Technical Using Microsquirt for port injection

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I have seen some comments relating to using a Microsquirt to handle port injection on N54 and N55's. I have been searching all morning and have found some decent information but nothing really in depth or platform specific. Does anyone here have any resources on this type of project? Thanks.

Last edited:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I believe there's a project in the works to bring the megasquirt or the microsquirt to the table in a PnP fashion for flash only PI that includes closed loop adjust, lpfp activation, st boost control etc similar to the haltech but at a lower price point. We'll see if it happens though.

If you want to try to use one, what's stopping you? Not much different on these cars than any other cars.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I have zero experience with MS but I will just do my homework and try to get an idea as to how complicated it would be to do right.

Well you'll need tmap tapped, cps, and any additional you'd like to use such as o2, fuel pressures etc. You'll need to calibrate all of these. Cps is a typical 60-2 configuration iirc, o2 you may need external if you can get OEM to work, etc etc but you only need as many inputs as you feel necessary. AIC uses rpm (not even off the crank sensor) and boost and that's all.

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
Batch-fire with micro-squirt wouldn't be terrible. the reluctor on the crank is common on the older motors (i have Ms'd m5x/m2x/m3x). Personally i wouldn't feel "safe" with just micro due to lack of native knock detection. you would need to add like for example "knock sense MS" http://www.viatrack.ca/. just food for thought.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
I have been considering sequential port injection controlled by MEVD17. Main issue is when to output the pulse width for each cylinder. I can calculate it based on the DI pulse widths but it could be one combustion event late for a transient, misfire or fuel cut due to a limiter. Much better than present, but not perfect enough? Tell me...

Also how would people feel about soldering an SO8 to the DME? Just after we've stopped removing them to flash but a dedicated high speed comms channel for PI control would be epic.

I have the hardware lined up after a lot of related R&D, just needs time and business case. How many will buy it?

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Main issue is when to output the pulse width for each cylinder. I can calculate it based on the DI pulse widths but it could be one combustion event late for a transient, misfire or fuel cut due to a limiter. Much better than present, but not perfect enough?

It wouldn't matter if you also cut spark on the subsequent event. Cutting spark when DI is cut would even give enough safety to most current PI controllers like AIC.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Would a sequential injection in normal circumstances with a properly calculated injection quantity (unlike the external controllers) and a maximum of being one combustion event "late" rather than hundreds at present be a significant enough benefit is the remaining question?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Would a sequential injection in normal circumstances with a properly calculated injection quantity (unlike the external controllers) and a maximum of being one combustion event "late" rather than hundreds at present be a significant enough benefit is the remaining question?

I think so, but not enough to open DME's and solder the chip in.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
How many batch fire injection events do the port injection controllers do per engine rotation? Do they do every 20 crank teeth like on say the falling edge of the "tacho" feed signal they get, or do they deliberately skip input pulses and only pulse their outputs once per engine revolution?