New recall

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I just got a CarFax alert that a new recall hit both my 2008 e90 335i and my 2011 e92 335is. I've seen tons of videos of this happening on YouTube and I thought they were bad meth injection installs. Turns out it's the HVAC wiring that keeps chooching after the vehicle turns off and causes a fire burning these cars down.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/bmw-recalls-14m-vehicles-due-to-risk-of-under-hood-fires

BMW is recalling more than 1.4 million cars and SUVs in two U.S. recalls due to the risk of fires under the hood.

The second recall covers nearly 673,000 cars including the 323i, 325i, 325xi, 328i, 328xi, 330i, 330xi, 335i, 335xi and M3 from the 2006-2011 model years.

Wiring for the heating and air conditioning system can overheat and cause connectors to melt, also increasing the fire risk, even when vehicles are unattended. Four drivers reported injuries.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
10/25/2017

Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #17V-676
Recall # 17V-676:268
BLOWER MOTOR WIRING

Need more information about this recall? Find an authorized BMW dealer, email [email protected], or call 1-800-525-7417
LEARN MORE
Description:
This recall involves the wiring for the system, known as the blower-motor, that controls air flow for the heating and air conditioning system. Over time, the connection between the wiring and this system could deteriorate and, in rare cases, could lead to overheating.
If overheating occurs, this could further lead to a short circuit or melting at the connection. In extremely rare cases, this could lead to a fire.
Remedy:
The remedy is not available yet. The wiring will be inspected and a new part will be installed. Additional components will be replaced, if necessary, as determined at the time of repair.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
par for the course with these cars it seems. Maybe why my E91 burned to the ground...of course I can't prove it and even if I could...

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Were any 135 effected by this? Anyone have that link handy where I can check my VIN?

https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-recalls.html

A bit more on it - https://jalopnik.com/bmw-recalls-1-4-million-vehicles-in-the-u-s-over-risk-1820124021

It will show as a "Blower Motor Wiring"

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
This recall involves the wiring for the system, known as the blower-motor, that controls air flow for the heating and air conditioning system. Over time, the connection between the wiring and this system could deteriorate and, in rare cases, could lead to overheating.
SAFETY RISK
If overheating occurs, this could further lead to a short circuit or melting at the connection. In extremely rare cases, this could lead to a fire.
DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR
The remedy is not available yet. The wiring will be inspected and a new part will be installed. Additional components will be replaced, if necessary, as determined at the time of repair.
For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Services at [email protected] or at 1-800-525-7417.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Ugh... I hate when other people have to work on my car that aren't the usual suspects.

You don't have to have the recall work performed. You can always let the car burn to the ground instead :tonguewink:

(side note - if you hit the reply button multiple times it'll quote the post you want to reply to multiple times)

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You don't have to have the recall work performed. You can always let the car burn to the ground instead :tonguewink:

(side note - if you hit the reply button multiple times it'll quote the post you want to reply to multiple times)

Yes that is normal, is that bad? Also, if you highlight text from a previous post, you can choose to quote just that excerpt as well, as seen here:

d2JKmEL.png

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Yes that is normal, is that bad?

It's an interface design question. Generally you don't want that to happen because if someone has a slow browser, computer, or internet connection they can mistake the lag/latency of their problems with your site not responding. They can then click multiple times (you know, frustration clicking) and then you get a weird anomaly of a multi quote for one post that nobody ever intended to happen.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It's an interface design question. Generally you don't want that to happen because if someone has a slow browser, computer, or internet connection they can mistake the lag/latency of their problems with your site not responding. They can then click multiple times (you know, frustration clicking) and then you get a weird anomaly of a multi quote for one post that nobody ever intended to happen.

Well the good thing, is I can change anything I want. Just need to modify it. I will put this on the list of changes, but unfortunately its at the near bottom as I have things that are actually broken and I've yet to figure out how to fix them or don't have the time to fix them. Mostly stuff you can't see.