Ticking Under Partial Throttle

MooreBoost

Lurker
Jan 20, 2018
There is an audible ticking / knocking noise coming from my engine bay.

It only occurs when both of these circumstances apply:
  • Between approximately 1,500 and 2,500 RPM. Not above or below.
  • Between approximately 15% and 25% throttle. Not above or below.
Thus, it doesn't occur while cruising or at WOT, and I cannot replicate it by revving while the car is in park.

It drives great otherwise, and there are no codes.

The engine received a very clean bill of health from Blackstone.

95k miles.

Any thoughts?

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
I use to run Mobil one, honestly didn't like it from day one. Engine seemed a lot louder(lifters). I would start by switching oils, see if you notice difference. What index injectors you have?

MooreBoost

Lurker
Jan 20, 2018
I use to run Mobil one, honestly didn't like it from day one. Engine seemed a lot louder(lifters). I would start by switching oils, see if you notice difference. What index injectors you have?

What oil do you run now?

I'm not sure on the injectors. I think they're factory.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
What oil do you run now?

I'm not sure on the injectors. I think they're factory.

There are (no kidding) 12 versions of the factory injectors. The latest version has a major change to the internal damping oil. They are generally considered to be quieter than the previous 11 versions.

MooreBoost

Lurker
Jan 20, 2018
There are (no kidding) 12 versions of the factory injectors. The latest version has a major change to the internal damping oil. They are generally considered to be quieter than the previous 11 versions.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I don't think they've ever been replaced. So whatever index came from the factory in '10. Thank you though.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
A couple things you may here.

1. Injectors. Even index 12s are know to have an odd ball that ticks when hot usually.you can usually here them at idle.

2. Lifters. Try a different oil like stated above. But this engine dosnt suffer from lifter problem like it's little sister did, didn't mean it can't happen. Sure you need an oil change anyways. Grad some rotella T6

3. Belt mis alignment. on n54s and esp modded ones this has been the most common for me. Check power steering pump bolts. They back out, sometimes all the way causes a belt misalignment which even the best automotive ear will label as a ticking noise. Only Happens in the condition you described usually.

Reactions: MattGu40