Rb turbo power levels

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Ive spoke to the few shops that have installed them. No im not giving names. Dont ask. Thats not what this thread is about. If you guys would like to start a discussion on mmp1k turbos id be more then happy to follow thread that separately.

Indeed feel free to start another thread if anyone wants to delve deeper into this unrelated discussion- no need for it here.

Rob

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
What is the biggest you can go while still staying close to stock lag

Rob09msport,

It is really incremental in terms of loss of boost response as you go up the chain so we'd suggest positioning your turbo selection around your power goals. For example do not buy a 600whp turbo if you only want 450whp, as the latter setup will spool much quicker. This is a big reason why we have so many options as we can cater to your goals and budget at a very fine level.

This aside they all spool damn quick and we have never had a customer say "my RB Next Gens are laggy", rather most say "My RB Next Gens spool faster than my stock turbos!". Keep in mind however we do not think it is fair to pass that along as if it is gospel, as many who are replacing their turbos are replacing old beat OEM turbos that were on their deathbed... and if they had brand new OEM turbos that they were comparing to we do not believe the statement would be the same.

All said we feel the RB Next Gens are the Jack of all Trades- Power, Spool, Budget.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Very often the "trash" is true but very few want to put it out there as they never know what the future holds and don't want to burn bridges or get involved in the drama. Installers get paid either way. Consumers could get warranty declinations or lose goodwill incentive "updates" for speaking out too.

Few may also want to get involved with tarnishing a business reputation, especially when they may otherwise seem to have a good reputation. It is just a matter of time, or years rather, when these things could come to the publics eye when there becomes a "me too" epiphany and a subsequent piranha effect occurs.

So in short the "support" you are seeking would require one 3rd party to (on their own accord) bring forth the statements of others based on their experiences- sometimes it takes many years before the consumers themselves start to care enough to do such things.

Rob
So we just stick with drive-by, third-hand commentaries, publicly trashing vendor products instead of asking people to back up claims? Ouch. What a strange and dysfunctional community this is. And to actually get that logic from vendor is baffling.

The OP could have simply started this thread with the subject he had in mind, which was to ask about RB turbos. Taking a swipe and another vendors product along the way distracted from what he was trying to achieve, that is if what he was trying to achieve was to ask about RB turbos instead of spreading FUD about a product of MMP.

Filippo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
So we just stick with drive-by, third-hand commentaries, publicly trashing vendor products instead of asking people to back up claims? Ouch. What a strange and dysfunctional community this is. And to actually get that logic from vendor is baffling.

The OP could have simply started this thread with the subject he had in mind, which was to ask about RB turbos. Taking a swipe and another vendors product along the way distracted from what he was trying to achieve, that is if what he was trying to achieve was to ask about RB turbos instead of spreading FUD about a product of MMP.

Filippo

Filippo,

Yes we believe you are correct most of the time. In fact over the past 8 years selling turbochargers to this community we have had some issues as well, and guess what we have mostly trolling us for literally years thereafter? You've guessed it, those same "drive-by, third-hand commentaries, publicly trashing vendor products instead of asking people to back up claims." Very seldom is it actually one we have dealt with and for sure the 3rd parties are the ones that typically do the ranting online. However this doesn't mean they aren't entirely correct about "issues".

These things can haunt you for an insane amount of time when you get the parroting effect into full swing and this swing can take years to manifest itself and also many years to reverse once set into motion. 'Tis is the life of turbo business over many years over the internet.

Regarding the baffling vendor logic all we can say is that we have been there, done that, etc.; and we get calls a LOT from frustrated consumers from all walks of turbo vendor life. So unless we are getting pranked from guys (ordering oil drains, pcv systems, looking for 2nd opinions, etc.) hoping for resolves to their issues; then we wouldn't necessarily call some things stated as FUD.

At any rate if you'd wish to start a new thread requesting the specifics surrounding this unrelated discussion (to the thread at hand) then be our guest.

Rob

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
So if I am going for dd pump 93 as i no longer have access to e85 and got sick of driving hr each way to fill bunch jugs the super evo should offer more power and less lag than next gens or just more power and do you know what I could make on 93 with the next gens and then t the sort
15t and 17t super evo I am thinking the 19t would give up to much transient response for what I'm looking for

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
So if I am going for dd pump 93 as i know longer have access to e85 and got sick of driving hr each way to fill bunch jugs the super evo should offer more power and less lag than next gens or just more power and do you know what I could make on 93 with the next gens and then t the sort
15t and 17t super evo I am thinking the 19t would give up to much transient response for what I'm looking for

What are your 93 octane power goals?

Rob

Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
I'm just wondering why not all vendors are hopping on the cast manifold option. Does the cast manifold allow too much extra flow causing the turbos to fail quicker because more power is pushed through them?

IF there is a separate thread where this is answered or argued about someone can just copy paste the link here because I can't find any of that info.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I'm just wondering why not all vendors are hopping on the cast manifold option. Does the cast manifold allow too much extra flow causing the turbos to fail quicker because more power is pushed through them?

IF there is a separate thread where this is answered or argued about someone can just copy paste the link here because I can't find any of that info.

Several things:
1) These cast manifolds are usually subpar metallurgically vs. the OEM manifolds- despite what vendors may claim (and is why they are getting them for next to nothing in cost).
2) We have seen no real visual/measurable advantages when comparing the currently "available" cast manifolds vs. the OEM manifolds where it matters most (ie. in the A/R). Real world racing scenarios seem to back this up as well.
3) OEM manifold were designed by world turbo super powers and hundreds of true turbo engineers, not reverse engineered originals or personal designs by smallish companies (ie. overly large is not always the answer). We also feel we are in safer hands using what we have been using without issues for many years (ie. we have no interest in a potential housing cracking epidemic over years of usage).
4) We have no plans of offering cast manifolds and to date believe most of their accolades are based mainly from over-hype and ill-marketing. Ultimately we are fine letting the others take whacks at the trials and errors of doing these things and in the interim appreciate keeping utmost quality in our own products.
5) Authentic OEM turbos are readily available, high quality, and thanks to what we believe to be lesser quality alternatives being brought forth are only going to be more and more affordable in used take off form.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Idratherbesurfing

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I would love to have 600whp but 550 or higher is good if i had to I could use meth I would prefer not to or just 2 nozzles to help iat unless I had no choice for my goals

We've seen some make over 575whp on pump and meth, but on pump alone it is a tough call to make much more than 500whp. Now we've seen highest around 525whp on pump, but we are sure it was a large push and something that you should not expect as achievable by everyone. Ultimately these engines do not seem to like ~93 pump gas alone, regardless of your turbo setup whether mild or wild, so if you are looking for a reliable 500+whp you really are going to want to start considering meth/ethanol/race gas.

Rob

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
We've seen some make over 575whp on pump and meth, but on pump alone it is a tough call to make much more than 500whp. Now we've seen highest around 525whp on pump, but we are sure it was a large push and something that you should not expect as achievable by everyone. Ultimately these engines do not seem to like ~93 pump gas alone, regardless of your turbo setup whether mild or wild, so if you are looking for a reliable 500+whp you really are going to want to start considering meth/ethanol/race gas.

Rob
So with meth what turbo would you recommend

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Like would next gens spool better then rb 2s or other way around and do the next gens have better et cause of more low end , response, or broader torque curve or the plus should do better but just didn't cause of that specific car and run ?

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Rob09,

Buy the largest your budget will permit. Meth will help with all of them. The TD03 based RB Twos (which are still in Beta and at a 0% failure rate) should spool about identically to TD04 based RB Next Gens. Send email for any other questions at [email protected]

Thanks,
Rob