty/doubt rearing its ugly head, or is this a real concern?

Its hard to say because when things go south its usually hush hush. Most people aren't proud when they mess up their cars or there are warranty concerns.