Popped the block

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Oh damn. Thanks for sharing the video. I definitely feel we need a good solution for maintaining oil pressure during high g cornering. That's my biggest fear for my car. Not high tq rod issues etc.

Definitely keep us posted David.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Oh damn. Thanks for sharing the video. I definitely feel we need a good solution for maintaining oil pressure during high g cornering. That's my biggest fear for my car. Not high tq rod issues etc.

Definitely keep us posted David.
Will do. Only had planned on one other event this year, so I’m going to have plenty of time to consider.
Now you can be as fast as an RS3

I don’t know what that means, so I’ll take it as an insult.
Sorry about that, David.
Do you think the story would have ended differently if you had installed the accumulator?

Kinda. I don’t know (and not sure if I’ll ever know) if I blew a ringland or lost oil pressure... but it wouldn’t have hurt.
Baffled sump?

Yes. The VAC baffle.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Honestly, after talking with my speed shop, I'm probably leaning more to a c5Z rather than swap an LS in the e90. I think it would be a much more capable track platform and he said by the time we had everything sorted it would be a negligible difference in costs.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
It's those damn noodle n54 con rods... seriously though, sorry to hear. Sounds like you were getting pretty quick with it.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
So if the root cause of this problem was indeed tired rods, it would perhaps be good for others to know how much torque they had to deal with in this case. I did below virtual dyno to compare with my own tune. My car is a little faster than a stock M4 for comparison.

vd.jpg

I don't know if the standard VD data is right for your car - I selected 335i sedan manual transmission in virtual dyno. At least the torque projection should be pretty accurate.

Reactions: doublespaces