Popped the block

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
So if the root cause of this problem was indeed tired rods, it would perhaps be good for others to know how much torque they had to deal with in this case. I did below virtual dyno to compare with my own tune. My car is a little faster than a stock M4 for comparison.

View attachment 31275

I don't know if the standard VD data is right for your car - I selected 335i sedan manual transmission in virtual dyno. At least the torque projection should be pretty accurate.
that seems a bit on the high side for torque. But I don't have anything to counter it with. edit- just realized that is Nm, not ft/lbs. That's probably pretty close.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
I was able to snake an endoscope cam through the hole in my block. Surprised to see the piston broke at the wrist and the con rod is snapped in half, sitting on the windage tray.

Attachments

• 24A62FE4-31FA-44DB-91A6-92F7C89380B0.jpeg
    24A62FE4-31FA-44DB-91A6-92F7C89380B0.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 73

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
If what Asbjorn said is correct you were running way too hot of a tune for the track. These blocks lack the adequate cooling, and the oil heats up too much. If you were on e85 or meth maybe you would have survived, but generally for track setups on factory turbos 14psi with around 7.5 degrees timing is the limit to survive. On upgraded turbos that retain the factory manifolds you can barely get away with any more, maaaybe 16psi at conservative timing. The advantage of upgraded turbos is the top end, holding power, not so much adding it. N54 isn't great at the track without some significant changes unfortunately. Too much heat and the clearances tighten and you lose ring lands and pistons, too much heat or too high G of turn and oil breaks down or you lose oiling and lose a bearing/rod.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
If what Asbjorn said is correct you were running way too hot of a tune for the track. These blocks lack the adequate cooling, and the oil heats up too much. If you were on e85 or meth maybe you would have survived, but generally for track setups on factory turbos 14psi with around 7.5 degrees timing is the limit to survive. On upgraded turbos that retain the factory manifolds you can barely get away with any more, maaaybe 16psi at conservative timing. The advantage of upgraded turbos is the top end, holding power, not so much adding it. N54 isn't great at the track without some significant changes unfortunately. Too much heat and the clearances tighten and you lose ring lands and pistons, too much heat or too high G of turn and oil breaks down or you lose oiling and lose a bearing/rod.
Eh, it held up for 5 yrs as a track car. It happens.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Honestly seriously considering an ls3 swapped in.

You gonna dry sump the ls3? You think it will run any cooler or eat any less cash? Just asking... n54 engines are cheap enough to drop in a new one vs going through all the hidden costs of an engine swap.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I reckon if you planned on sticking with the car over the long long run, then the swap would probably pay dividends.
If you got another 5 years out of a basic n54 set up then that seems like the cheapest way forward?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
:disrelieved:
I know. It’s a $15k swap on the cheap side.

You must mean with a brand new crate motor and t56 transmission, right? I think you should easily be able to go ls swap for less than 15k is you used a junkyard motor.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
You must mean with a brand new crate motor and t56 transmission, right? I think you should easily be able to go ls swap for less than 15k is you used a junkyard motor.
Quality pullout ls3 with manual is around 8k, stand-alone ecu and harness 1500, dry sump 4K, custom exhaust and drive shaft work... it adds up.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@V8bait mentions the factory manifold ... heatwise I wonder how the stock head, known to be rather constrictive, factors into the heat equation.

Filippo

Dream_Racer

Sep 22, 2019
Ride
07 335i
I've been day dreaming of doing an ls swap for a few years now. Big displacement, t56 magnum, ford 8.8 diff. The real hang up for me is the power potential of the n54. 5-600whp is very doable for a track car. Also fairly easy for an ls. Going to need a fairly stout setup though to be reliably pushing those numbers n/a. Stock t56 probably isn't the best bet. The swap would basically come down to cooling ability, better weight distribution and the crazy aftermarket for ls engines. Power isn't really an issue on this platform. Not sure I would go through all that trouble to drop in 430bhp. Like you say, it adds up quickly though. We just don't see the crazy power gains other chassis do, that make it a no brainer. I still want to do it, and I likely will at some point. Would love to see you do it, or anyone that's not doing it for drift or drag racing.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
So just to add in my findings posted in the accusump thread. Even I now have a baffle simiar to OPs, my oil pressure still drops from an indicated 90-100psi to around 60psi on left hand turns when trail-braking with michelin cup 2. On faster left handers, without trail braking first, the drop is only an indicated 80-90psi. Right handers never show signs of oil pressure dropping.

Take these numbers as relative indicators.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
So if the root cause of this problem was indeed tired rods, it would perhaps be good for others to know how much torque they had to deal with in this case. I did below virtual dyno to compare with my own tune. My car is a little faster than a stock M4 for comparison.

View attachment 31275

I don't know if the standard VD data is right for your car - I selected 335i sedan manual transmission in virtual dyno. At least the torque projection should be pretty accurate.

Stock rods are forged, but a good idea to limit boost at low rpm to help them.

Attachments

• 20191008_173749.jpg
    20191008_173749.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Asbjorn

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
As the owner of a C5Z and E90 (that's actually setup to turn) I can tell you right now the C5 is in a completely different league when it comes to handling compared to the E90.

Bang for the buck I don't know that you can have a better track car than a C5Z.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
just as an update here, I parted the 335i out and bought a 2019 SS 1LE. I got one track day in before they were shut down and pulled about eight seconds off my best time in the 335 first time out. I swapped to track pads and camber plates, that's it.
Damn! That’s quite the upgrade. Congrats on the new toy!