Technical Options for a new LPFP? Stock one is getting weak....

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Yep...I noticed that. Lots of "real" Walbro 450 pumps on Amazon and ebay going for $40-$50....when it's a $100 pump.

I ended up finding a real Walbro on eBay for $140 that came with the install kit and filter. I think I should be pretty safe with that one. I was going to get one from Summit Racing, but they sell the pumps and install kits separate.....and they are out of stock on the install kit.

I think I'm going to cut the buttom out of the bucket, that way it will be a much cleaner install...and I won't have to worry about trying to plumb that venturi ith the extra T-fitting, hose pieces, and clamps....just more stuff to fail.

Do you have a link you could share please?

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Ah I was thinking of the 525 vs. the 450 not the newer 535.

Either way two 450s is plenty for almost anyone. Two 535s should be able to support close to 1000whp on 100% E85 I imagine. 100% unneeded unless you plan to drop 10k building the head and block.

I guess I could see using a single 535 if you needed just a bit more flow over a 450 and NEVER had plans to upgrade where you would need more fuel.

i currently have a 450 but its not flowing enough to support my PI at 100% 85, It's close, but my rail pressure drops from time to time. So i think a 535 would work well for me.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Do you have a link you could share please?

This is the one I ordered.......

Reactions: houtan

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
This is the one I ordered.......

thanks. Which DIY are you going to use? There seems to be a ton.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I'm going to exactly what this guy did. Looks like and clean, and should work great!

That's one of the videos i found as well. the only concerns i have with that method are:

1. Is it ok to use crimp connectors on the plug that is going to be sitting in fuel? Or was it the solder connections with heat shrink that end up in the tank? Either way, is that safe?

2. The fitment of the retrofit fuel line quick connector/hose barb look a little long and was hitting the top cover. He says at the end it didn't interfere but i wish i could see it with my own eyes haha.

3. Biggest issue for me is the cutout performed at the bottom of the bucket which basically introduces the issues of a bucketless pump.

I am going to search some more and see if i can find any other DIYs that have a clean install. Will post back when i find something.

EDIT: from that video i found the website he says he used. In that site, it sounds like the individual wanted to avoid fueling issues on track so they did a bucketed diy. looks pretty clean as well. https://bmw135iblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/19/stage-2-bucket-low-pressure-fuel-pump-upgrade/

EDIT 2: uhh, I will be using this to go from the pump to the fuel line. Not cheap, but worth it IMO: http://www.bm-parts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_82&product_id=194

Last edited:

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
1. Yes, crimp connectors would be fine.....but it would be much smarter to solder the connections.
2. I will be able to tell you here in a week or two if there are any issues with it.
3. From what I've read, as long as you are tracking the car and doing big sweeping 1G+ corners, and aren't running the fuel tank low....there shouldn't be any issues. If you are tracking the car, just keep the tank over 1/2 full.

Black Market Parts does sell that special Walbro adapter that clamps onto the barbs, and had a quick disconnect type oem fitting on the end at 90 degrees. This looks like the best/simplest way to do it...but that fitting is $30, and I'm not really sure how much I trust how well it clamps onto the plastic walbro barbed end.

(I just saw your link....it looks like you are going to use htat BM fitting...let me know how you like it)

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
1. Yes, crimp connectors would be fine.....but it would be much smarter to solder the connections.
2. I will be able to tell you here in a week or two if there are any issues with it.
3. From what I've read, as long as you are tracking the car and doing big sweeping 1G+ corners, and aren't running the fuel tank low....there shouldn't be any issues. If you are tracking the car, just keep the tank over 1/2 full.

Black Market Parts does sell that special Walbro adapter that clamps onto the barbs, and had a quick disconnect type oem fitting on the end at 90 degrees. This looks like the best/simplest way to do it...but that fitting is $30, and I'm not really sure how much I trust how well it clamps onto the plastic walbro barbed end.

(I just saw your link....it looks like you are going to use htat BM fitting...let me know how you like it)

thanks. personally, i would solder the connections as well. Just wasn't clear on if there is a fuel compatible heat shrink that should be used. I guess i can look on the heat shrink i have to see if the product label mentions anything. Anyone know if plain ole heat shrink is ok in the fuel tank?

Yeah, the bucketless is a no go for me. I don't know if i am pulling 1g, but i can tell you i am below half a tank before mid day, and run all the way to a quarter tank without issue on track right now. Gas is expensive at a track day too! Why even introduce the possibility of fuel starvation below half a tank though? Is there a benefit of going bucketless?

Good question on how the BMP part attaches. I wanted to know as well so i emailed them. This is their response, and I think it erases any concerns that it would come off.

"It’s a 2 piece fitting. The both pieces screw into each other and create a locking mechanism. Once the pieces are screwed into each other, they aren’t coming apart unless you physically unscrew them."

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
thanks. personally, i would solder the connections as well. Just wasn't clear on if there is a fuel compatible heat shrink that should be used. I guess i can look on the heat shrink i have to see if the product label mentions anything. Anyone know if plain ole heat shrink is ok in the fuel tank?

Yeah, the bucketless is a no go for me. I don't know if i am pulling 1g, but i can tell you i am below half a tank before mid day, and run all the way to a quarter tank without issue on track right now. Gas is expensive at a track day too! Why even introduce the possibility of fuel starvation below half a tank though? Is there a benefit of going bucketless?

Good question on how the BMP part attaches. I wanted to know as well so i emailed them. This is their response, and I think it erases any concerns that it would come off.

"It’s a 2 piece fitting. The both pieces screw into each other and create a locking mechanism. Once the pieces are screwed into each other, they aren’t coming apart unless you physically unscrew them."

I'd like to hear from some guys that are using them. Hoseclamps are pretty foolproof if you have the slighest bit of common sense, so I'm probably going to go that route, with good quality fittings and hose.....I would like to see one of those BMP fittings up close, just to see how it really locks together.

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
I'd like to hear from some guys that are using them. Hoseclamps are pretty foolproof if you have the slighest bit of common sense, so I'm probably going to go that route, with good quality fittings and hose.....I would like to see one of those BMP fittings up close, just to see how it really locks together.
I’ve used them before work great and actually way cleaner look and design. I’ve also used hoses and prefer this fitting.

Attachments

• 714C44EF-FDB7-4D18-8249-9FE04EA05B46.jpeg
    714C44EF-FDB7-4D18-8249-9FE04EA05B46.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 44
  • D5B57B98-9986-4D4F-8DB8-EDCBCA582B34.jpeg
    D5B57B98-9986-4D4F-8DB8-EDCBCA582B34.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 44

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I’ve used them before work great and actually way cleaner look and design. I’ve also used hoses and prefer this fitting.
Thanks for posting pictures and feedback. It looks like you used the crimp connectors with shrink wrap. Any issues in this or your prior installs when you removed the pump? Did you use some sort of fuel rated connector?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
That BMP fitting is starting to sound pretty good. Might have to order one.

335is02.... Any issues with the bucketless type setup (cutting out bottom of bucket) and not running the OEM Venturi?

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
That BMP fitting is starting to sound pretty good. Might have to order one.

335is02.... Any issues with the bucketless type setup (cutting out bottom of bucket) and not running the OEM Venturi?
No that one was fine I actually like it. I have bucketless also. that one I like for what it is gets the job done but for daily use much rather use the bucket with the bottom cut out.
Either set up will work just fine As far as the connector or hose with fitting this one to me is much cleaner.

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
Thanks for posting pictures and feedback. It looks like you used the crimp connectors with shrink wrap. Any issues in this or your prior installs when you removed the pump? Did you use some sort of fuel rated connector?
No they worked just fine the connectors come with some type of glue that melts when heated it’s part of the butt connectors already come that way. I haven’t had any issues with them I’ve used this and just plain butt connectors with shrink over it. You will be fine sometimes the factory walbro plastic around wires will start to dissolve and these still hold up. Removal and install they held also.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Well, I went ahead and ordered the BMP Walbro fitting....I figured that it's $30 worth of extra insurance vs. having a couple of fittings connected by a piece of hose and some clamps. With the BMP fitting, it should be a much cleaner and quicker install.

I'm glad those butt connectors with the build-in heat shrink/glue stuff work well...because that's what I had planned on using.

I already got the Walbro pump in today....that ebay seller that I got it from (highflowfuel) sure shipped fast! I ordered it on Wednesday, and got it on Friday.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Well, I went ahead and ordered the BMP Walbro fitting....I figured that it's $30 worth of extra insurance vs. having a couple of fittings connected by a piece of hose and some clamps. With the BMP fitting, it should be a much cleaner and quicker install.

I'm glad those butt connectors with the build-in heat shrink/glue stuff work well...because that's what I had planned on using.

I already got the Walbro pump in today....that ebay seller that I got it from (highflowfuel) sure shipped fast! I ordered it on Wednesday, and got it on Friday.
Nice. I’m going to order a 535 from them. They told me they should be in stock next week.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Quick question. If you use the bmp part, where does the hose coming from the Venturi connect to?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The 535 draws less current at the same flow rate than the 450.

Our pumps are pwm controlled so they dont need to run 100% duty cycle all the time especially the 535 and that is where they draw the most current
whilst difference is tiny at best.

They only draw a little more when they shoot for higher flow rate than the 450 can ever provide.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Check out the DIy modular kit from PR if they still sell it. Leaves options open for the future and save some over a OTC stg2 lpfp

Definitely keep the bucket at all costs.

• Agree
Reactions: houtan and Torgus