Overboosting Mhd . v8 stage 2+

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
HAHAHAHA

Overshooting and throttle closures happen all the time on stock bins. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the 21psi @ 5000rpm+, but seems clear there's just too much density where you are for the OTS DC/PID settings. Either need to get the base lower, give more room for PID to pull, raise target or some combo of all of them. Best bet is to tune boost control at the highest density you'll see to avoid issues like this, so right now is really the best time to get a custom tune going...

Reactions: White335xi

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
HAHAHAHA

Overshooting and throttle closures happen all the time on stock bins. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the 21psi @ 5000rpm+, but seems clear there's just too much density where you are for the OTS DC/PID settings. Either need to get the base lower, give more room for PID to pull, raise target or some combo of all of them. Best bet is to tune boost control at the highest density you'll see to avoid issues like this, so right now is really the best time to get a custom tune going...

I'm running a 93 octane tune that was dialed in during the spring / summer 70-90*F, right now it's 5*F (fuck NY lolololol) and I'm not overboosting at all. Boost also goes down with temperature due to how load is calculated.

If you do dial in say 18psi at the absolute lowest temperature, when it warms up you'll find it targeting 23+ psi and probably blow something up.

Either OP has some kind of hardware problem, or his boost control parameters are super fucked. maybe a sticking wastegate arm?

Reactions: _mpreza

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yes, absolutely, which why it's best to dial boost control right now it. His mean overshoot is worse on the 50F logs, so does seem to be moving. Guessing the one-size fits all boost control parameters are just fucked for him, but guess we won't know unless he starts digging or tries something besides flashing other OTS maps. Not sure why people are so resistant to actually getting tunes specific for their cars/environments.

If you have custom tune, many leave a good margin between actuals and target/requests and PID is tuned to your car, so not surprised at all if you have no issue with temp change. OTS maps, especially last versions, seem to go out of their way to keep everything sandwiched together. High altitude people probably like them, but I haven't seen one yet that didn't have massive throttle closures, even at warm temps.

Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i

I Had new OEM turbos installed Beginning of Dec because of 30FF underboosting. I also had stock location inlets installed at the same time. I was using MHD stage 1+ Version 7 before the new turbos. After I got my car back I was overboosting on anything other than Stock Map. I ordered 2 new boost solenoids and it completely solved my problem.