New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've been testing this and while there is no information I'm allowed to share, here is something to look at:

Reactions: houtan and AzNdevil

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Wonder if this is related to the work another of the fuel vendors has been doing, heard a few weeks ago there should be an n54/early n55 option out any day now...

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
So without going into specs/details ,is it ;
a) ' dont worry about PI on E85 till you make over 700+rwhp ' level of upgrade
b) more reliable replacement to factory when your hpfp is shagged.

Reactions: Jeffman and Vbp6us

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
A) dont worry about pi until your at 500hp of ethanol blends after that you will need to reduce e content to max hp
B)it works with hpfp so same reliability.

Neither have anything to do with double barrell.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So I'm gonna guess that rather than attaching the FP to a pulley and basically "supercharging" it like a Shotgun setup, this is more like changing your final drive ratio from a 3.15 to a 4.11? Obviously not much info to be taken from the pic (for a reason), but I'm hoping its priced well at the very least.

Would also be nice if aside from spinning the pump faster it somehow allowed more fuel flow out of the pump, whether that be by filling a "chamber" in there and pressurizing it or some other means of making the most of the HPFP spinning faster than normal.

Prototype007

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
For 1700us you could get an aftermarket ecu.

That literally has zero to do with the shortcomings of the fuel supply via hardware.

Considering he is trying to retain DI, I am guessing that is the opposite direction he's trying to go.

Correct

A) dont worry about pi until your at 500hp of ethanol blends after that you will need to reduce e content to max hp

But it very much does. If they’ll release some numbers then I might be willing to steer away from the Double Barrel kit.

Well that's not very smart.

Hate that for you.

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
So I'm gonna guess that rather than attaching the FP to a pulley and basically "supercharging" it like a Shotgun setup, this is more like changing your final drive ratio from a 3.15 to a 4.11? Obviously not much info to be taken from the pic (for a reason), but I'm hoping its priced well at the very least.

Would also be nice if aside from spinning the pump faster it somehow allowed more fuel flow out of the pump, whether that be by filling a "chamber" in there and pressurizing it or some other means of making the most of the HPFP spinning faster than normal.

I believe your guess is correct if I’m not mistaken.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I believe your guess is correct if I’m not mistaken.
It seems like the logical conclusion both from my limited knowledge of how the HPFP works and what's presented in the picture. If it retains stock DME control I'd kill to be in on the beta testing for this, I want to take my twins into the low 10s at least using DI only if possible. I guess in the end the price:performance ratio will likely tell but I have high Hope's for this over the dual S55 style setups that have been in testing for a while tbh

Reactions: BettyWhitee92

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
If that is indeed what it does, I find it hard to believe the benefits will be substantial enough.

The single barrel by VTT does the same thing, increases shaft speed of a single pump, and has been shown to max around what, 550-600 whp with e85? OEM setup maxxes at around 470 on e85.

I can't imagine they'll increase speed more than the VTT pump, as that already substantially increases RPM for a relatively small ceiling increase.

This is all assuming the VTT setup doesn't encounter issues with belt slip, which I think it likely does.

I'm glad to see another high pressure option, but I think to maximize market they need to offer a kit that can reach higher.

Reactions: V8bait and kayzrx82

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .

Ok so you are suggesting its only the drive component of the hpfp is modified ?so same /similar to overdrive VTT single barrel solution (500 ish).

Would have been good to modify the pump internals for more flow and maybe address failure points.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
That literally has zero to do with the shortcomings of the fuel supply via hardware.

Correct

But it very much does. If they’ll release some numbers then I might be willing to steer away from the Double Barrel kit.

Hate that for you.

Getting an aftermarket ecu enables you to use conventional injectors. Thats what I wrote it. Thought everyone would get it. Unlimited fuel supply, no more n54 hpfp or ecu limitations.

Upping the rpm or capacity of 1 or 2 hpfp is still limited by peizo injectors and the stock ecu.

Whats the point? Once your around 800hp you need port injection and another controller.

Just a circle of cash in hpfp upgrades and extra controllers for fuel, better off putting Decent ecu and normal injectors.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yep, the stock DI is the Achilles heal of the N54. Go PI only if you want outright power, reliability and sustainability.

Reactions: rac

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Maybe I am way simplifying but has anyone tried an electric pump that triggers like pi and just is hard set at 2000psi or something