Think i may be the first on fly switchable maps

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I didn't know the JB4 could blend between two full fully tunable timing maps, IAT compensation maps, AFR maps, fuel scalar maps, load request maps, etc :cool:

Yes of course, we always set it up to take advantage of any advancements you make on the flash side. In this case you'd feed one of the JB4 0-5v outputs in to the ECU to give it the ability to transition between a high a low map setting built in to the flash.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I love idea of jb4 but its always faster to teach someone sonething then to have then ask someone else do it if you get what I'm saying. Jb4 will always be reactive with little extra latency on each io

There isn't any "latency" as any signals going in to the DME are changed faster than the DME is sampling them. Otherwise you'll get lazy sensor fault codes.

With something like this interfacing the JB4 in to the new MHD flash logic I'd have to adjust the firmware for the first few people to do it to build out the logic properly. And then we'd leave it in there as just another setting option like all the options currently active in there.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I thought you were saying in place of. No without a doubt the jb4 can do it.

The biggest part of the jb4 is you honestly I hope you make it so steering wheel controls can use ff to make it like 2 maps honestly I have been saying it but noone listend until now. I would hundred percent have bought jb4 if I knew you were willing to make it work. So if you made a flow sensor add on you could do ff meth and if you just make a mod to output the 5v signal you could make a rudimentary boost controller or whatever by using a pot or with the logging of the jb4 a sliding octane adjustment etc. So you can fill race gas drive to track upping timing and or boost slowly until it pulls then back off little and it's like your map 5 but better.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I spend all day making stuff work for people, that is where all our great features come from. :)

Let's figure out the best way to setup for what you want to do. Basically you want to move between different E85 mixtures with and without meth? So I presume no port injection?

Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
No e85 at all its using the flex fuel logic to allow completely safe methanol tuning. This way no meth you run your base map and now instead of a e85 map to interpolate from you have a meth map that it blends with so when meth flows you can run more boost and timing and when it doesnt you have your pump map still their. It's a way to tune for meth but not have to limp when meth isnt on

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
That's basically what we already do on the JB4 end only now without the integrated MHD mapping. And remember meth safety is a lot more than moving between maps based on meth flow.

Just off the top of my head you need to monitor fuel trims in both banks and lower boost if they become out of balance. You need to monitor knock across the board and lower boost if the fluid being injected isn't providing the expected knock resistance. You need to cut WMI flow during shifts and DSC when fuel is cut to avoid backfires. There is a lot more you can do.

Our basic integated without the MHD map interpolation would do 90% of what you want to do including the ability to monitor meth flow in dash and enable/disable meth on the fly. If you want the JB4 to run the pump PWM and WMI solenoid you'd connect those to our FSB. If you just want to use your own controller you'd take the 0-5v flow sensor output from that controller and feed it in to the JB4 so it can see meth flow.

From there if you want the last 10% you'd connect a JB4 5v output to allow your double mapping. But timing, AFR, etc, are already going to be scaled on load in any flash and with the BEF setup properly the ECU will always be seeing the true load with the JB4 just setting the boost target. So timing and fueling will always match up to your mapping.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Torgus and fmorelli

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Why do people always say how the hs4 was safer or is that a thing if the past ? I just ordered a torqbyte controller well the mc1 but honestly idc I'll buy a jb4 the only thing that would be nice is not buying the FSB since I bought the fg1 flowgaurd. What sensor does your fsb use and how has it been with 100 percent meth or you dont rec straight meth?

And I guess the idea is if a nozzle messes up on dpmi with the jb4 it would see the bank 2 bank variance and limp faster and be more sensitive than the dme and its timer?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I see what the fsb is now so I would still use my flow sensor and it would have to run through jb4 in your scenario then have jb4 output to dme. How would the jb4 alter the load request ? Cause that would be key to building a map that does what I propose but I dont know what if any effect that would have on the dme doing it's own thing.
I think any single turbo user is on some good shit to not use jb4 but since days if the aa flash battles I've been confused by people that know more cheerleading what they run and my head spins.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Why do people always say how the hs4 was safer or is that a thing if the past ? I just ordered a torqbyte controller well the mc1 but honestly idc I'll buy a jb4 the only thing that would be nice is not buying the FSB since I bought the fg1 flowgaurd. What sensor does your fsb use and how has it been with 100 percent meth or you dont rec straight meth?

And I guess the idea is if a nozzle messes up on dpmi with the jb4 it would see the bank 2 bank variance and limp faster and be more sensitive than the dme and its timer?

The JB4 does everything the torquebyte does already, so no need for both. The easiest/cheapest setup is a JB4 with the FSB attached. The FSB allows the JB4 to control the high current pump/solenoid and also read how much current the pump is pulling which is then integrated in to the software to approximate flow. Torqbyte does the same thing only it doesn't have CANbus data coming in to use in its flow modeling so it's more limited. Some tuners prefer the HS4 or TorqByte becuase they want to go in and manually map out the meth flow in a table format rather than a linear format. The systems are doing the same thing it's just a matter of the inteface. The JB4 interface IMHO is a much easier to use and quicker way to get the job done but that is just a matter of opinion between tuners.

The next step up from those would be a real turbine flow sensor and the JB4 can also read those, they are just expensive and tend to be less reliable. But it's the best way to evaluate flow in conjunction with the CANbus based software safety systems.

I don't know what FG1 is, never heard of it.

• Agree
Reactions: AzNdevil

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
It is twisted tunings flow sensor and from what I understood the new mc1 has can bus abilities but I agree jb4 is the easiest most cost effective way to be safe. I do believe in the Jack of all master of none tho. Also properly setup during a shift if throttle blade shuts your meth would stop instantly with a fav anyway with a pump and reg solenoid still quick depending on placement and when relying on check valve ...ya that's a problem

TiAgAu

Corporal
Nov 18, 2018
Australia
Ride
08 335i
Project sounds promising. Use to run patched maps on my 2006 STI and 2011 WRX (Merpmod) where you could have up to six different maps. But i usually choose 3. You could map switch by Clutch+Brake and up/down on the cruise button and the engine light would flash to let you know what map your on. Could also have the engine light flash as a knock light set to over what ever loads you choose. But yeah thats only a couple of features

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Project sounds promising. Use to run patched maps on my 2006 STI and 2011 WRX (Merpmod) where you could have up to six different maps. But i usually choose 3. You could map switch by Clutch+Brake and up/down on the cruise button and the engine light would flash to let you know what map your on. Could also have the engine light flash as a knock light set to over what ever loads you choose. But yeah thats only a couple of features
Vw bosch engine controls allowed that as well with apr I assume they were more generic ecu modules that had excess rom so could switch maps. With our speed density system their is alot going on in a rtos it is very complicated and resource intensive so what jayoma has done is nothing short of amazing and the fact that their is no hal or sandbox of any sort and mistakes would result in nothing short of catastrophic failure just increases the wow factor in my mind. I just dont want anyone to think what he did parallels with other platforms cause it doesnt. But ya I miss stalk control on my 09 tfsi

Edit dont you mean replace your engine light lmao. If the n54 was as picky as the subies with tuning I bet alot of people would not be in business on this platform. Almost wonder if bmw knew n54 would be a tuning haven.

• Agree
Reactions: TiAgAu

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Let's figure out the best way to setup for what you want to do. Basically you want to move between different E85 mixtures with and without meth? So I presume no port injection?

Can I switch between pump gas and e85 with a JB4 and no flex fuel map, without reflashing?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
No I don't think theirs anyway to safely do it unless you want just run like e25 or something but you can do that with anything.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Anyone have thoughts on running 3 nozzles or 2 but putting one on my fitting on my fmic cold side outlet. I figure the staggered placement is better I don't know with fav if it's worth it to fire them separately so at lesser flow levels only one is on. I am going nuts cause I'm still waiting on response I ordered 2 wks ago

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Can I switch between pump gas and e85 with a JB4 and no flex fuel map, without reflashing?

Yes of course. The extra $99 flex fuel logic on the flash side just allows a further improvement of that by allowing more aggresive timing and fuel scalar changes between various mixtures. It's a nice feature but not required. We've had customers running an auto tuning map on the JB4 going from straight pump up to E50 for a decade.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Yes of course. The extra $99 flex fuel logic on the flash side just allows a further improvement of that by allowing more aggresive timing and fuel scalar changes between various mixtures. It's a nice feature but not required. We've had customers running an auto tuning map on the JB4 going from straight pump up to E50 for a decade.
You honestly can't recommend someone run same backend for 93 and e50. What happens if it's e60 or e60 by accident it's not not ideal and possibly not that safe. Either your riding knock sensors or not taking advantage of e85.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi

I said e85, not e50. So, no, the jb4 doesn't make that possible without the MHD logic (that's not available for my e-series n55) if I'm understanding correctly.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I said e85, not e50. So, no, the jb4 doesn't make that possible without the MHD logic (that's not available for my e-series n55) if I'm understanding correctly.
The nice thing for you Is with jb4 you can run ff sensor and e85 and then If you get less ethanol it will auto tune for you little and it's easier to adjust boost etc so you have some on the fly adjustment but main issue Is fuel which I wonder if you were to use port injection if the jb4 could now be flex fuel using the port injection to adjust fueling.