Port E85 with Meth

N54TT

Corporal
Jul 21, 2020
Ride
2013 335is
Hi guys,

So I made some changes on my build. I swapped in the RB Game Finisher turbos a few months ago. I was running the AIC controller with the port injection plate and my rail pressure was always inconsistent so the AIC was pretty much junk on my setup. I swapped over to the BMS Phoenix manifold with top port injection and also installed the Motiv Reflex+ and all my problems went away. The Reflex+ is def worth getting for port injection I don't ever have to be worried about my rail pressure tanking and running lean because that's what would happen 2 out of 5 WOT pulls. Anyways, I still have my AEM meth kit installed when I had stock turbos with a single BM10 nozzle (640 ml/min) that's apparently rated enough for just the stock turbos according to BMS. Should I disconnect the meth kit and run just straight E85? I thought it might be beneficial for intake cooling with the small nozzle, but I have been reading some mixed reviews that it becomes pointless if you're running full E85.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hi guys,

So I made some changes on my build. I swapped in the RB Game Finisher turbos a few months ago. I was running the AIC controller with the port injection plate and my rail pressure was always inconsistent so the AIC was pretty much junk on my setup. I swapped over to the BMS Phoenix manifold with top port injection and also installed the Motiv Reflex+ and all my problems went away. The Reflex+ is def worth getting for port injection I don't ever have to be worried about my rail pressure tanking and running lean because that's what would happen 2 out of 5 WOT pulls. Anyways, I still have my AEM meth kit installed when I had stock turbos with a single BM10 nozzle (640 ml/min) that's apparently rated enough for just the stock turbos according to BMS. Should I disconnect the meth kit and run just straight E85? I thought it might be beneficial for intake cooling with the small nozzle, but I have been reading some mixed reviews that it becomes pointless if you're running full E85.
I agree on kinda pointless.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Harm, no
But still kinda pointless.

Is there no situation in which it would potentially help? 120 degrees ambient as an example? Or leaning out the AFR for more power? Twins blowing nuclear hot air? Just curious. Mainly as I like to think my meth kit as doing something and I don't want to remove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Is there no situation in which it would potentially help? 120 degrees ambient as an example? Or leaning out the AFR for more power? Twins blowing nuclear hot air? Just curious. Mainly as I like to think my meth kit as doing something and I don't want to remove it.
Remove it.
Run full E85.
Let us know if it blows.
If it does, we now know it indeed does make a difference 🤷🏾‍♂️

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST

if you are running so rich that there is a notable power drop off you are either running richer than you need to be or your ignition system is not coping. as an aside methanol is not a fuel you want to be running lean in high performance application, e85 is more forgiving from a tuning AFR window point of view.

the single biggest issue regards safety and e85 in my view is pre-ignition in modern high torque low rpm boosted DI engines. ethanol pre-ignites easily and i believe a lot of n54 piston failures stem from pre-ignition not knock. the knock may well have started after a pre-ignition event. with that in mind the optimal addition to e85 would be direct port meth/water or JUST water. water prevents pre-ignition so you want its properties for stable flame front and a fuel mix that is hard to set off on its own. with water in the mix then you dont have to run as rich because the additional cooling is coming from it rather than the fuel.

- i would not run water at a single point nozzle because of distribution concerns
- optimal ignition timing will increase with water (otherwise you will loose some power) because it slows down the flame front
- at some point avoiding pre-ignition also makes things harder on the ignition system itself so that might need an upgrade.

the above is what i would plan for my own engine if i were worried about protecting it, not for dyno number numbers or performance, just insurance against piston damage.

also Torgus, i cant recall if you are direct port or not, but in either case you want to reduce your nozzle size for water only if you were to consider it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wheela