PSP 900ic with 3" lower CP

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I believe you, so why is everyone worrying so much? This is high on my "next move list".
It sounds like the 335is has less room maybe? Dunno. Wasn't a big deal for me. I just bought some mandrel bends and cut, fit, weld, repeat.

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
First awesome job on the charge that looks pretty good there @The Convert. Second is off topic sorry guys but I have two questions for @The Convert.
1. Are you monitoring crankcase pressure in this picture?
2. Where is the oil catch can hose running too on the passed get side(right)?
1. Good eye. I am. I was running my boost gauge to the oem crankcase vacuum oil cap piece. Turns out we get positive pressure in the crankcase with single kits at least(never checked with stock twins). Not much, but any is more than we are supposed to have.
2. I'm running a Motiv single kit, but have the same filter as my old bottom mount fftec single kit on instead of the inlet tube provided with the motiv kit. So, I made a plate with a tube that the catch can hose runs to for vacuum under boost. I have not tested this though, just copied the idea from my fftec kit. In the future, I'll probably tap the catch can and run my boost gauge to it to see if it is actually pulling any vacuum.
IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

Reactions: doublespaces

TwinTurboWAWD

Private
May 16, 2017
Ride
09 335i xDrive
1. Good eye. I am. I was running my boost gauge to the oem crankcase vacuum oil cap piece. Turns out we get positive pressure in the crankcase with single kits at least(never checked with stock twins). Not much, but any is more than we are supposed to have.
2. I'm running a Motiv single kit, but have the same filter as my old bottom mount fftec single kit on instead of the inlet tube provided with the motiv kit. So, I made a plate with a tube that the catch can hose runs to for vacuum under boost. I have not tested this though, just copied the idea from my fftec kit. In the future, I'll probably tap the catch can and run my boost gauge to it to see if it is actually pulling any vacuum.
View attachment 9491
View attachment 9490
I think my crankcase adapter for the diesel engines I work on will fit. I'll try it

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
IC_pipe.jpg
It sounds like the 335is has less room maybe? Dunno. Wasn't a big deal for me. I just bought some mandrel bends and cut, fit, weld, repeat.
Very nice job. Home brew/custom fit would be easier to squeeze in, do what you gotta to do to make it fit. OTS/pre-fabbed pipe is why I was looking for confirmation, it is what it is. I have a TIG, but getting lazy in my old age. If I spent money on a FMIC with piping, I'd rather the piping just fit without needing to modify it at this point.

Yep, 335is would need KY and a shoe horn by comparison. There are multiple formed hoses/lines there that create a space the lower IC pipe needs to fit through. Can't see in this pic, but there are 2 more on the engine side and the passenger side and even this 2.75" silicone hose is squeezed on 2-3 of them.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
View attachment 9495 Very nice job. Home brew/custom fit would be easier to squeeze in, do what you gotta to do to make it fit. OTS/pre-fabbed pipe is why I was looking for confirmation, it is what it is. I have a TIG, but getting lazy in my old age. If I spent money on a FMIC with piping, I'd rather the piping just fit without needing to modify it at this point.

Yep, 335is would need KY and a shoe horn by comparison. There are multiple formed hoses/lines there that create a space the lower IC pipe needs to fit through. Can't see in this pic, but there are 2 more on the engine side and the passenger side and even this 2.75" silicone hose is squeezed on 2-3 of them.
Looks like the bigger issue with fitment is the driver's side inlets. Moves those to the passenger's side and you free up a good bit of space.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
Looks like the bigger issue with fitment is the driver's side inlets. Moves those to the passenger's side and you free up a good bit of space.
Ahh, I see. I don't have the ability to Fab pipes for my self, and I'm trying to avoid going too far from stock-looking. This isn't in my near future apparently.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
It’s the angle of the picture. There’s room up top, but ST or hot side inlets would make even more. The inlet clears the 3” charge pipe with room to spare at the closest point, so definitely less concerned about that area than the places the IC hose is already hitting.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
View attachment 9491
View attachment 9490
Not to continue the off topic, but if it wasn't mentioned, what PCV setup and catch can are you running?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not to continue the off topic, but if it wasn't mentioned, what PCV setup and catch can are you running?
Oem flapper to BMS can to fftec style filter on motiv ST. RB valve on the low pressure side. That's it so far. Haven't seen enough real data on externalizing the low load side to follow suit yet.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Oem flapper to BMS can to fftec style filter on motiv ST. RB valve on the low pressure side. That's it so far. Haven't seen enough real data on externalizing the low load side to follow suit yet.

Hey do you know of an off the shelf product that I can use to modify a BMS filter so I can attach a hose to it? Or a ST filter I can buy already designed that way and still fits on a VM/ACF top mount? Asking for my buddy.

I can probably hack something together at the hardware store but if there is something off the shelf I would prefer that.

Attachments

• single_turbo_kit_1024x1024.jpg
    single_turbo_kit_1024x1024.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Hey do you know of an off the shelf product that I can use to modify a BMS filter so I can attach a hose to it? Or a ST filter I can buy already designed that way and still fits on a VM/ACF top mount? Asking for my buddy.

I can probably hack something together at the hardware store but if there is something off the shelf I would prefer that.
I don't know of anything. Fftec may make you one if you call them up?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I don't know of anything. Fftec may make you one if you call them up?

I'll give it a shot. My only fear is their existing filter may be too large and not fit the top mount. I wonder if it is worth the hassle to send them mine...I think it's likely going to be a home depot solution...I just really don't want to use to use a nut on the side of the filter that could come loose and be eaten by a turbo...

Who knows maybe I will just cut an X insert something similar(but larger) and seal with room temperature vulcanizer:
https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13569880_f1024.jpg

Or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cleaner-Smog-Vent-Fitting/dp/B01KW11JLK

I don't like the idea of no vacuum on the high side...

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'll give it a shot. My only fear is their existing filter may be too large and not fit the top mount. I wonder if it is worth the hassle to send them mine...I think it's likely going to be a home depot solution...I just really don't want to use to use a nut on the side of the filter that could come loose and be eaten by a turbo...

Who knows maybe I will just cut an X insert something similar(but larger) and seal with room temperature vulcanizer:
https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13569880_f1024.jpg

Or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cleaner-Smog-Vent-Fitting/dp/B01KW11JLK

I don't like the idea of no vacuum on the high side...
A nut is a big no no. Don't use any sealants or fasteners that could get ingested. Mine is a round plate that fits the recess in the end of the filter and an aluminum tube slide through a hole in the center, welded to the disk, and a flare put on the inside tube so it sandwiches the rubber of the filter between the flare and the disk.

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
A nut is a big no no. Don't use any sealants or fasteners that could get ingested. Mine is a round plate that fits the recess in the end of the filter and an aluminum tube slide through a hole in the center, welded to the disk, and a flare put on the inside tube so it sandwiches the rubber of the filter between the flare and the disk.

Mine is exactly the same as well.

Reactions: The Convert