Servotronic on a 335i

paul_

Sep 11, 2018
Ride
bmw
Just a shot in the dark, but run a full car diagnostic with ISTA-D and see what the results are. Any strange codes?

These are the 2 strange codes. The other strange thing is that there is no any fault on the Servotronic. My latest thoughts are that not every GBBF 3 has Servotronic function.

Attachments

• 41695189_450768168663577_7563966045715693568_n.jpg
    41695189_450768168663577_7563966045715693568_n.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 244

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Small update, but apparently my power steering pump is 135 bar. Makes me wonder if they are just ripping people off because it's an M part and the difference lies in the module coding perhaps.
20190112_022925.jpg

miller335i

Private
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i e90 2007
EDIT:
On the wds diagram on the first page, pin 5 is the Black/Brown wire and pin 6 is the Black/White wire. Had to figure out what SW/BR and SW/WS meant.

Edit 2: Feeling stupid because this information was quoted in my first post. I think I have information overload :(

Here is an updated photo:
View attachment 3369
In the pic here (mid right in the photo) the wires(like I have) coming from the rack are brown and red/purple, and in the photo on the right are black/white and brown/black. Where did they change and what matches what? Sorry I feel so out of sorts doing this I have been trying to figure this out on my own.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Someone mentioned on E90 post that there is a restrictor built into the high pressure side of the power steering lines on older BMWS to make the steering feel heavier. Pretty sure the same restrictor is present in the N5x steering line. I might play around with removing it to see how light the steering becomes. Might be considerably easier than trying to get servo to work... Or, someone produce a slight overdrive pulley for the pump... No one seems to be able to get servo retrofitted correctly.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Someone mentioned on E90 post that there is a restrictor built into the high pressure side of the power steering lines on older BMWS to make the steering feel heavier. Pretty sure the same restrictor is present in the N5x steering line. I might play around with removing it to see how light the steering becomes. Might be considerably easier than trying to get servo to work... Or, someone produce a slight overdrive pulley for the pump... No one seems to be able to get servo retrofitted correctly.

as long as you have a jbffe3 you can hook it up and code it then it will work 80%, if you want 100% you will need to upgrade your steering pump to a 1m/m3 steering pump

if you dont have a jbbfe3, you can retrofit it and it should just work the same

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Does anyone have a photo of the connection to the JBFFe and the connectors?

the pinout is somewhere in this thread...iirc it goes directly from the motor on the steering rack to the jbbfe
unfortunately i only have a jbbf2 and dont feel like retrofitting one for steering assist so i cant help on this

miller335i

Private
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i e90 2007
I finally finished the wiring for the Servotronic. Now to just get the coding done.

I started by tracing a wire the entire path I wanted to run the wire and then extended the harness so it would reach:
View attachment 9447 View attachment 9448

Then picking up where I left off from the ecubox, I ran the wire under a piece of rubber trim across the engine bay on the firewall over to the DSC area:
View attachment 9452 View attachment 9451 View attachment 9453

Then go down and over until you can push it behind the cardboard/cloth cover:
View attachment 9454 View attachment 9455 View attachment 9456

Then hitch onto the wiring loom that is here and follow it out the hole and across to the fender liner:
View attachment 9457 View attachment 9458

And then you will be able to run the wire down to the other plug:
View attachment 9459

Now you're done, but I actually recommend that you run the wire through the firewall on the driver side instead, and then run the cable under the dash, but this is one way to do it.
Where does it enter the DS firewall, do you have a pic of that please?!

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
the pinout is somewhere in this thread...iirc it goes directly from the motor on the steering rack to the jbbfe
unfortunately i only have a jbbf2 and dont feel like retrofitting one for steering assist so i cant help on this

I'll have to read back through the thread. Lots of info here so I am not even sure what applies to me lol. 2011 135i so I am guessing I have JBBF3. You make it sound like I can just wires up the servo and it should operate fine (not full assist but better than nothing?) No coding?

Alternatively, I am going to look into removing shims from the power steering pump pressure regulator. The in-line restricter that I had previously mentioned IS present in the high pressure line but removing it would actually make the steering heavier (from what I understand anyway). But, the E46 M3 guys used to ADD shims to the power steering pump to make the steering heavier so I believe removing one or two of the factory shims might give me the 20% boost in assist I am looking for. Might be easier than the multiple 10 page long threads that getting the servo to work has created lol.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'll have to read back through the thread. Lots of info here so I am not even sure what applies to me lol. 2011 135i so I am guessing I have JBBF3. You make it sound like I can just wires up the servo and it should operate fine (not full assist but better than nothing?) No coding?

Alternatively, I am going to look into removing shims from the power steering pump pressure regulator. The in-line restricter that I had previously mentioned IS present in the high pressure line but removing it would actually make the steering heavier (from what I understand anyway). But, the E46 M3 guys used to ADD shims to the power steering pump to make the steering heavier so I believe removing one or two of the factory shims might give me the 20% boost in assist I am looking for. Might be easier than the multiple 10 page long threads that getting the servo to work has created lol.

Pretty sure there is coding involved, and from what I recall there were just not as many options available in terms of refinement.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
View attachment 3322
the repair wires dont fit into the x14270 plug without snipping off the part that holds the wire and rubber in place
View attachment 3316

Finally going to try to tackle getting servotronic hooked up.

Any chance you can describe how to remove the x14270 plug from the back of the junction box? I cant get at it at all. Am I going to have to pull the whole thing down?

Attachments

• 20200101_165145.jpg
    20200101_165145.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 94

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Is that the thing on the side or up under the glovebox?

Either way, the wires are tight and to avoid accidentally depinning anything I pulled out everything. It was a pita but you can see properly.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeap... It's another one of those positions where you get uncomfortable but there is only one way to get at it.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Yeap... It's another one of those positions where you get uncomfortable but there is only one way to get at it.

Got it out. Probably could've skipped all the disassembly now that I know how the harness disconnects. Pops right off when you slide its clip off similar to like how the injector harness works on the n55 dme.

Can you verify which repair kit you ordered? I had two pins laying around from an ambient temp sensor harness repair kit but they turned out to be just a hair too small. They dont slip into the harness right. Going to have to order up some new ones that are the right size.