subframe dropped, motor mounts, what else...?

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
im about to drop the subframe because i guess i need motor mounts as my power steering pulley is broken. i figure will i have it dropped i might as well tackle some other things that would be good to do while there. im going to def. change my leaking oil pan gasket, but other that the oil pan and motor mounts, should i look at anything else while im there?

also, what motor mounts have most used to replace their worn stockers? i saw a few recommendations for ADE which are like $350, or ECS has a setup with factory mounts and poly trans mounts for around 220.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I dropped my subframe a few months ago and did the oil pan gasket (including the sensor seal), the water pump, the thermostat, and a few coolant hoses that were cheap but insanely difficult to get to with the subframe on. I also did a ton of other stuff at the same time but as far as the subframe is concerned that's what I'd suggest being worth digging into while you are in there.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
And get that aluminum pulley if you didn't already, I think its for the power steering.

ldyzluvdis06

Private
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
Ordered the aluminum pulley, but one other guy recommended against it because if it hit again, the then pulley wouldn't break which could possibly lead to something else breaking. But if u change the mounts, I don't think I'll have that issue.

Looks as if I'll take your guys word and pick up the 034 mounts then just throw the oil pan gasket on as planned.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ordered the aluminum pulley, but one other guy recommended against it because if it hit again, the then pulley wouldn't break which could possibly lead to something else breaking. But if u change the mounts, I don't think I'll have that issue.

Looks as if I'll take your guys word and pick up the 034 mounts then just throw the oil pan gasket on as planned.

Well that is something to consider I suppose. A shredded belt eaten into the crank seal isn't exactly a good alternative either.

blastermaster

Nov 17, 2016
USA
has anyone notched the front subframe to provide the p/s pump pulley with more clearance?

if so, please attached pics. thank you

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Double check that the power steering pump bolts didn't loosen up they are notorious for backing out.. Also you can notch the subframe where they hit the pump

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
has anyone notched the front subframe to provide the p/s pump pulley with more clearance?

if so, please attached pics. thank you
+1

I have a urethane passenger an 034 driver mount and am hoping that prevents this from happening to me, but I'd be curious to see a photo as well.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I'll look for the sib when I have time I'm almost positive that's what they had us do when they were under warranty

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I have an 07 335i and my power steering pulley hit my frame so i looked into the problem to see if i qualified to have new subframe installed but i didnt. I believe the sib ended in 2010 or something so i just got an aluminum pulley and called it a day.