Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
check for oil contamination in intake runner on head. report back , you could probably use a walnut blasting . might just fix your issue

EDIT: also plugging the head ports would be a great idea. if valve cover is internally cracked it could be causing reversion issues

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
check for oil contamination in intake runner on head. report back , you could probably use a walnut blasting . might just fix your issue
If my tuner believes its not hardware or tuning related, I will do that. But last time I pulled the intake, my valves were still clean. I walnut blasted a couple years ago and then added PI so valves stay pretty clean.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
In my log it shows that AFR had a small spike on bank 1 when this happened. Car went into open loop at that time. Trims show this for BOTH banks. Afr 2 maintained target. Afr 1 hit 14.5:1 and 14:1. This is why im waiting on tuners response. I dont know if the open loop is cause (tuning issue), or consequence of the event.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
cool i agree pi would keep it clean. but if its not tuning related i would check coils, plugs(again) , injectors, valve cover, and plug headports
Exactly. Also from my last post, you may think its an 02 issue. No codes for 02s. 02s are not that old. Replaced couple years ago. Also last year , my logs showed the same thing (when I first experienced superknock) and it turned out the index 12 fixed the issue.

jts1981

Private
Jan 29, 2018
NYC
Ride
Z4
U know what cylinder by chance ?

I've had a shadow code 30EE super knock cylinder 2 back in October but we thought it was was related to some fuel cleanser I was using...Since moving off that and back into regular fuel its been fine until a late December. No I am seeing shadow code 30F1 super knock cylinder 5 only.

Unrelated I also had active code 2A7A camshaft position controller, exhaust cold start. This one has been a real bitch since we replaced both vanos numerous times and changed the cam gears. Cam ledges were fine. Car ran fine for months but its just popped up in December along with 3100.

I also have a shadow code 2FDA crankshaft sensor, signal missing. We replaced the sensor in November but its back again.

I have a slow crank on cold start. Could this be the culprit for the 2FDA/ 2A7A?

One thought was super knock was trigger when I drove through a really long, rough patch of shoddy road work while at speed.It was cracked a rear wheel kind of rough road. Could the heavy vibration trigger super knock?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
I've had a shadow code 30EE super knock cylinder 2 back in October but we thought it was was related to some fuel cleanser I was using...Since moving off that and back into regular fuel its been fine until a late December. No I am seeing shadow code 30F1 super knock cylinder 5 only.

Unrelated I also had active code 2A7A camshaft position controller, exhaust cold start. This one has been a real bitch since we replaced both vanos numerous times and changed the cam gears. Cam ledges were fine. Car ran fine for months but its just popped up in December along with 3100.

I also have a shadow code 2FDA crankshaft sensor, signal missing. We replaced the sensor in November but its back again.

I have a slow crank on cold start. Could this be the culprit for the 2FDA/ 2A7A?

One thought was super knock was trigger when I drove through a really long, rough patch of shoddy road work while at speed.It was cracked a rear wheel kind of rough road. Could the heavy vibration trigger super knock?
Have you changed anything on the tuning side ? Whwn most get these codes, lowering boost hides it. Less stress on motor and code goes away. As far as crank sensor, its a funny thing, just recently that code turned into crank sensor for some people. Few months back it was a hpfp code. So now its same code, different description. I contacted MHD about it and they said its tune related. Yet others are experiencing the same thing, on the same tune they have been running for years.
Not sure on a wheel issue triggering superknock, I highly doubt it though.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Check this out.
Screenshot_20191111-095613.jpg

2FDB changed from one month to another

jts1981

Private
Jan 29, 2018
NYC
Ride
Z4
Have you changed anything on the tuning side ? Whwn most get these codes, lowering boost hides it. Less stress on motor and code goes away. As far as crank sensor, its a funny thing, just recently that code turned into crank sensor for some people. Few months back it was a hpfp code. So now its same code, different description. I contacted MHD about it and they said its tune related. Yet others are experiencing the same thing, on the same tune they have been running for years.
Not sure on a wheel issue triggering superknock, I highly doubt it though.

No change on the tuning side.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Ok, to answer a couple of pms, swapped the injector. Have yet to drive the car since tuner hasnt got back to me. I may flash my old tune so I can drive my car again and will report back. Only problem with that is, if all is well, we wont know if its the tune or injector that fixed the issue.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Do cars generally recover from super knock events?
I got the impression that it was terminal. That the car would never be the same.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Do cars generally recover from super knock events?
I got the impression that it was terminal. That the car would never be the same.
Yes, they recover, but not all. Its strange as mini coopers suffer from this. Only thing is most other cars that get this code, it happens during low speed, high load.
When many tuned N54s get this, its top end WOT. So root cause may or may not be the same. I have read and watched videos that say engineers and scientists still dont know 100% what causes this phenomenom.

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93

Oil is a very strong "assumption" that is floating around. Nobody is 100% sure though.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
The problem with the links I posted, superknock codes have been linked to lspi. My car and MOST other N54 members, occurs at high rpm. Either top of rpm range or right after shift. Either way, rpms are up there. I am now looking into api sn plus oils. Once again, for cars that suffer superknock during lspi, but I feel it obviously cant hurt any. I swapped my injector but have only done a few pulls. So far, so good. Problem is, even last year when I experienced superknock, it did it maybe 3 times or so in a month. It was never back to back. I would change, say, the plugs. Run it. All would be ok then out of the blue, I would get superknock. Swap coil, same scenario, after index 12, it didnt come back until the following December. I am thinking weather plays a part as well. What a coincidence that it happens in Dec. / early Jan. and higher boost. Lower boost and many people stop experiencing this issue in the N54. Curious as to others experiences.
1 guy said for sure his tune was causing it as he didnt swap any parts but only the tune and it never came back.
Very curious as to what was different in the tune.

Shahid

Mar 10, 2019
Ride
2011 BMW Z4 35is
Any update on this I started getting superknock codes as well. FBO with RB turbos..upgraded LPFP, Index 12 injectors. Could this be due to a HPFP that is bad or is going bad?

Reactions: fmorelli