Track Car Coding

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
This is going to be lengthy, go grab a coffee or beer. I've done an extreme amount of googling and the closest I can get to any of this is people swapping seats. I'm sure any info gained here will be useful for E82/E9X people wanting to strip their cars.

So I'm converting my 2012 135 to a track car and removing lots of things from it, but the main issues are:

Seats and seatbelts
Airbags and impact sensors (removing all but front passenger)
Sunroof/FZD/lighting/rain sensor(unfortunately)
MEDIA/ECALL (I don't know if these are actually causing issues)

Ideally I'd like to completely remove the ABG module, FZD, and MEDIA but the car is super pissed about them being gone. I've tried all sorts of things with VO codes, putting the modules back and turning everything off, etc. and it's still pissed. I'll try and go through them one at a time and explain what I've tried:

Seats/seatbelts - I've removed VO codes $459(power seats w. memory) $481(sport seats) $488(lumbar support) and added $4FB(omission of sport seats) and the BFS and FAS modules don't show up anymore but the seat belt light still comes on. The airbag light is also on, but this could have to do with the side curtain airbags and side impact sensors being gone. I tried adding $4FA which is supposed to be the Recaro seat option, didn't do anything. I found and tried -RECA, did nothing. I tried going in the ABG module and turning off anything seat related, OC3, seatbelt tensioners, etc.

AIrbags - I tried adding VO codes: $V63 (Airbag Deactivation) and it didn't do anything, $165, $257, $259, $5DA also did nothing. I tried making basically everything in the ABG module nickt_activ and it's still throwing errors for almost all the airbags. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the impact sensors being gone? I also tried going back to stock and only deleting the seat related things to see if I could get the seatbelt light to turn off with no luck. Somehow I'm even getting errors for the two front airbags that are still there (for now.)

I also tried looking through KOMBI to just get the warnings to go away with no luck. The only thing I found was the alive counter option for ABG, turned thatoff and unplugged ABG completely but still got the seatbelt and airbag warnings. Simply turning the errors off in the KOMBI is probably the ideal solution so I can just yank the ABG module and associated wiring, but I didn't see anything related to that.

Sunroof, FZD, RLS - I removed $403 (sunroof) $563 (lighting package) $6AA (BMW Teleservices) and $6AB (control, teleservices) but FZD and RLS still show up in the module list. One thing I just realized that I left was $521 (rain sensor) which goes through the FZD. I was hoping to leave the RLS but just saw it's connected to the FZD via LIN bus. I'll try to delete $521 and see what happens. I'm not really convinced these are/will cause any issues being gone though. EDIT: just noticed I also left $319(homelink) $431(rearview auto dimming) and $4NA(interior mirror with compass) which probably all also go through the FZD.

MEDIA/ECALL - I changed the MOST loop to bypass the MEDIA module and removed VO codes: $639(preparation for mobile phone) and $655(satellite radio) as well as the two above, $6AA and $6AB which are the teleservices. The MEDIA and ECALL still show up as modules. Also not convinced that these are causing any real issues but if I could get them to go away that'd be great.

I've been through everything I can think of to get rid of this stuff, but if anyone has ideas please let me know, I'm all ears! Thanks yall.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
I'm going to spend some more time on this tonight and see if I can make any progress. I think maybe I have to leave on any airbags or sensors that are still connected. The only ones at the moment being the passenger front airbag and the two sensors inside the door. I think maybe it's like the TPMS where if it's still connected and you try to code it off it'll throw an error.

The E9x/E82 doesn't have knee airbags?

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
If I'm not wrong you need an ibac code to deactivate airbag

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Not 100% sure but when i removed my headliner I just coded out any errors from them not being plugged in. Using ProTool, i got rid of my airbag light. Whether or not they will still deploy idk. I would think not.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
Alright, we Gucci... The car is happy as can be now. I tried going back to basics then moving forward so I'll try and recap the best I can:

I put everything back to stock coding and VO Codes
Deleted the codes shown in my VO list below as -$
Seats disappeared, RLS disappeared :(
Coded off all the airbags that were disconnected, the seat belt stuff, and the occupancy mat stuff in the ABG

This still resulted in 4 errors... making progress. Doing some translation the errors were pillar X left, pillar Y left, pillar X right, pillar Y right... the two accelerpmeters in the B pillars, no duh.

Plugged the sensors in... All the errors immediately disappeared. Whoo!
Still getting an SOS error on the KOMBI

I found these two parameters in the KOMBI:

COMBOX_ALIVE_MONITOR
COMBIX_ID_MONITOR

well, I took out the COMBOX so I set these both to nicht_activ... SOS error gone from the KOMBI.

This got me thinking and sure as shit right above those were:

SFY_ALIVE_ZAEHLER
SFY_ID_MONITOR

SFY is the airbag stuff... just for shits and giggles I set these to night_activ and completely unplugged the ABG module.

No errors! The car is now perfectly happy with no seats, no seat belts, no occupancy sensors, no accelerometers or other crash sensors, no airbags, and no airbag module, no COMBOX, no FZD.

I don't know if it was necessary to set everything in the ABG module as I did or if you could skip straight to just turning off the errors in the KOMBI. I'd just go straight to the KOMBI first and see what happens, if not remove everything, code the ABG then set the parameters in the KOMBI and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
Forgot my VO list:

E82_#0311&LWSW
%0668*UC93
$1CA -DUMMY
$249 -multi function steering wheel
$2MR -wheels
$2TC -DCT
-$319 -Homelink remote control
$321 -Model lettering
$337 -M sport
-$403 -Sunroof
-$430 -Inside/outside auto dimming mirrors
-$431 -Rear view mirror auto dimming
-$459 -Power seats with memory
-$473 -Armrest
-$481 -Sport Seats
-$488 -Lumbar support driver/passenger
$4MG -Aluminum Glacier trim
-$4NA -Interior Mirror with compass
$4NE -Blow By Heater
$502 -Headlight cleaning system
-$521 -Rain Sensor
$522 -Xenon Lights
$524 -Adaptive Headlights
$534 -auto AC
$540 -Cruse Control
-$563 -lighting package
$570 -Reinforced power supply
-$639 -Preparation for mobile phone
$645 -BMW US Radio
-$655 -Satellite Radio
$663 -Radio Professional
$676 -HiFi System
$697 -Radio BMW Professional
-$6AA -BMW Teleservices
-$6AB -Control, Teleservices
$6FL -USB Audio interface
$6VC -DUMMY
$704 -M Sport Suspension
$760 -High Gloss Shadow Line
$775 -Headliner Antracite
$7XA -M steering wheel with paddle shift and multifunction
$823 -Hot Climate
$840 -Omission of remote for radio
-$845 -Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
$850 -Additional export tank filling
$853 -Language English
$876 -Radio frequency 315MHz (FOB)
$8TL -DUMMY
$8TN -DUMMY
$925
-B080+KRAD+NPOW -Dispatch protection pack

***TPMS ALREADY REMOVED VO $2VB

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
About the combox delete, remove $6VC vho is the combox and don't forget to close the most loop

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
About the combox delete, remove $6VC vho is the combox and don't forget to close the most loop

Oh cool, I’ll try that. The list I have listed $6VC as a dummy. MOST is already bypassed, radio works fine with just the door speakers and passenger side sub. I didn’t have the heart to pull it all the way out yet.

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
As you can see SA6VC is combox

Attachments

• combox.jpg
    combox.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 87

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just wondering if there is anyway just to turn off the passenger and driver killer airbags.

I think I rather take my chances without them.

Or can I just disconnect them and use a resistor ?

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
Just wondering if there is anyway just to turn off the passenger and driver killer airbags.

I think I rather take my chances without them.

Or can I just disconnect them and use a resistor ?

Yes, there is but why do you want to get rid of them? The only way they're not hugely beneficial is if you're in a fixed seat, with roll over protection, and six point harnesses. If you're still using a three-point you are far, far safer with them, no matter what you read on facebook.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The replacement air bags are new but the same as the old ones and when they deploy can send out shrapnel like the old ones.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
So go have them replaced again? I think there's a second recall for the suspect replacement bags.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There's no second recall in Australia.

Even the second recall new airbags have the same issue in 5 years time

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
I dunno man. You do you. There's enough info here and elsewhere to figure out how to do it if you're really motivated, I'm going to sit this one out.

csmalem

Dec 20, 2020
Alright, we Gucci... The car is happy as can be now. I tried going back to basics then moving forward so I'll try and recap the best I can:

I put everything back to stock coding and VO Codes
Deleted the codes shown in my VO list below as -$
Seats disappeared, RLS disappeared :(
Coded off all the airbags that were disconnected, the seat belt stuff, and the occupancy mat stuff in the ABG

This still resulted in 4 errors... making progress. Doing some translation the errors were pillar X left, pillar Y left, pillar X right, pillar Y right... the two accelerpmeters in the B pillars, no duh.

Plugged the sensors in... All the errors immediately disappeared. Whoo!
Still getting an SOS error on the KOMBI

I found these two parameters in the KOMBI:

COMBOX_ALIVE_MONITOR
COMBIX_ID_MONITOR

well, I took out the COMBOX so I set these both to nicht_activ... SOS error gone from the KOMBI.

This got me thinking and sure as shit right above those were:

SFY_ALIVE_ZAEHLER
SFY_ID_MONITOR

SFY is the airbag stuff... just for shits and giggles I set these to night_activ and completely unplugged the ABG module.

No errors! The car is now perfectly happy with no seats, no seat belts, no occupancy sensors, no accelerometers or other crash sensors, no airbags, and no airbag module, no COMBOX, no FZD.

I don't know if it was necessary to set everything in the ABG module as I did or if you could skip straight to just turning off the errors in the KOMBI. I'd just go straight to the KOMBI first and see what happens, if not remove everything, code the ABG then set the parameters in the KOMBI and you should be good to go.
Is this all being done though INPA? I'm doing a similar project on my E92 M3, we just stripped the interior and shell is out getting cage welded in. I have not hooked battery up or attempted to code any modules out knowing this will be the next major task. I bought a laptop with INPA but have no idea where to begin.