turbo drain oil scavenge pumps?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I don't think you know our setup, the turbo sits below oil level because its rhd and the steering column is in the way, we have no choice but to run a scavange pump on our single kit.
You guys could just make a dry sump kit and then you won't need a scavenge pump for the turbo...plus it would make me happy. :D

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Just no room in our engine bays.
There's room for an integrated sump/pump kit like this one:
upload_2018-7-8_14-19-17.png

https://www.vividracing.com/power-b...mp-kit-honda-k20-k24-engines-p-151655774.html

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
No chance of fitting that in our engine bay that pan is just to high, the only way you could do one is externalize the pump and then there is no room for it that either.

Looked into it, either way it would be a minimum 10k exercise.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
No chance of fitting that in our engine bay that pan is just to high, the only way you could do one is externalize the pump and then there is no room for it that either.

Looked into it, either way it would be a minimum 10k exercise.
On a dry sump, there's suction in the pan to scavenge the oil and reduce windage. So, routing the turbo outlet to the drain pan bolt in an integrated setup would work just fine. You may very well be right on first article cost though.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I think he's referring to the massive size pumps needed for the sump. The pan will fit fine as will the pluming. I believe VTT runs a sump on their racecar. I looked into this for my engine as well but the price was astronomical and not ideal for daily driving.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The fabricator i work with builds 4 dry sumps a week for gtr's and he knows what it takes to build one, when we had the car on the hoist we explored the possibility but he admitted it would be crazy expensive if at all possible, the expense outweighs the benefits.

Unless you have already spent every last dollar on the engine/car setup and there is nothing left to do but the sump then go for it, if you have money to blow. There is cheaper ways to go faster.

Sequential box
Properly setup suspension.
Better wheels (carbon fibre)
Syvecs
Better Tyres.
Carbon fibre body panels.
Carbon fibre rotors

Im only scraping the top of the barrel what will make your car go faster and cheaper.

The parts mentioned already cost more than most of our cars cost and each one will gain you better results than a
dry sump system that hasn't been designed or proven yet.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tippin

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
RBrracing is good, On my old cars low mount system I went with their pump and it worked fine but it's a hassle so if you can avoid it, do so. I ended changing my turbo kit up to get away from it.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
RBrracing is good, On my old cars low mount system I went with their pump and it worked fine but it's a hassle so if you can avoid it, do so. I ended changing my turbo kit up to get away from it.

What did you not like about it / what was a hassle exactly?

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Just worrying about pump failure, mounting, hose routing, wiring, etc. I did have a fail safe but it was just extra crap that I did not want to deal with. Of course this was on a turbo RX8 where everything was tight AF to fit.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The problem you have with scavenge pumps is getting the balance right between suction and turbo drain, this is where the turbo drain sump comes in to play and a properly setup breather system not to suck the cartridge dry.

Its a bit of a pain in the ass to get right and if you can get away not using it your better off as the cost can/will run above 1k, better off spending the money else where