Raise your hand if you've blown up an N54!

Have you blown up an N54?

• Yes

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 58.2%

• Total voters

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
If 650-700whp level is where you'd like to be at, I don't think closing the deck or sleeving the block would be necessary. Although sleeving the block would strengthen the cylinder walls and prolong the time it takes for normal wear, it would not prevent them from ovaling under high HP. The more power the more the cylinders will "rock". Only closing the deck would prevent that. (Or pinning block which isn't desirable). I don't believe this would be an issue on the N54 unless approaching the 1000hp mark. This is just my belief and not a fact. Also, closing the deck does NOT eliminate the open spaces for cooling nor will it increase knock. IMO

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
LOL @ closed deck not increasing knock. You're right about cooling though I haven't noticed any difference in that department.
My shit went from minimal timing corrections to pulling 9 degrees when I went closed deck lmao

That's because harmonic resonance wasn't taken into consideration in the closed deck process of your engine "more than likely". This was talked about greatly when designing my closed deck. I've had no knock issues in my motor with +850whp dyno pulls. Jake from Motiv dyno tuned it and was surprised.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
[QUOTE="...Also, closing the deck does NOT eliminate the open spaces for cooling nor will it increase knock. IMO[/QUOTE]

Uh... at 7 mins 45 seconds... you can clearly see the coolant compartment/channels between the cylinder walls and the outer engine walls. Also, the 'increased knocking' is not from the pistons behaving any different, but rather the fact that after closed deck, there is no more coolant channel to buffer the piston noise as it becomes one solid piece from cylinder walls to the knock sensor on the engine, thus the noise is transferred more and the sensor 'thinks' that there is abnormal knock when there isn't. So as a result, you must desensitize your knock sensor to prevent faults.

• Agree
Reactions: kayzrx82 and veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
[QUOTE="...Also, closing the deck does NOT eliminate the open spaces for cooling nor will it increase knock. IMO

Uh... at 7 mins 45 seconds... you can clearly see the coolant compartment/channels between the cylinder walls and the outer engine walls. Also, the 'increased knocking' is not from the pistons behaving any different, but rather the fact that after closed deck, there is no more coolant channel to buffer the piston noise as it becomes one solid piece from cylinder walls to the knock sensor on the engine, thus the noise is transferred more and the sensor 'thinks' that there is abnormal knock when there isn't. So as a result, you must desensitize your knock sensor to prevent faults.

I'm 99% sure false knock is a combination of the closed deck insert, aftermarket piston material, and piston to wall clearance.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
[QUOTE="...Also, closing the deck does NOT eliminate the open spaces for cooling nor will it increase knock. IMO

Uh... at 7 mins 45 seconds... you can clearly see the coolant compartment/channels between the cylinder walls and the outer engine walls. Also, the 'increased knocking' is not from the pistons behaving any different, but rather the fact that after closed deck, there is no more coolant channel to buffer the piston noise as it becomes one solid piece from cylinder walls to the knock sensor on the engine, thus the noise is transferred more and the sensor 'thinks' that there is abnormal knock when there isn't. So as a result, you must desensitize your knock sensor to prevent faults.[/QUOTE]

Uh... If they're filling the cylinder walls solid they're doing it wrong. A closed deck plate is less than 1/2 in thick and pressed in and then deck is milled flat. You can see how mine was done in my build thread. My knock sensors ARE NOT desensitized.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Uh... If they're filling the cylinder walls solid they're doing it wrong. A closed deck plate is less than 1/2 in thick and pressed in and then deck is milled flat. You can see how mine was done in my build thread. My knock sensors ARE NOT desensitized.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that whoever did your closed deck did NOT do it like this here from ABR Houston? In these photos here, you can see that an entire half of the coolant channels is complete gone and only the right side remains in substantially smaller proportions. Please post a link to your build so I can see what you are talking about. These photos show that there is less coolant flow in the cylinder walls vs. completely hollow stock engine walls.
punisher stroker n54 abrhouston.jpg

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
NO it is not. But Alex at ABR doesn't use block filler either. His plate is pressed in and then milled also. Here are pics of my block.
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
NO it is not. But Alex at ABR doesn't use block filler either. His plate is pressed in and then milled also. Here are pics of my block.
View attachment 16032
View attachment 16033

Yours looks like a completely different thing...like different sleeves or something. Are you saying that ABR retains the channels underneath the completely milled and closed surface...whereas your engine has those holes around the cylinder walls to channel coolant? Doesn't it seem like your engine isn't a closed deck if there are continuous holes at the perimeter of each cylinder wall?

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Yes to ABR retaining the coolant channels underneath and as long as the top of the cylinders are connected to the block, it's basically a closed deck

D

Deleted member 2204

Yup. Guilty. Well, not exactly the engine, but more everything around it.

2008 E91 with about 130k miles. Intercooler, Downpipes. Stock turbo's running MHD Stage2+ 102RON and xHP Stage3.
Went on the autobahn, got up to 145mph and lost power. Dashboard turned into a X-mas tree and lots of pitch black smoke behind the car.
Got to the side lane and found flames under the hood coming from turbo/downpipe area.
Just 4 minutes later; nothing survived.

445401170_339269.jpg

IMG_20180506_110251.jpg

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
how well maintained was this car to burst into flames? any upgraded radiator?

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
While that's true when looking at specific rods as examples, that's not correct when fundamentally looking at the design.
Fundamentally an H beam is stiffer and can take compression loads better. Tensile loads are better with the other type. This is why I said there too many variables like weight and cross section. cross section being equal an H will take a higher compression load. Revs play a huge choice in selection as the higher you rev, the rod wants to pull apart at the top of the exhaust stroke making an I beam have the advantage. When I was in undergrad we did a lot of material test in the UF material science lab. The H design under compression would outperform. This is why H is used on metal beams on buildings for support. I beams would perfom great for loads under tension.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Could it have been a blower motor wiring harness that caused it?

Filippo
My harness went out and a puff of smoke into the cabin during rush hour traffic last two months...drove it straight to the dealership and told them that BMWNA told me to bring it to them asap... and they fixed it on the spot when they heard that.

If I would have kept the AC on, I think it would have caught fire. Because the harness was totally fucked and melted when it came out.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Flames coming from the turbo/dp area doesn't sound like blower motor wiring issue. Sounds like something was simply too close and caught fire. Lots of wiring and stuff in that area

D

Deleted member 2204

how well maintained was this car to burst into flames? any upgraded radiator?

Well maintained engine with new coils,plugs,injectors,crankcase valve,etc. Factory turbo's.

If you ask me; 1 or more turbo's failed. Seals broken en oil was pumped into the turbo hausing/exhaust. Since i just did a 100->240km/h pull, everything was red hot. The oil that entered the turbo/exhaust went in flames and somehow the flames managed to find its way its outside and took the car with it.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
Uh... If they're filling the cylinder walls solid they're doing it wrong. A closed deck plate is less than 1/2 in thick and pressed in and then deck is milled flat. You can see how mine was done in my build thread. My knock sensors ARE NOT desensitized.

Are you saying that whoever did your closed deck did NOT do it like this here from ABR Houston? In these photos here, you can see that an entire half of the coolant channels is complete gone and only the right side remains in substantially smaller proportions. Please post a link to your build so I can see what you are talking about. These photos show that there is less coolant flow in the cylinder walls vs. completely hollow stock engine walls.
View attachment 16031[/QUOTE]

Closed decks will lower heat transfer at the top portion of the cylinder wall. That is a fact. When running a closed deck you need to upgrade your cooling system to compensate. The highest heat transfer to the coolant is at the head, exhaust ports and that top portion of the cylinder wall that is now covered by the insert. An open deck is better at transferring heat to the coolant more efficient than a closed deck. Yes a closed deck is stronger but it is less efficient at transferring heat to the coolant .

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Closed decks will lower heat transfer at the top portion of the cylinder wall. That is a fact. When running a closed deck you need to upgrade your cooling system to compensate. The highest heat transfer to the coolant is at the head, exhaust ports and that top portion of the cylinder wall that is now covered by the insert. An open deck is better at transferring heat to the coolant more efficient than a closed deck. Yes a closed deck is stronger but it is less efficient at transferring heat to the coolant .
I think you may be confused. An insert will only prohibit heat transfer if the coolant passages in the insert cause any sort of restriction to coolant flow. Maybe there is a specific insert you are saying will do this, but I can assure you that there are N54 inserts that are port matched to the passages on the head to prevent this.