Ad: Spool Helix HPFP overdrive Kit

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I'd be surprised if that became a more than one-off failure. The Helix is really not that heavy and as mentioned before, those bolts aren't touched during install.

@Slow335is how long had you been running the Helix for? Iirc you got one of the pre-order batch 3x ODs, so it couldn't have been very long and that would put me at several more weeks of use with a faster spinning unit and still no issues. To your knowledge was that plate ever removed and reinstalled? To me it looks like it would almost have to be caused by either way over-torqueing those two bolts or someone pulling on the HPFP away from the engine block during a replacement (could've happened at BMW during a recall or warranty replacement, or previous owner). If it was due to the Helix's weight, the top two would've cracked as mentioned before.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I'd say it is not so much the weight of the helix unit but the extra length and therefore the torque put on vacuum pump.

That said, way to early for being over concerned but having a backup plan for an extra support bracket seems reasonable.

Since it was not the top 2 mounting ears I am also thinking we may not see much of this.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Make the vacuum pump case part of the overdrive kit and slow down the overdrive to reduce harmonic vibration should stop this kind of failure.

I looked into this type of design over 2 years ago and talked about it on bimm er boos t.

Its a cool idea and will work well but needs more r&d and more testing before releasing it to customers.

Imagine it caused a accident, up shit creek without a paddle is an understatement

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Make the vacuum pump case part of the overdrive kit and slow down the overdrive to reduce harmonic vibration should stop this kind of failure.

I looked into this type of design over 2 years ago and talked about it on bimm er boos t.

Its a cool idea and will work well but needs more r&d and more testing before releasing it to customers.

Imagine it caused a accident, up shit creek without a paddle is an understatement
That’s a whole lot of speculation with only a picture for detail. Answer this for me...how much R&D have they done Marty?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
You would go this complexity and added product cost, as opposed to a bracket which might cost a few dollars?

I'm actually less concerned about the vacuum casting failure - trivial to solve. Until the tables are released I really don't understand how this is a product. Can someone clarify or contradict this position? I was about to order over the weekend, then realized that the table are still not released.

Filippo

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You would go this complexity and added product cost, as opposed to a bracket which might cost a few dollars?

I'm actually less concerned about the vacuum casting failure - trivial to solve. Until the tables are released I really don't understand how this is a product. Can someone clarify or contradict this position? I was about to order over the weekend, then realized that the table are still not released.

Filippo
There are tuners that have access to the tables, but full public release has not happened yet.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Wedge seems to have done most if not all of the beta tunes. Someone mentioned BQ as well. Still haven't heard from Twisted about whether he has them.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That’s a whole lot of speculation with only a picture for detail. Answer this for me...how much R&D have they done Marty?

Definitely not enough, blaming it on the casing as a bad casting LOL.

If and thats a big IF one has failed because of a bad casting there will be others out there as they get done in batches of thousands from the same cast.

Not saying don't make it or the product is shit, quite contrary as there is a definite market for this.

Making the billet housing part of the body of the helix as one piece will add a little to the price but not as much as you believe.

I wont fit it to any of my cars due to liability reasons in its current incarnation the kit is in, if there is one failure they will be others
just a matter of time.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Definitely not enough, blaming it on the casing as a bad casting LOL.

If and thats a big IF one has failed because of a bad casting there will be others out there as they get done in batches of thousands from the same cast.

Not saying don't make it or the product is shit, quite contrary as there is a definite market for this.

Making the billet housing part of the body of the helix as one piece will add a little to the price but not as much as you believe.

I wont fit it to any of my cars due to liability reasons in its current incarnation the kit is in, if there is one failure they will be others
just a matter of time.
That’s one of the poorest excuses and rationales I’ve ever heard. It absolutely reeks of VTT leg humping bias...which is funny seeing as they have a rather large history of failures with their products.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Which part didnt you understand that i support the product or is that to hard to understand.
The fact that you came to the conclusion that the product is a liability based on a pic and the failure of one hpfp in this thread is odd. The fact that you run GC turbos on top of it is quite ironic when you take this position. I appreciate your input and have learned a few things from your posts but come on man.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Design, production, testing amortized over sales plus individual cost for production - how little are you thinking that might be? What would you guess the added time to market would be for this? Would you suspend all sales during this time? Would you send new housings to all existing customers?

Why not a bracket as a preventative measure? Seems to me a bracket costs far fewer dollars, comes to market in weeks not months, can easily be shipped out to all existing customers without going out of business, easily installed by those customers, and doesn't impede flow of sales. Am I missing something?

Filippo

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Design, production, testing amortized over sales plus individual cost for production - how little are you thinking that might be? What would you guess the added time to market would be for this? Would you suspend all sales during this time? Would you send new housings to all existing customers?

Why not a bracket as a preventative measure? Seems to me a bracket costs far fewer dollars, comes to market in weeks not months, can easily be shipped out to all existing customers without going out of business, easily installed by those customers, and doesn't impede flow of sales. Am I missing something?

Filippo
Don't go using common sense now, that shit gets me in trouble all the time

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You guys aren't thinking outside the box and only see the problem in front of you.

First of all something is causing enough vibration for the casing to crack.

You brace that to the block and the vibrations will transfer to the block right near the knock sensors.

Still that's only a band aid solution

From a liability stand point its 110% a problem.

Your coming into a corner at the track doing 130mph lets say, vacuum pump breaks off and you lost vacuum to your brakes, also car lost fuel pressure and gone into limp mode.

No power, no brakes car most likely running rough.

This is a worst case scenario but one that can't be overlooked.

Fuel pressure loss is not a big deal but loosing vacuum to the brakes, under no circumstance this acceptable because you are worried about saving a few dollars.

Its a valid concern and should be looked at.

Building a new case from billet wouldn't be hard for a skilled shop because your not starting from scratch as the casing is already made and only needs a 3d scan
and machined out of billet.

You want to put your heads in the sand like ostriches and hope for the best so be it.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wow that's mighty dire set of predictions, which are strangely speculative with a support bracket in play. I suppose a rubber isolation bushing won't provide some insurance on that possible knock sensor theory. Last sentence ... epically funny. Emus, please carry on.

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: PFS