Ad: Spool Helix HPFP overdrive Kit

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its not a prediction its a plausible scenario if not at the track it could be at lower speeds on the road and you hit a pedestrian, motorcyclist or whoever
resulting death I'll bet where your lawyer will be pointing his finger at.

So make fun if you must as there is no excuse for ignorance, just seems common sense does not exist in most forums.

Fix the issue and problem fixed, band aids don't last long or cause other problems

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Its not a prediction its a plausible scenario if not at the track it could be at lower speeds on the road and you hit a pedestrian, motorcyclist or whoever
resulting death I'll bet where your lawyer will be pointing his finger at.

So make fun if you must as there is no excuse for ignorance, just seems common sense does not exist in most forums.
Ignorance and lacking common sense?

Filippo

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You’re out of your fucking mind Marty. Are you really that worried about shotgun kit sales that you’re going to raise the tin foil hat flag to full mast?

First, you have no idea why the cast housing broke.

Second, the pump is not damped from the engine in stock form. So, you’re not going to damp it in 3x or 4x form. So, a bracket should be just fine.

Third, if vibes are what killed it, they would be mitigated more from a bracket towards the rear, eliminating the moment causing movement from the weight and fuel pulses, over just strengthening the casting and leaving a big moment on it.

Lastly, is this not a vendor thread, and are you not a free vendor? Shouldn’t there be some sort of “don’t shit on other vendor product threads” rule you should be following?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
How am I shitting on a vendor thread ?

By suggesting how to fix the problem.

The pump is not attached on the block but the timing case and well away from the sensors in stock form.

I must be out of my mind trying to help yes.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
This vendor thread would be a lot better if @SpoolPerformance would respond here, i.e. lack of tables, details on reliability testing, a firsthand take on the casing failure, etc. Just got my tracking # so I'd guess we'll be seeing a lot more questions in the next week...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've spoken with @SpoolPerformance and a lot of what you guys are talking about has already been considered or made. Remember, there is a little lag time on news. From what I gather they are getting facts straight and are taking this seriously.

Reactions: SSDD and RNM

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Building a new case from billet wouldn't be hard for a skilled shop because your not starting from scratch as the casing is already made and only needs a 3d scan
and machined out of billet.

You want to put your heads in the sand like ostriches and hope for the best so be it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    455.3 KB · Views: 122

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
They need to update the xdf files. There's people I'm tuning waiting on these. The only people I know with them are Ken, maybe David. Since Ken and BQ used to work together i wouldn't be surprised if Dimitri has them too. It's not rocket science, just politics on why they aren't public yet.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I'd think they would get a lot more sales if the xdf's where public or at least people like v8bait and other tuners.

He has been the driving force behind a number of big projects that has advanced the n54 platform.

Keeping the xdf files from people like him that can only help the community is just plain silly and not the words I would really like to use.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
This vendor thread would be a lot better if @SpoolPerformance would respond here, i.e. lack of tables, details on reliability testing, a firsthand take on the casing failure, etc. Just got my tracking # so I'd guess we'll be seeing a lot more questions in the next week...
Most of that has been answered in one form or another already, people are just impatient. This is the first and only failure of something relating to the HPFP that a Helix user has reported, and its not even a failure of the helix or the fuel pump. I still think it's likely unrelated to the actual Helix too, it doesn't make sense how it'd break on the right side tabs only and on bolts that you dont touch during install. I'm all for a billet cover or a bracket if they make it, but I still think its unnecessary overall - just a precautionary feature. The lack of tables being public is due to the fact that the product is still technically pre-release, but I believe if you have the product on hand and use a known, reliable tuner they'll share the tables.

As for the reliability testing, even that's been documented. Spool had one of the Helix drives hooked up to a HPFP running at full duty cycle day and night for weeks before opening the beta testing more, and since beta testing theres several of us with thousands of miles on it already - at least one person with over 30k as of a few months ago.
I've spoken with @SpoolPerformance and a lot of what you guys are talking about has already been considered or made. Remember, there is a little lag time on news. From what I gather they are getting facts straight and are taking this seriously.
As usual and should be expected. It's sad when people need to spread unnecessary skepticism.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its pleasant to see they are taking it seriously, bench testing at fully duty is all good but there are other factors that might have contributed to the failure like
constant driving on bad roads and potholes where violent shock is introduced into the equation for example.

Maybe have a support bracket coming off one of the manifold studs would be better than of the block to stop possible interference with the knock sensors.
but that is hypothetical and needs to be further investigated.

I personally have tied back all cables and lines away from the block so i dont have any possible interference with my setup to eliminate the possible odd chance this happening.

Would it be possible to select how much over dive you would like at checkout, like made to order for different power levels ?

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'd think they would get a lot more sales if the xdf's where public or at least people like v8bait and other tuners.

He has been the driving force behind a number of big projects that has advanced the n54 platform.

Keeping the xdf files from people like him that can only help the community is just plain silly and not the words I would really like to use.

Are you under the impression that spool performance is selecting tuners to give access?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Definitely not, I'm suggesting that skilled tuners just like v8bait that had a hand in a number of projects would definitely help accelerate the development.

Last edited:

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Maybe have a support bracket coming off one of the manifold studs would be better than of the block to stop possible interference with the knock sensors.
but that is hypothetical and needs to be further investigated.
Has anyone reported or shown evidence of false knock? Maybe I missed it??

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I have seen in the past hoses and fuel line bracket left loose rattling on the block would cause small timing corrections, eliminating these gave me clean logs.

Like I said that needs to be investigated and only a suggestion

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Like I said that needs to be investigated and only a suggestion
So, does it need to be investigated or do you suggest investigating it, because your statement implies that it has to be for you to be happy.

Btw, a loose a rattling hose banging against things is far different from a weighted object being moved further out a moment arm and then being rigidly mounted to the block in the same area.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I cant investigate it as i dont have one, but these pumps are noisy and do cause little vibrations and having it resinate through the block
could possibly interfere with the knock sensors hypothetically but I have seen this happen to me so I'm suggesting to investigate it and keeping it in
mind whilst designing a support bracket.

By supporting the pump and overdrive of something like a manifold stud would help eliminate that as its much further away from the block and knock sensors.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I was at an automotive technical conference 20 years ago. One of the lectures I went to was a one hour presentation on knock sensor. Mind you this is twenty years ago. They were looking at 2nd order harmonics because the noise was far less in the signatures were far easier to pick up. Note,. signatures for anyone who has an mathematical understanding of that term. Not noise.

Do you think that anything is improved in the last 20 years? Yeah that ignorant thing as a real problem.

I will buy one of these units, before the vacuum pump problem get solved because frankly it is elementary school easy to solve. But until the xdf files are released, this is a captured product, so I have to wait.

Filippo

Last edited:

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
not sure if this has been tried or talked about but how about a Hard rubber/plastic type gasket type in between the hpfp and the Helix to help with vibration.

Reactions: Jeffman