Oil bypass stat valve

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Was looking into upgrading my stock oil cooler,stumbled on people saying the bms oil low temp stat isn't ideal for our cars.thats what I have in my car(for tears since it came out).i have read the AD-E is a better approach but looks like it's not available?also I notice fe my oil temps stay below 200f or around there.what should the oil temp be for high performance car with single turbo.
So my question is what's everyone running,is the ad-E preferred?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
180-210 is considered ideal from my understanding. Less than 180 and you can have issues, 240+ you get shearing.

I'm currently having the PSP front mounted oil cooler installed, along with retrofitting the correct filter housing since I have an 06 build. I'm looking forward to seeing how much my oil temps will improve, I've yet to buy a thermostat but since I live in Chicago it's going to be a must in another couple months.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I have the FTP oil tstat (comes with a new spring) and my oil temps never gets above 220F no matter how hard I push it. I am in south Texas so it's 100F daily this time of year.

29218903308_c16198f8af_c.jpg

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I still plan on a secondary oil cooler as I am going Pure and plan on doing some HPDE's. On the track is really the only place I could see someone needing more oil cooling.

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
I still plan on a secondary oil cooler as I am going Pure and plan on doing some HPDE's. On the track is really the only place I could see someone needing more oil cooling.
one of the other reviews on amazon makes it sound like its a bypass valve (similar to BMS). Can you confirm it enables flow to the oil cooler after a threshold temp? Have you noticed your oil takes longer to warm up?

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
i have the 4 seasons here so want a stat that performs all season and keep cool enough for summer.i dont like the idea of changing the stat in fall then back in spring putting the bms bypass stat.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
i have the 4 seasons here so want a stat that performs all season and keep cool enough for summer.i dont like the idea of changing the stat in fall then back in spring putting the bms bypass stat.
Just get a tstat delete plate and run an external universal thermostat. If you go with a 180° then as soon as your oil temp hits operating temp your oil will circulate, rather than the valve opening when it's already too late like the factory thermostat. Over-cooling won't be a problem and you'll have a setup that's been race-proven for decades.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Was thinking about just keeping the stock oil cooler and change the lines with a delete plate and 180f stat.question is do they make a adapter to fit the stock oil cooler to do so?my temps seem fine so why should I change the oil cooler rite?

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
one of the other reviews on amazon makes it sound like its a bypass valve (similar to BMS). Can you confirm it enables flow to the oil cooler after a threshold temp? Have you noticed your oil takes longer to warm up?

It takes a couple miles of under 3000RPM driving to warm up (once it moves from 160F, I drive normally). But Ambient temps here at 7:30AM are high 80's.

Last edited:

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
It takes a couple miles of under 3000RPM driving to warm up (once it moves from 160F, I drive normally). But Ambient temps here at 7:30AM are high 80's.
Your ambients definitely help. Here in sbay California, it’s still 60s in the morning and my car takes forever as it is to warm up. Might have to go the external tstat route.

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
This has been on my wish list.

Still a bit lower than you suggested at 185f but requires no delete plate AND an external thermostate that you then need to figure out where and how to mount.

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/shop/msl-oil-thermostat-n54/

View attachment 13582
That’s a nice piece for sure. check this one out. http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

You can even select the threshold temp and it’s my cheaper

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
This has been on my wish list.

Still a bit lower than you suggested at 185f but requires no delete plate AND an external thermostate that you then need to figure out where and how to mount.

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/shop/msl-oil-thermostat-n54/

View attachment 13582
That is a very nice piece, but way too expensive. I'm all-in for my external PSP oil cooler setup for less than the cost of just that piece lol.

As far as the tstat temp goes, I really don't see how 180 could be too low. 180 is well into what's considered safe for these engines, and that's just the point where the thermostat will open - it can't magically keep it there, your temps will still rise. You'll just have a head start on keeping your engine safe and cool vs going with something too high.