s55 coils in an n54?

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
I'm starting to see mentions on fb groups and for sale threads of S55 coil packs being used plug-n-play in n54's. I can't seem to find anything supporting these for sale ads. Thoughts/links?

Reactions: fmorelli

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Where does the whole "Bosch coils are junk" thing even come from? My car is currently on them (as well as was originally) and runs just as good if not better than when I had the Eldor coils in. That's not to even mention the fact that I don't seem to have even half as many problems as many people do, especially the parrot-y FB group types who think one specific part is the be-all-end-all.

None of the 3 OEM options will compare to the PR or BL set obviously, but I've yet to ever see any definitive proof that one outperforms the other, let even runs differently. I think people just think that Eldor or Delphi are better because ANY new coils outperform old beat up ones anyway. If anything, I think the fact that BMW started cutting corners and trying to save money after going all-out on the N54 (especially early models) would point in the direction that newer coils might even be worse - but that's just a very rough guesstimation based on other things.

Reactions: Jin

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Where does the whole "Bosch coils are junk" thing even come from? My car is currently on them (as well as was originally) and runs just as good if not better than when I had the Eldor coils in. That's not to even mention the fact that I don't seem to have even half as many problems as many people do, especially the parrot-y FB group types who think one specific part is the be-all-end-all.

None of the 3 OEM options will compare to the PR or BL set obviously, but I've yet to ever see any definitive proof that one outperforms the other, let even runs differently. I think people just think that Eldor or Delphi are better because ANY new coils outperform old beat up ones anyway. If anything, I think the fact that BMW started cutting corners and trying to save money after going all-out on the N54 (especially early models) would point in the direction that newer coils might even be worse - but that's just a very rough guesstimation based on other things.
I had oem Bosch, and started getting all kinds of misfire and timing corrections, and would throw the car into limp mode. Picked up eldor coils from fcpeuro. Never had an issue. If i didnt get on the group buy for pr id still be running them, but the time was right considering im waiting on my docrace kit. Thats just my take from experience, not hear-say, and joining the bash with no experience. I have read posts however bosch coils cause issues.

Edit: just realized i repeated most of my previous post. But whatever lol. I had my experience and my story share.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I had oem Bosch, and started getting all kinds of misfire and timing corrections, and would throw the car into limp mode. Picked up eldor coils from fcpeuro. Never had an issue. If i didnt get on the group buy for pr id still be running them, but the time was right considering im waiting on my docrace kit. Thats just my take from experience, not hear-say, and joining the bash with no experience. I have read posts however bosch coils cause issues.

I definitely believe you that putting in the Eldor coils had your car running better, no questions there. And I'm 110% not trying to discredit your opinion or say you didn't experience anything because I know how good it feels to have your car running better. But how many miles were on your Bosch compared to the Eldor coils? That, and the fact that many people for years were okay with ordering coils from eBay and/or Amazon where fakes have been known to circulate has me believing that the Bosch coils aren't inferior themselves.

From the years I've spent on various N54 forums and now seeing the FB groups, the typical order of events is usually:
A) Nowadays: Poor running or misfire after many many miles on factory-installed Bosch coils -> swap to Eldor/Delphi because they're the current OE coils -> better running due to brand new coils = "oh wow, these Delphi's really are better than Bosch's!"

B) Nowadays on FB groups and amongst new, high mileage/low budget owners: Poor running or misfire after many many miles on factory-installed Bosch coils -> buy new plugs instead of coils to save money, still experience poor performance due to worn coils-> finally suck it up and buy new coils (usually Delphi or Eldor due to "groupthink") -> "oh wow, these Delphi's really are better than Bosch's!"

C) a few years back/occasionally still on EPost: Poor running or misfire after many many miles on factory-installed Bosch coils -> buy cheapest Bosch coils available online despite sketchy Chinese seller -> issue might be fixed for a while, might still perform poorly -> suck it up, spend more on new coils from FCP (again, usually Eldor or Delphi because of online groupthink + new and shiny) -> "oh wow, these Delphi's really are better than Bosch's!"

I'm just saying I think the echo chamber is indiscriminatory with whether it reverberates good info or voodoo. For a long time people were saying the 2-step colder NGKs were the best plugs, and to always gap your plugs at .022 or less. Same thing with the factory airbox supposedly producing better power than cone filters because of colder air. Now it's common knowledge that's not the case.

I run an E50 blend and have pretty high miles and have only ever had misfires and rough running on old coils, regardless of brand. Shit, for a while people were spending hundreds of dollars on "plasma" coils and swore they had far better performance. From the hard evidence, it turns out the only difference was the plasma coils had red caps and performed better solely because they were newer.

Reactions: V8bait and tisdrew

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I would have to check my receipts, but im over the road at the moment. The previous 2 owners (im 3rd.) Took really good care of the car, i believe within the past 30-40k they were replaced at an indy. Ive got almost every receipt including window sticker. Now, if the indy previously used a knockoff version or crap seller/source i cant back that up. No way to tell. But ive learned not to cheap out. Costs you in the long run, and who knows what else it'll take with it. Plus these cars are temperamental. But again, maybe mine just wore out quicker as i put them in a stress environment as the previous owners were stock. Who knows. It ran great. Till i took it apart lol.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I would have to check my receipts, but im over the road at the moment. The previous 2 owners (im 3rd.) Took really good care of the car, i believe within the past 30-40k they were replaced at an indy. Ive got almost every receipt including window sticker. Now, if the indy previously used a knockoff version or crap seller/source i cant back that up. No way to tell. But ive learned not to cheap out. Costs you in the long run, and who knows what else it'll take with it. Plus these cars are temperamental. But again, maybe mine just wore out quicker as i put them in a stress environment as the previous owners were stock. Who knows. It ran great. Till i took it apart lol.
Alright, that's about what I expected tbh lol. I'm glad you got a good example of a car, but even being taken care of well might not mean replacing coils preventatively - shit, I've met a lot of people who take overall good care of their cars who still think every car has a distributor. Us enthusiasts who even care about different coils are a completely different breed :grin:

But yeah, I would have to say if you saw a drastic performance increase, chances are the coils were closer to that 40k side at the very least and tuning greatly decreases the life of them. It obviously doesn't matter to you now, but I'd be willing to bet a large chunk of money there's no difference between any of the N54 pencil coils other than the shell.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
@Panzerfaust

Yeah, I was saying the same thing on a different forum:
"But who knows if that's just people going from old coils which have one foot in the grave to new coil packs."

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I've been using S55 coils for a long while without knowing it, they are delphi.
So far so good can't complain.

Reactions: doublespaces

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Stock coils are stock coils, only design change was like 10 years ago with how it engages the plug. QC between vendors may vary I suppose? Mostly people just like them because they are used on the S55 which means your car is now part S55 I guess.

pepper.png

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
If what you're saying is true, why is it that coil upgrades aren't so prevalent on high-powered S55 and S63 cars?

Lower power density and cylinder pressures in S63 and lower cylinder pressures with improved head and engine design overall in the S55 probably. Many of them do have issues.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I thought the S55 head was almost as shitty as the N55 which is just as shitty as ours ?