N63 Single Turbo

DGautowerks

Apr 25, 2017
Ride
07 ST 335i
Hi guys, new to the forum. Want to share one of my latest projects, my buddy reached out to me as he wanted something a little different from the norm and this is what i decided to do for him. All work is custom and done in house, will post more pics at a later time. Hope you guys like it.

20170419_015716_wm.jpg
20170416_230657_1492440145210_wm.jpg
20170420_205126.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: R.G.

DGautowerks

Apr 25, 2017
Ride
07 ST 335i
Thank you, we really don't have a power goal at the moment. But will definitely be cranking some boost

Reactions: acob-84

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
This is crazy, nice work. Definitely interested to see what the outcomes are. Which vehicle is this in? Any estimated power levels?

Ace718

Private
Dec 12, 2017
Las Vegas
Ride
'15 F10 550i
Did this ever come into fruition? I think this is something I'd like to do long term on my N63TU. Pure and VTT are really the only available options for turbo upgrades since this platform gets very little love.

@doublespaces do you ever think this section will become more active? I know there are other forums but I’m not as big on how they are run/the member base. I think once the cost comes down even more some people may pick them up and start modding them. I didn’t realize when I bought the car how small the aftermarket was and how few people are involved in communities like this.

Ace718

Private
Dec 12, 2017
Las Vegas
Ride
'15 F10 550i
Did this ever come into fruition? I think this is something I'd like to do long term on my N63TU. Pure and VTT are really the only available options for turbo upgrades since this platform gets very little love.

@doublespaces do you ever think this section will become more active? I know there are other forums but I’m not as big on how they are run/the member base. I think once the cost comes down even more some people may pick them up and start modding them. I didn’t realize when I bought the car how small the aftermarket was and how few people are involved in communities like this.

Update for anyone interested or who may read this in the future:

They have just begun building a prototype kit for the N63TU this week. More to follow.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

To answer your question, yes this section will grow. When? I don't know because my marketing efforts are spread razor thin. Once I can get around to focusing on it then it will grow but currently I've got whales to fry. This is a niche market and the mindset of the typical owner is not one which is inline with your typical mod addict. The N20 engine is a great example of this as there are a ton of those out there and most of the owners probably don't know a turbo sits under the hood.

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
I think some of the issues with these motors scare people away. Almost everyone I see come into the shop burns oil like crazy. Ill be doing valve stem seals on a X6 with this motor next week and I think the labor is close to 30 hours or something like that.

*Not saying this isn't an awesome motor when its running right, just can get expensive quick.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think some of the issues with these motors scare people away. Almost everyone I see come into the shop burns oil like crazy. Ill be doing valve stem seals on a X6 with this motor next week and I think the labor is close to 30 hours or something like that.

*Not saying this isn't an awesome motor when its running right, just can get expensive quick.

That is my thoughts also. Does the s63 have the same issues? Seems like there have been a few TUs to both motors

Ace718

Private
Dec 12, 2017
Las Vegas
Ride
'15 F10 550i

That is my thoughts also. Does the s63 have the same issues? Seems like there have been a few TUs to both motors

The N63 (pre TU) had a number of issues that were somewhat addressed by the customer care package or CCP in 2015. Here are some of the items they addressed;

"...having the service bulletin number B001314, the recall may take several days for each vehicle involved and could include replacement of the fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, the engine’s vacuum pump and last, but certainly not least, replacement of the timing chain."

The original N63/S63 also use the same injectors as the N54, so you can infer what that's like lol. Outside of that valve stem seals and excessive oil consumption are also significant issues. The S63 has many of the same issues. The TU engines seem to have less problems. I have had my CCV hoses and a few coolant lines replaced under warranty. The only issue with mine is a bit of oil consumption but to be fair I expect it from a BMW turbo engine after both of my N54s.

There does seem to be a random issue of engines seizing due to some lubrication issues and destroyed rod bearings. Interestingly enough the S63/TU also use the same rods as the N63/TU. My engine may not be here for a long time, but its here for a good time haha. I did purchase an extended warranty for 7 years up to 100k miles so we'll see!

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
I think you summed it up pretty good Ace. Its unfortunate that BMW didn't include the valve stem seals in the CCP because a lot of these engines burn an excessive amount of oil. This guy said he was going through a quart every 200-300 miles or something crazy like that. This is an 2008 X6 btw, so an earlier model.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Badass build!

+1 to all the oil talk. Every BMW mechanic I talk with says the v8s (n63, n62, and m62) all have oil leak/consumption problems as well as needing slightly more frequent timing chain services.

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
Just an FYI, there was recently a class action lawsuit that was settled about the oil consumption issues. I believe the dealership will do an oil consumption measurement and replace any parts accordingly, including valve stem seals.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Ace718

Private
Dec 12, 2017
Las Vegas
Ride
'15 F10 550i
That is the case for the Bang vs BMW settlement. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and BMW will pay for valve seal repair or engine replacement on a sliding scale of payment % based on mileage. This only pertains N63s and not TUs.

Ace718

Private
Dec 12, 2017
Las Vegas
Ride
'15 F10 550i
To be honest I think its only a matter of time before there's a CCP of sorts for the TU engines. Mine is currently in the shop under third party warranty for an upper oil pan gasket, turbo oil return adapter and turbo coolant lines.