VAC ported and polished head

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Hell those head ports suck for FBO much less big power. Probably one of the more constricted head designs I've seen. It won't be 1-2psi. It will be more.

I am also very curious how much the back pressure in the manifold can be reduced while maintaining the same power levels. Looking at the N53 + HP800 setups there is quite some potential.

But the real potential is not reducing back pressure in the manifold (boost) but being able to increase timing significantly. Probably this is where Marty is struggling and stating his opinion that there is not much power to gain around 20psi. Probably not utilizing all the potential.

I have the feeling that the increased turbine housing of the turbo is also a critical player in the whole system.

Omar was at 18 degrees of timing with 20psi i think and that on pump fuel if i remember correctly.

Reactions: Brule

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
We have plenty of engine builders here that know these engines, @V8bait has been tuning it earlier this year but covid stopped everything.

We been taking it easy up until 3 months ago and now we have been working on putting the hp28 in the car and getting all the pieces together
so we don't end up with the car on the hoist for 3 months.

We cant turn it up because it's a certain fact the gearbox will explode at 28psi with this motor on the hp21

There has been enough loss up until now.

We had a drexler diff built just for this car with billet stub axels and BMW motorsport gears to hopefully hold the power.

Time will tell, but the difference in power is minimal on the old motor at 20psi and 18 psi on the new motor.

Once we get it on the dyno and overlay the charts i can show you.
I get it.

I had covid pneumonia. A week at 102 fever. Then a trip to the ER for monoclonal antibodies. 3 days later, admitted for 5 days in the hospital, isolated with IVs hooked up and a pharmacy backed into my veins. I am home ... my lungs are doing fine (good oxygen) ... but as my ENT friend said, it was a traumatic illness which explains why I'm psychologically pretty battered. Not like me at all - I'm a brand new morning every morning kind of guy, but this really did a number on my head. It's going to be a month really before I can do much of anything on the cars - I just don't have it in me. Sadly my wife got it as well, and she was home for a week while I was sequestered. That was rough for her. Wasn't eating when I got home. I spent a few days task mastering her food. She is doing much much better. We are out of the woods ... it's just going to take a while for the view in the rear view mirror to go to zero.

I've had the flu like all of us - it sucks. This made the flu feel like sniffles. Bioweapon for sure.

My other factor - and I am happy to say, @barry@3DM moved to North Carolina and is doing great. But I lost my local buddy. I've got a huge pile of parts here and this is a major job (turbos, head, cams, XClutch, fuel system) and so on to install.

Projects are a bitch. Anyone can start one. Some can muddle through the middle. Few can finish. Finishing is an art. I have plenty going on, given I build, restore and repair instruments. So work is work. I also have everything stacked up here to do my diesel X5 refresh and full deletes. That's a couple weeks with the X5 completely apart. Just hard to think about all this right now.

Good luck on getting your stuff rolling and keep us posted.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I get it.

I had covid pneumonia. A week at 102 fever. Then a trip to the ER for monoclonal antibodies. 3 days later, admitted for 5 days in the hospital, isolated with IVs hooked up and a pharmacy backed into my veins. I am home ... my lungs are doing fine (good oxygen) ... but as my ENT friend said, it was a traumatic illness which explains why I'm psychologically pretty battered. Not like me at all - I'm a brand new morning every morning kind of guy, but this really did a number on my head. It's going to be a month really before I can do much of anything on the cars - I just don't have it in me. Sadly my wife got it as well, and she was home for a week while I was sequestered. That was rough for her. Wasn't eating when I got home. I spent a few days task mastering her food. She is doing much much better. We are out of the woods ... it's just going to take a while for the view in the rear view mirror to go to zero.

I've had the flu like all of us - it sucks. This made the flu feel like sniffles. Bioweapon for sure.

My other factor - and I am happy to say, @barry@3DM moved to North Carolina and is doing great. But I lost my local buddy. I've got a huge pile of parts here and this is a major job (turbos, head, cams, XClutch, fuel system) and so on to install.

Projects are a bitch. Anyone can start one. Some can muddle through the middle. Few can finish. Finishing is an art. I have plenty going on, given I build, restore and repair instruments. So work is work. I also have everything stacked up here to do my diesel X5 refresh and full deletes. That's a couple weeks with the X5 completely apart. Just hard to think about all this right now.

Glad you made it through. Sending thoughts for continued recovery.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I am also very curious how much the back pressure in the manifold can be reduced while maintaining the same power levels. Looking at the N53 + HP800 setups there is quite some potential.

But the real potential is not reducing back pressure in the manifold (boost) but being able to increase timing significantly. Probably this is where Marty is struggling and stating his opinion that there is not much power to gain around 20psi. Probably not utilizing all the potential.

I have the feeling that the increased turbine housing of the turbo is also a critical player in the whole system.

Omar was at 18 degrees of timing with 20psi i think and that on pump fuel if i remember correctly.
I'm not struggling with anything, we have no restrictions in our setup anywhere, the only difference is the head and cams.

At 20 psi you won't utilise the full potential of the head work and don't see any real benefit vs cost, it's only when you start to bump up the boost post 20psi where the similarity ends and the head porting and increased flow gives you benefits.

So I stand by my statement there is no great benefit between a stock head and a ported n54 head at 20 psi on clean 93 unless you start to blend or run straight e85 and that's not what he wanted to do.

It will gain some but not as much as he was expecting that's all.

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Increased timing advance on same fuels between the two heads sounds like a major upgrade to me.
I'm curious to see how big the difference will be with the N54 ported head vs stock.
My spare cylinder head is waiting to be shipped as well.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I get it.

I am really sorry you had to go through that. I have heard of many people having 'covid head' and it lasting for months. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery and am glad you survived. This is not a normal Flu and people make it out like it is nothing, as you explained.

Manufactured in a lab in Wuhan I agree 100% the facts don't lie. I can't believe the world does not have the balls to hold China accountable for the Billions of $$$ lost and loss of life. If we can't hold their feet to the fire when they release a bioweapon(even if it was an accident) when ever will the world actually do something? They are smart, playing the long game, starting a war is not how you control the Globe and shape mankind's future. Economic and Political influence/control. Hell just look at how China straight up owns & controls Australia: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...stralia-buying-infrastructure-land-water.html

I hear that about projects. I think I have around 6k+ sitting in my Sauna of parts to install on the N54. With a family, work, and life there is only so much time for various hobbies. For me in the fall it feels like every weekend is 1/2 split between hunting white tails on Saturday and watching Patriots football on Sunday.

Last edited:

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I am really sorry you had to go through that. I have heard of many people having 'covid head' and it lasting for months. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery. Manufactured in a lab in Wuhan I agree 100% the facts don't lie. I can't believe the world does not have the balls to hold China accountable for the Billions of $$$ lost and loss of life. If we can't hold their feet to the fire when they release a bioweapon(even if it was an accident) when ever will the world actually do something? They are smart, playing the long game, starting a war is not how you control the Globe and shape mankind's future. Economic and Political influence/control. Hell just look at how China straight up owns & controls Australia: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...stralia-buying-infrastructure-land-water.html
Covid could have it's own thread, a long one at that

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
How about fuck China and the Wuhan flu?
Govt fault. PERIOD.
I dont care who started it, who funded it, who conspired to it, etc
Bottom line is, the GOVT FAILED to protect the U.S.
furthermore, the GOVT is ALWAYS fucking its people.
Cancer can be minimized, but they allow all the crap to be put in foods.
Many companies in the U.S. are BANNED in other countries because of this, yet the U.S. allows it.
Lets see now...also it is illegal for me to kill my enemy. Yet it is OK to join the military and kill (not my enemies) but the enemies of the higher ups (usually has to do with money), and not go to jail...and If you refuse to follow the orders to kill, you can go to jail for failure to do so.....list goes on and on....
Social Security, LMAO !!! they dont want you to collect until you are dead. Its our money, NOT the GOVT....yet it wont go to next of kin when you pass, fuckn thieves keep it.
Dont get me started, fuck the GOVT 🖕🏾🖕🏾🖕🏾

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
G
I am really sorry you had to go through that. I have heard of many people having 'covid head' and it lasting for months. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery and am glad you survived. This is not a normal Flu and people make it out like it is nothing, as you explained.

Manufactured in a lab in Wuhan I agree 100% the facts don't lie. I can't believe the world does not have the balls to hold China accountable for the Billions of $$$ lost and loss of life. If we can't hold their feet to the fire when they release a bioweapon(even if it was an accident) when ever will the world actually do something? They are smart, playing the long game, starting a war is not how you control the Globe and shape mankind's future. Economic and Political influence/control. Hell just look at how China straight up owns & controls Australia: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...stralia-buying-infrastructure-land-water.html

I hear that about projects. I think I have around 6k+ sitting in my Sauna of parts to install on the N54. With a family, work, and life there is only so much time for various hobbies. For me in the fall it feels like every weekend is 1/2 split between hunting white tails on Saturday and watching Patriots football on Sunday.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've got a few thousand dollars if stereo equipment I started collecting a few years ago collecting dust waiting to go into my e84. Eventually I'll start a thread when it starts to go in. When the kids are a little older....

Attachments

• 20211101_211003.jpg
    20211101_211003.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 31

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
G
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've got a few thousand dollars if stereo equipment I started collecting a few years ago collecting dust waiting to go into my e84. Eventually I'll start a thread when it starts to go in. When the kids are a little older....
I've done 97% of the sound system in the Z4. Huge project and in hindsight it's one of those not convinced I should have done it. Though it is still running standard programming config and has not been calibrated and tuned. Z4 has an insane amount of speakers in it. One nice thing is there is literally nothing to see. It looks completely factory. It's really time to get my buddy @Lurcher to drop in an tune it, when he's in the area. Good excuse of a dinner out, catching up, too!

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.24.27 AM.png

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I've done 97% of the sound system in the Z4. Huge project and in hindsight it's one of those not convinced I should have done it. Though it is still running standard programming config and has not been calibrated and tuned. Z4 has an insane amount of speakers in it. One nice thing is there is literally nothing to see. It looks completely factory. It's really time to get my buddy @Lurcher to drop in an tune it, when he's in the area. Good excuse of a dinner out, catching up, too!

View attachment 61749

Huge project is right! You really need a passion for all the effort to be worth it. I read your stereo thread, it's a great looking project. I really like the stealth approach. That's one of my goals, but there will just be no hiding the sub enclosure in back. Here's my current working model for the enclosure - vented alignment tuned about 25 Hz. And a predicted frequency response plot of my chosen alignment layed over the same subs in a sealed enclosure. Not stealth at all, but with all the engineering inside that box, I thought it would be nice to show off the guts a little. If I do that plexiglass baffle insert, it will be 2" thick acrylic to get the stiffness I'm looking for. My poor e84 will be on a see food diet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-211427_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200617-211427_Messages.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200623_093054.jpg
    20200623_093054.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: fmorelli and Torgus

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Govt fault. PERIOD.
I dont care who started it, who funded it, who conspired to it, etc
Bottom line is, the GOVT FAILED to protect the U.S.
furthermore, the GOVT is ALWAYS fucking its people.
Cancer can be minimized, but they allow all the crap to be put in foods.
Many companies in the U.S. are BANNED in other countries because of this, yet the U.S. allows it.
Lets see now...also it is illegal for me to kill my enemy. Yet it is OK to join the military and kill (not my enemies) but the enemies of the higher ups (usually has to do with money), and not go to jail...and If you refuse to follow the orders to kill, you can go to jail for failure to do so.....list goes on and on....
Social Security, LMAO !!! they dont want you to collect until you are dead. Its our money, NOT the GOVT....yet it wont go to next of kin when you pass, fuckn thieves keep it.
Dont get me started, fuck the GOVT 🖕🏾🖕🏾🖕🏾
Man us e93 guys really hate the government 😂😂👍

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Huge project is right! You really need a passion for all the effort to be worth it. I read your stereo thread, it's a great looking project. I really like the stealth approach. That's one of my goals, but there will just be no hiding the sub enclosure in back. Here's my current working model for the enclosure - vented alignment tuned about 25 Hz. And a predicted frequency response plot of my chosen alignment layed over the same subs in a sealed enclosure. Not stealth at all, but with all the engineering inside that box, I thought it would be nice to show off the guts a little. If I do that plexiglass baffle insert, it will be 2" thick acrylic to get the stiffness I'm looking for. My poor e84 will be on a see food diet.
Glad to see someone doing something stupid. I feel much better now. Thanks!