New Garrett G25-550 / G25-660

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Sound like a perfect recipe for the N54 ? They are about $2K - $2.5k each and EWG or IWG optional

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...owerful-Small-Frame-Turbos-on-the-Market.aspx

It doesn't make sense since we have Single Turbo options that are much cheaper ? This is true but there are some of us that will like to keep things close as possible to the OEM design of a twin setup and not having to invert DME tables or introduce component mediators between the DME and boost.

When you go Single Turbo does the purchase of the kit stop there if your gonna do it right ?

I just want to kill this form of thinking before people start posting about price and Single Turbos and what makes sense or not. Just looking for genuine opinions about these new G series Garrett turbo that seem to have the N54 written all of it.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've always been a fan of a 'Big Twins' setup. However we've simply not seen anything delivered publicly that warrants further investigation(without being the guinea pig).

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
So which manifolds would you suggest for these? Perhaps a v-band cast manifold? Will the original oil and water lines fit? Will these clear the water pump? What will be necessary to fit inlets and outlets readily available on the market?

Keeping things OE setup is great, but by logic of purchases not stopping with a ST kit, these would require a lot of additional work as well, though perhaps not as much. I don't see the level of engine work and maintenance necessary for putting on twins capable of 1200hp to be all that dissimilar to those folks with ST kits pushing towards the 1000whp ceiling.

That said, it's pretty exciting that there's a possible option for Garrett twins. Hell yeah.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
There is there You tube vid of these at Sema 2017, these are compact and pack a punch. Being new, surely the price will be stout for these. Come to think of it and not 100, but VTT may be introducing these with there single kits.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Had a set of these ordered since November 2017. Got tired of waiting for their release about 3-4 months ago, finally got a refund a couple weeks back after getting battered with a hefty restocking fee lol. We've heard it will be this month before the IWG setups will be done, but we'd heard that a few times prior too and felt it was time to cut the losses.

Will be great for only a twin setup and not big enough for a single. Plan on at least $8,000 for a kit, probably considerably more unless the manufacturer is cool doing a ton of work for very little margin. This market is mostly wanting to be closer to $800 these days, so it is a bit of a risk to get into the development anyway.

Rob

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Because these wouldn't be simple drop in. Just ask Tony how long it took him to develop the stage 3 kit. If you go the Stage 3 route like Tony did you retrofit the stock n54 vaccum system to control it. Also I'm skeptical or the numbers Garrett claiming especially after looking at those small turbine wheels these turbo have. Either way we'll fine out how much power these things can make when John finished his kit

Reactions: BQTuning

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Because these wouldn't be simple drop in. Just ask Tony how long it took him to develop the stage 3 kit. If you go the Stage 3 route like Tony did you retrofit the stock n54 vaccum system to control it. Also I'm skeptical or the numbers Garrett claiming especially after looking at those small turbine wheels these turbo have. Either way we'll fine out how much power these things can make when John finished his kit
That's gonna sound intoxicating when it's done.

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport

On that setup couldn't the turbos be clocked to where the outlet is facing downwards then plumbed to FMIC ?

Edit: Nvm, Im over thinking this and forgetting the constraints of space on the 1 and 3 series are face with.

Last edited:

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
On that setup couldn't the turbos be clocked to where the outlet is facing downwards then plumbed to FMIC ?

Edit: Nvm, Im over thinking this and forgetting the constraints of space on the 1 and 3 series are face with.
Yeah John is using EWG but you could run it IWG and just swap over the wastegates actuators from the stock N54 turbos. That'll give you more space and use the stock boost control system. No need to worry about Mac valves or boost boxes

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Spent a lot of time looking at the G25-660. I think it would be a terrific turbo for road racing (especially on a manifold allowing use of the reverse rotation version) since it has quick spool, great transient response and a fat mid-range. Maybe just a bit small for the N54, but the G30 --- which could be announced late this year at SEMA -- might be just right.

BTW, unlike the GTX -- which is an evolution of the GT turbos, the G-series is a clean sheet design and is very similar to Garrett's Motorsports turbos. I expect that it will give the BW EFRs a run for their money.

It's not an option for me since I'll be sticking with my MOTIV manifold, but I am about to replace a worn-out HTA3582R with a GTX3576R .92 A/R.

Neil

Last edited:
Reactions: The Convert

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Spent a lot of time looking at the G25-660. I think it would be a terrific turbo for road racing (especially on a manifold allowing use of the reverse rotation version) since it has quick spool, great transient response and a fat mid-range. Unlike the GTX -- which is an evolution of the GT turbos, the G-series is a clean sheet design and is very similar to Garrett's Motorsports turbos. I expect that it will give the BW EFRs a run for their money.

It's not an option for me since I'll be sticking with my MOTIV manifold, but I am about to replace a worn-out HTA3582R with a GTX3576R .92 A/R.

Neil

Curious, what are you targeting with the 3576?

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
I love the new G series turbos and all turbos from garret, thats why I went with the VIE kit for my single turbo. but with that being said, as badass as the G series are, I think they arent the best option for our platform.

G25-660 in a single turbo set up is too little for someone going through all the effort and cost of a single turbo kit. (remember, turbo itself is 2K) if they wanted 660 crank hp or about 550WHP or less (if turned down), hybrid twins make more sense tbh. they will spool better, be much more economical, and should be relatively fine reliability wise at that power level.

G25-660 or the 550's in a twin set up is badass for sure, but no one really needs that kinda power yet. I am watching Jon's build closely and am eager to see results. I am sure when people start to need that kinda power (1000-1300hp capable) on this platform, a twin set of G series will be a killer set up. But for now, it is completely overkill unless you got one hell of a built motor or plan on building one up super well like Jon is.

Personally I opted for the GTX Gen 2 lineup for my Single kit. GTX3582R, 1.06 AR to be specific, with a goal of 700whp. Perosnally I think for the traditional single turbo setup, the GTX gen 2 lineup fits the N54 platform much better. from the GTX3071, GTX3576, GTX3582R, and even GTX3584RS, there is a badass quick spooling turbo for everyone at all power ranges.

As badass as the G series are they dont really have a spot for our motors until their are more guys out there going for 1000WHP+ and gonna use them in twin format, or until they release a bigger G series turbo

Last edited:

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
An old thread, but thought I'd post up about my Gen 2 GTX3576r. On 93 octane pump and 22 psi, I'm hitting 512 whp/495 ft-lbs. More importantly, I'm fully spooled up at 3,400 rpm. With way more area under the curve, the car should be beastly on the track.

Neil

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Pump gas, must be nice! The best I can get out of the pump here excluding ethanol is ACN91, aka ~88 octane

Reactions: MDORPHN