Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

barry@3DM

Corporal
Jun 4, 2018
Also I put together this kind of stuff with Wurth CU800. That tube will last you over a decade - the tube is nice because it is much easier to apply sparingly to bolt threads and nut holes vs the brush and tub. That said @barry@3DM made a pretty compelling argument for a general preference to use Loctite 242 over anti-seize. I won't make the points as well as he, so I'll let him chime in if he feels inclined.

BTW I can't believe you cut off the starter, Jim ... mad man! lol

Filippo

I avoid anti seize for preventing seized fasteners. On a racecar I want the bolt to be seized, lol, but of course not in the corroded way. I use loctite on everything. It is not just for thread locking, when applied in its liquid state it helps with proper torque specs (think oiled head bolts). It also is great to use as anti seize. It "seals" the threads preventing moisture and oxygen from creating corrosion. Here is a good video as a demo:

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Great demo video. I have that exact bottle but rarely use it. I'll be using it more often now.
Keep in mind these don't have a long shelf life. I think they are 1 year from the time of shipment or being open, something like that. That being said, if you got the big bottle as shown, use the heck out of it when needed if you are doing hobby stuff. Wish these had a longer shelf life since you get a lot more bang for the buck for the big bottles.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Keep in mind these don't have a long shelf life. I think they are 1 year from the time of shipment or being open, something like that.
You are correct, insofar as what Loctite says, but reality is highly debatable. There are plenty of machinists and other people people dealing with critical fasteners that have found loctite to work for years on end. Some postulate that the time frame is a liability cover statement. Loctite employees have been known to give longer periods of time. As an example, here's a forum post I read some time back,

"My last job I worked for Henkel, they own Loctite, I worked with the Loctite sales and technical group regularly. One year is the shelf life, they test to 2 years with no more than 90% loss in bonding strength. The rate of degradation accelerates with time. I replace my Loctite every 2 years."

I have Loctite 242 in my guitar shop and have been using the same bottle for ten years. Flows the same, hardens the same. I've not done any testing to prove its holding power. I have some fresh Loctite 242 as well: I'll torque up two bolts with old and new, and measure breaking torque, and report back.

For the cars I'd go 243, that deals with thread contamination better ...

Filippo

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
You are correct, insofar as what Loctite says, but reality is highly debatable. There are plenty of machinists and other people people dealing with critical fasteners that have found loctite to work for years on end. Some postulate that the time frame is a liability cover statement. Loctite employees have been known to give longer periods of time. As an example, here's a forum post I read some time back,

"My last job I worked for Henkel, they own Loctite, I worked with the Loctite sales and technical group regularly. One year is the shelf life, they test to 2 years with no more than 90% loss in bonding strength. The rate of degradation accelerates with time. I replace my Loctite every 2 years."

I have Loctite 242 in my guitar shop and have been using the same bottle for ten years. Flows the same, hardens the same. I've not done any testing to prove its holding power. I have some fresh Loctite 242 as well: I'll torque up two bolts with old and new, and measure breaking torque, and report back.

For the cars I'd go 243, that deals with thread contamination better ...

Filippo
I agree that it will probably last much longer than specified as I have used the same bottle for years without issues. I just don't believe in promoting something outside the manufacturer recommendation as I don't have experience or knowledge to back up a statement that is adverse to loctites recommendations. I was just putting it out there since I was unaware of the shelf life as I was use to using the little bottles sitting in the tool box that were probably 10 years old. Got curious one day when I bought the big bottle and was shocked to see the short shelf life and figured I would post it since most people probably aren't aware of it.