V8Bait

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
This cocky mofo said he could get more power out of my car. I was already tuned by another tuner (which I will not name), but Justin said he could squeeze more out. The conversation started when I asked him a couple of questions regarding tuning as I was happy, BUT not 100% satisfied if that makes sense. So I said Fuck it, lets see. A few revisions later, and here we are. Hit the dyno today. Same dyno I always use and weather conditions were a little warmer today. Max psi is 26, old tune was 25psi max.
Car is FBO, FULL E85, Pure stg2 "dd"
Dyno graph is overlay of today vs my dyno from 2 years ago on previous tune.
Thanks again Doc, appreciate it.
Oh, and Dont call my car names no more šŸ˜”
BTW, if this could or should be in a different category, please move. Im on mobile and shits kinda weird.
20200514_205942.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Really doesn't mean a whole lot without logs. One tune could have 100 revisions and the other one could have five. Also, weather difference between middle of January and middle of May are usually fairly significant.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Really doesn't mean a whole lot without logs. One tune could have 100 revisions and the other one could have five. Also, weather difference between middle of January and middle of May are usually fairly significant.
Correct
It was colder in January than in May.
Last tune literally had 30 revisions. Justin did 8.
Meaning it should / could make more power in January when it was much colder, but made more power in May.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Correct
It was colder in January than in May.
Last tune literally had 30 revisions. Justin did 8.
Meaning it should / could make more power in January when it was much colder, but made more power in May.

Oh, I thought you were saying it didn't produce more power so I had it backwards. Congrats.

Reactions: SlowE93

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Did I call her high maintenance? Shoot, I must have meant "high excellence", naturally! And don't worry 'bout that extra weight in her trunk E93, it's because she does squats.

Really though I'm glad it all came together well. Like any good inanimate machine she knows what she likes.

Reactions: SlowE93

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Did I call her high maintenance? Shoot, I must have meant "high excellence", naturally! And don't worry 'bout that extra weight in her trunk E93, it's because she does squats.

Really though I'm glad it all came together well. Like any good inanimate machine she knows what she likes.
Bruh, You low key called her a fat bitch ! ā˜¹
I CAN read between the lines šŸ˜”

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Abacus38 and V8bait

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Btw, car is on same hardware and fueling. Absolutely no hardware changes, only tuning changes.
I have to recommend Dr. Witch from this point forward.
I spent the money twice to see if a tuner vs tuner really does make a difference.
It absolutely makes a difference.

Reactions: matreyia

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
Correct. Without getting into a mess of details on boost profile and all that.....simply put, per psi, V8 bait squeezed more power out. Not sure how he did it, but NO, he didnt add a bunch of timing to accomplish this. He some type a WITCH I think.šŸ¤”
If all is equal as you state then cam angle is the difference.

I feel like the true test of a tuner is not in dynos and WOT as you are only in that condition for less than 1% of the time. Driveability is where I make my judgment call. For me this generally means tuning my own cars. šŸ˜‚

• Agree
Reactions: V8bait and Asbjorn

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
If all is equal as you state then cam angle is the difference.

I feel like the true test of a tuner is not in dynos and WOT as you are only in that condition for less than 1% of the time. Driveability is where I make my judgment call. For me this generally means tuning my own cars. šŸ˜‚
Yes, all is equal. This is why I said I do not want to name the other tuner because of the variables and do not want to discredit anyone.
The thread was just to say thx to the Dr. and voice my opinion on my personal experience with Justin.
Car did 3 pulls and power was consistent. All made max power at 6600rpm. Here is a screenshot of a video as I dont have all the graphs on one paper ( I didnt care to ask for one, only the overlay to see if I had any gains and where in the rpm range).
These are also out of order.
1st was 614
2nd was 617
3rd was 616
20200515_015944.jpg

Oh, and no driveability issues. Car is smooth on BOTH tunes I tried.
Also note worthy is car is Jb4 which many people wont touch and some complain about driveability issues.
No issues with my Jb4 as BOTH tuners knew how to work with them very well.

Reactions: Cruizinmax

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Why didn't you flash the other tune to do a dyno under the same conditions? Both tuners could have learned from that, and the comparison would have been much more valid.

And why not say who the old tuner was? (edit ok you clarified that now) From my perspective picking a tuner isn't about peak power at all. In fact I would pick the one promising the least power because I want a conservative tune that also works on lap number 10 when everything is hot. And if it was only an exercise about peak power, Im not sure that it is really rocket science anyhow?

What is there to improve besides timing and boost? afr, vanos? And you can log all of those right. No reason to think of it as witchcraft?

Maybe Im too simple minded...

Reactions: yuli8466

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Why didn't you flash the other tune to do a dyno under the same conditions? Both tuners could have learned from that, and he comparison would have been much more valid.

And why not say who the old tuner was? From my perspective picking a tuner isn't about peak power at all. In fact I would pick the one promising the least power because I want a conservative tune that also works on lap number 10 when everything is hot. And if it was only an exercise about peak power, Im not sure that it is really rocket science anyhow?

What is there to improve besides timing and boost? afr, vanos? And you can log all of those right. No reason to think of it has witchcraft?

Maybe Im too simple minded...
I ran the other tune for 2 years. The date is at the bottom of the dyno sheet.
I wasnt going to pay for another run to flash the old tune and all that crap and keep beating on the car. Its not that serious. Once again, and this is why I wouldnt name the other tuner, I understand variables. Warmer day, roughly same dyno time, same dyno, same location, same elevation.
The other tuner has tuned many N54s with same turbos, all yield very similar results (under 600whp, I believe 59x was highest I saw)so I didnt think there was much gains to be had. I did spend a lil change with Justin just to see if it was possible and it was.

This was just to satisfy my curiosity, nothing else as I seen a few Pure dd on this site that were well over 600whp with about the same boost and I only had made 580.

As far as what tuning changes were made, you would have to ask Justin.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
All jokes aside @V8bait has been behind all our record runs and tuning of our single kit, he has helped us tune the gremlins out and have the
most powerful single turbo in OZ and yet more to come, just waiting on the fabricator to finish up a few changes.

• Love
Reactions: V8bait and SlowE93