Taking out the battery to charge it?

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Unfortunately I don't have access to a garage and don't want to inconvenience friends. I was wondering if there was anything to know about removing and charging the battery outside of the car for long extended periods of time? The only information I came across was about how there might be a difference in resistance between charging from the trunk versus charging from the engine bay jump points. I'll be borrowing a Deltran Battery Tender Plus from my brother (which is apparently the one BMW sells rebranded lol) which is a "smart charger" that should trickle charge it. Also looking at buying a CTEK charger. I have Carly and NCS expert for when I need to recode the battery values so that's covered

(A link to the post about a resistance difference between the trunk and engine bay jumper connection points)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522579

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
You can charge it where ever you want.. If it's from the back it's best to remove the battery but charge it under the hood.. I do it with every single car I pull in the shop. I throw it on the charger and toss my icom in it and start my short test. I might leave a car on the charger forever and that's a real charger. A deutronic..

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
One thing that happened to me with a smart charger I bought, is the battery was completely dead and the charger would only detect it as a 6v battery and wouldn't charge properly. That is more a problem with my charger though I think.

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
You can charge it where ever you want.. If it's from the back it's best to remove the battery but charge it under the hood.. I do it with every single car I pull in the shop. I throw it on the charger and toss my icom in it and start my short test. I might leave a car on the charger forever and that's a real charger. A deutronic..
That's not viable as I mentioned before that I do not have access to a garage or electrical outlet that will reach my car within 100ft. (from my balcony to my car is like 120ft SOB.). Also the risk of my car getting towed LOL. Funny thing is my 1st floor neighbor moved out and I was contemplating jacking that electrical outlet for half a day lmfao, but again towing. S'all good, I just removed the battery and am charging now.

One thing that happened to me with a smart charger I bought, is the battery was completely dead and the charger would only detect it as a 6v battery and wouldn't charge properly. That is more a problem with my charger though I think.
Which one did you buy for reference sake? If you haven't already, look into the CTEK ones or something similar. Pretty nice for about $100 (smart charger, extension cable, and EZ adapter that you leave on the battery and can just plug into another adapter on the charger all sold separately)

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Yeah charge it where ever. Does not make a difference. Easier to leave it installed and charge it, but either way itll charge lol. And some battery chargers can recondition dying batteries. But if your car is that far away either get it jumped and let it idle/go for a drive to charge the battery up, or just charge her.