Raise your hand if you've blown up an N54!

Have you blown up an N54?

• Yes

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 70 58.3%

• Total voters

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
There has to be some sort of explanation as to why it happened. I too, was in complete awe. My analytical mind did something similar to some of these responses the first time I observed it.

Reality is that it can happen, until exposed to these situations I would have not believed it either.

My speculation would be that it would be a high heat situation in the catalyst followed by a misfire. Uneven pressure pulses (possibly vacuum) from the lack of combustion combined with a hot and weakened Cat material would allow the material to travel backwards for a short period of time. BUT, I'm just a mechanic.

@matreyia are you getting or did you get new turbos and oiling system components when they replaced the engine?

The whole shabang was replaced...turbos and all. The turbos were shredded.

Reactions: gmagnus7
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Yes i've been in contact with Mo. He's a great guy and deserving of a much needed vacation but Paul is still there and he's building the motor. Tony should be overseeing everything so things should be moving along.
Eric, not sure if you have heard. I was just informed a few minutes ago. I was told Mo has passed unexpectedly. To say I was blown away, shocked, and saddened by the news is an understatement. Not sure what this means for your motor, but VAC gets a pass in my book as they deal with this loss...:(

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Eric, not sure if you have heard. I was just informed a few minutes ago. I was told Mo has passed unexpectedly. To say I was blown away, shocked, and saddened by the news is an understatement. Not sure what this means for your motor, but VAC gets a pass in my book as they deal with this loss...:(

I don't know Mo but it is always unfortunate to hear a member of our community pass unexpectedly.

My condolences to all who knew him.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe

Yes they called me this morning to let me know of the sad news. He will be missed. I feel soo bad for his family. I haven't even thought about my motor cause I'm dealing with all the hurricane damage and loss of power here. Hearing the news about Mo just makes things worse.

nate335i

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Hawaii
Ride
07' 335i
ive seen this thread on here for a while and never clicked on it.. strictly because i didnt wanna even think about joining this community.. the infamous

well im pretty sure im about to be raising my hand

fck

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
ive seen this thread on here for a while and never clicked on it.. strictly because i didnt wanna even think about joining this community.. the infamous

well im pretty sure im about to be raising my hand

fck
What happened?

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
When ask for all of the Torques, be prepared to pay the price for them. Oliver I-Beam Rods looking like a pretzel....
IMG-3620.JPG

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Why? Who else is making 900+WTQ by 3200? That is what killed them. Oliver makes very tough rods, and so does Manley, Carillo, etc. I was just pushing too hard down low because I wanted to see whats possible. I'll shift the power right a little bit, and the rods wont be an issue.

Reactions: kayzrx82