PR coils are on

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
New boots fit like stock. Super easy to install. I think the coilpacks and rail are a bit of a pain in the ass with the stock mounting points, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. In addition, my engine cover doesn't fit with the coils on. Maybe the foam needs to be trimmed or removed. Anyone know?

Also have a new misfire on cyl 1 after doing new plugs (0.025) and the coils. Probably the plug as I bobbled that one and dropped it on my workbench when applying dielectric grease to the ceramic.

Purchased a couple new plugs and going to replace the #1 plug tomorrow and see. Will update.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
How does one get the new boots? Just order this?
http://www.precisionraceworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=84
I still have my original set uninstalled in the box with that zebra cake lol.

Just email Robert at PR and explain your situation. I am certain he won't give you any trouble as he expects people to request updates anyways. Send him your invoice number and be done with it. Since it isn't even opened, I am sure he would be reasonable enough to take care of you.

Reactions: Jeffman

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Those wanting n55 wires will be waiting. 6 months until production starts. I emailed and asked. I dont know if anyone else ordered a n55 kit or not for their n54.

• Informative

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
The replacement boots arrived, a nice design change. PR coils are back on the car as of this morning along with a new set of 95770's with tune-up grease applied to both the ceramic on the plugs as well as the interior of the boot. New design is on the left.
new_boot.jpg

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
I just wanted to follow up to this thread after putting a few miles on the car. The tune up grease has addressed the arcing I was seeing on the plug insulators, proper torque of the plugs is mandatory, and running full E85 @ 26-27 psi is as smooth as a baby's behind. PR's updated boot design is MUCH better, at least in my case, than the previous design. The power is good, in 40 degree weather last night all 4 broke loose in 2nd and resulted in a huge smile.

The car just turned 91k miles, and it's time to look into a built auto tranny as mine (xHP stg 2) isn't slipping yet (that I can see / feel), but the 3-4 shift is getting worse, and 2-3 is beginning to show signs of stress. The 3-4 shift takes around twice as long as any other, and when 4th catches it catches quite hard.

Is Level 10 still the place to go for an automatic build?

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
Ive been running the original style boots in my clients car now for a few months with zero issues. @V8bait tuned it on pump gas and she rocks. I didnt use any grease either, but actually folded that lip into the spark plug recess, and its practically watertight/airtight.

Im not running the factory engine cover either...didnt want to hack it up so I just left it off.