(Solved) New year starts with a bang.....

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Well, this new year I had plans to save up to take the fam on a trip and maybe get my Trans Am a new motor. But no... the high maintenence prima donna had other plans for me.

Today my wife took the e60 out for her normal loop and she brought it home with the Turbos smoking aaaand the lpfp starting going out. Seriously. Wtf? My wife goes....I wasn't even driving her hard like I usually do. Ugh.

I think I'm going to do the TurboLab turbos. Not too pricey and the guy lives 3 hours from me.

Or might try the 600 dollar OE ones from fcpeuro. Lifetime warranty. I really am good with not making over 500 hp.

Now all the fun of dropping the sub frame. I'll be doing oil pan gasket, water pump and whatever other stuff while I'm in there.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
If its not one thing its another, that's n54.

If you don't care about power the fcp is the way when it comes to warranty.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
If its not one thing its another, that's n54.

If you don't care about power the fcp is the way when it comes to warranty.
I'm fine with the high maintenence N54. It keeps me with things to do and I do enjoy fixing stuff. I do wish it would contain itself to one issue at a time though. Lol.

My wife gets annoyed more because she loves driving it and when it needs something it takes me a while to attend to it. I like to make sure I'm addressing it all the right way. She's like.... just fix it and quit fiddling with everything else!

Yeah, I think the OE turbos will be the best option. My wife is content with the power that's being put out. I'll probably get a custom tune and see how they hold at 20 to 22 psi.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I agree with marty the stockers don't like being spun that fast for that long. You may be better off getting some upgraded twins and running like 16 psi I think they'd last you longer than running stockers at 20+. Unless you really like dropping the subframe lol I personally did not find the 535xi as enjoyable to work on as a 3 or 1 series . Cant remember if you have a xi or I I know the i's aren't as bad

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I agree with marty the stockers don't like being spun that fast for that long. You may be better off getting some upgraded twins and running like 16 psi I think they'd last you longer than running stockers at 20+. Unless you really like dropping the subframe lol I personally did not find the 535xi as enjoyable to work on as a 3 or 1 series . Cant remember if you have a xi or I I know the i's aren't as bad
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah. I'm aware of the limitations. I have just the 535i. No all wheel drive. But I've got that dynamic steering stuff that's annoying to get out of the way. I may do away with all that. Dunno. Anyway, it's not too bad to work on.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
So..... went to move the car and it's not smoking now. Drove it 10 miles, did logs and it's fine. Hmmmm..... dunno.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
See if it smokes when you let it idle... Mine does... Not really sure why. I should probably fix it. Valve cover/pcv, or turbos I would guess.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
See if it smokes when you let it idle... Mine does... Not really sure why. I should probably fix it. Valve cover/pcv, or turbos I would guess.
No. It didn't. You know. Might of been the PCV. I have an oil catch can in between the line. I cleaned it and fiddled with it yesterday after she got back. I didn't notice anything loose or disconnected. It had smoked when i started it back up yesterday after that. Perhaps it was residual. I'll just keep an eye on it.

I still want new Turbos either way. :)

• Agree
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Yeah. Something was loose in the pcv system. The rough idle was probably part of it too and not the lpfp.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The smallest frb-s and keep the wgdc around 50% and you will have turbos for a long time with oem reliability
and better more reliable power with a custom tune.

Reactions: TheFixer