Serpentine Belt/Power Steering pulley

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Had some squeaking from what I thought was a belt issue so replaced the tensioner and pulleys. Was finishing routing the belt through the pulleys when I noticed that the belt wasn't seating on the ridges of the PS pulley. Almost certain it's the problem with the OEM engine mounts having too much play when power shifting and was hitting the subframe (my car was produced in the last month these cars were apparently effected 04/2008). It got significantly worse because of big potholes and construction in my area. I read that some people's engine mount bolts worked themselves free from oil leakage, bad design, wear and tear, etc and was wondering if anyone knew if/what bolts to try to tighten up before dropping loot on the 335is passenger engine mount? Preferably would like not to have to lift the engine just to see if tightening the OEM motor mounts does anything

Attachments

• 20180630_160311.jpg
    20180630_160311.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 165

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I doubt that's your problem. I'd suck it up, replace/upgrade the mounts, and replace the PS pulley.

But, since it's free to check. There's a total of 6 engine mount bolts, might as well check all 6 since they're all easy to get to.

Bottom: 4 external torx head bolts, 2 on each side. These screw up into the mounts from cutouts in the subframe, and the bolts have an abnormally long head on them.

Top: One nut on each side on the top of the mount. I doubt these are loose, but they're worth checking. They're either a 16, 17, or 18mm, I can't remember.

It may also be worth checking the bracket bolts into the block. These are large external torx head bolts, and they're supposed to be really fucking tight. Should be 4 on each side.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Not seating on ps pulley? My belt had to get pushed around the crank pulley but the power steering pulley... Could it just be off from your install it does it keep coming off?