Turbo connections

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
They blow due to oil fatigue of (RB outlet) silicone and the expansion and contraction cos it's a shit material to use for outlets. Mine burst in areas that are not exposed to extreme heat, I wrapped the parts nearest the manifolds.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
The only thing the small TD03 compressor housings (stock, china 17T, china 19T, Pure, etc) is good for, is fast spool and the ability to use aluminum outlets. Be aware that these alu outlets are not full 2"but rather something around 1.7 actual inner diameter and will be a possible limitation when you do manage to get them to fit on TD04 housings.

When moving on to TD04 housings (RB, MMP, Hydra) you'll need to use silicone outlets. You get true 2" outlets here. By now it has been established that ALL vendors silicone outlets have a melt and rip risk as installation is tricky and it's even more tricky to keep them in that position.

There are several remedies for this. One is heat reflective tape, the other is exhaust band. I haven't tested by outlet yet but i'm pretty confident that I won't have any issues:

Yeaaaaaah, I tried that with the MMP outlets. I had gold foil as well as the actual fiberglass/metal DEI shielding on the outlets. Still blew up.

I think the lack of aluminum outlets for the 2" size is brutal. :(

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Hopefully my RB evo style outlets last. I do not love being limited to only that style outlet but the compressor housings are clocked so the outlets are far away as possible from the manifolds. I have seen a decent amount of posts where the coupler failed on the VRSF aluminum outlets.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Yeah my GCs blew up about 3 weeks ago.
The China 17Ts have shown great results. Not far off my GCs to be honest.
I think there are various limitations in the system.
I had to limit boost on my GCs in low rpm to avoid the risk of bending rods and in the high rpm I generally kept to 27 psi max. Just to keep the stock engine happy.
I've had my rb outlets for 3 years. They've done well. I will closely inspect them once fitting the 19Ts.
So honestly I don't think a China 19T will be a limitation for me and at around $1000 I can't complain.