N55 Turbo Side Intake Progress

JPuehl

Corporal
Jul 24, 2019
Greater Seattle area (a.k.a. Zombie Land)
Ride
2011 135i 1M clone N55e DCT
Thank you for the info, I’ll definitely get a custom tune then once I upgrade the turbo, wish you guys were local to me, I’d pay to have it done now haha
You don't need to be local to a tuner to get a tune. I did a tune for someone 2 states away from and and a friend in AUS wants me to do a tune for his PS750 once I get mine sorted.

Richm240xi

Private
Mar 14, 2023
You don't need to be local to a tuner to get a tune. I did a tune for someone 2 states away from and and a friend in AUS wants me to do a tune for his PS750 once I get mine sorted.
Good to know, I’ll shoot you a pm when I’m ready if you wanna work something out. Just wanna get a few more things on the car sorted out first.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Niceee, I was looking at the pure turbo silicone inlet, good to know about the fitment issues though. Another company that makes a silicone turbo inlet that’s slightly smaller is do88. If you google do88 n55 turbo inlet you’ll see it. It looks like there’s is the same concept as pure but maybe a 2.5 inch diameter and then opens up at the top of L where the flange bolts on to the cylinder head to 3 inches. Maybe you can give that one a try instead. It also comes with a top half silicone inlet as it looks like it was meant to work with the stock intake (not that we’d be using it anyway). So as far as the mafless tune, is that something that can be applied to any regular tune? Or are the tunes you guys have completely custom to your cars? It would be cool if it can be used as an option setting through MHD down the line if you understand what I mean. Like optioning the car for different coils etc.
Just took a look, that's cool it comes with the top half. Only 1 picture was loading, but if any if you end up going with that do88 inlet, I may be interested in buying the top half from you since I'm planning on running the stock intake, at least initially. I'd assume it must have larger cross section than the stock pipe, since they include it? Unless they just do it because silicone will conduct less under-hood heat to the air inside the duct?

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
What are the benefits or drawbacks of running MAFless? Other than having to extend the harness.

Could you replicate the F1x 5/6 Series MAF scaling factors as that is round? Is this what you have to do already with the Injen intake?

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
MAFless greatly simplifies the design of the intake pipe and makes getting everything to fit much easier.

I don’t think we have seen any drawbacks so far but we don’t have a ton of miles compared to running with the MAF. Tweaks need to be made to boost control if running factory PID.

I am not aware of any tweaks required to run the injen intake on the n55. I ran one for 5+ years and did not make any adjustments due to the injen intake.

Reactions: JPuehl

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
MAFless greatly simplifies the design of the intake pipe and makes getting everything to fit much easier.

I don’t think we have seen any drawbacks so far but we don’t have a ton of miles compared to running with the MAF. Tweaks need to be made to boost control if running factory PID.

I am not aware of any tweaks required to run the injen intake on the n55. I ran one for 5+ years and did not make any adjustments due to the injen intake.
Regarding the injen - did you see your ltft's shift to a new value after running this for a while? If the intake throws the MAF calculation off, the DME would adjust the fuel trims to keep afr on target. As long as new ltft values are within a certain tolerance, there shouldn't be any codes as a result.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
For going MAFless, anyone can do it that does their own tunes or uses a tuner that will "listen" to what the customer wants in their tune. MHD provided a feature where you can give it a list of codes to "ignore", so basically you add the 4 or 5 codes that come up when you unplug your MAF and you now are MAFless. You will however need to increase your WGDCs to maintain the same boost levels as with the MAF. I have a 16# 92 octane tune I created as my winter/wet/cold weather DD tune and it was right on target. Once we figured out what needed to be done for MAFless that same tune was now below target. In the end, I added about 30% to my compressor base table to bring the boost back on target. I noticed that the requested MAF was less, most likely due to not having an actual MAF reference, so every table that uses requested MAF is affected. Bumping up the base table was all that I ended up doing. Now yesterday I went out with the PS750 and the hot-side intake using the same MAFless tune I had worked out with the PS2 and took my first log and now boost is above target. This is probably caused by either the shorter/larger intake and/or the larger turbo (PS2 vs PS750). The next dry day I plan to try the base table from the MAF tune and see how close it is, and adjust as necessary. Once I get the 16# tune adjusted, I'll need to find some dry kinda warm climate so I can work on a 23,24,25,26# tune. I know the PS2 can do 23# but I should be able to get 26# out of the PS750.
Did your load actuals also shift when going between MAF and MAFless?

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020

Thanks, I definitely want to try a ‘hot side’ setup, I might try and Frankenstein something together.

The standard MAF weird triangle cross section is just a little under the equivalent of 4” of round tube from wrapping some string around it working backwards.

Can you share what the plug and socket connectors were that you found to extend the MAF? No worries if not, but it’s save me hunting on Mouser or wherever.

Reactions: wheela

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Regarding the injen - did you see your ltft's shift to a new value after running this for a while? If the intake throws the MAF calculation off, the DME would adjust the fuel trims to keep afr on target. As long as new ltft values are within a certain tolerance, there shouldn't be any codes as a result.

I am not sure on ltft. Never had a code related to the intake though.
Thanks, I definitely want to try a ‘hot side’ setup, I might try and Frankenstein something together.

The standard MAF weird triangle cross section is just a little under the equivalent of 4” of round tube from wrapping some string around it working backwards.

Can you share what the plug and socket connectors were that you found to extend the MAF? No worries if not, but it’s save me hunting on Mouser or wherever.
Yeah of course. I am embarrassed to say the connector I am using is the opposite in terms of quality compared to mouser haha. But the one I have installed hasn’t caused any issues.

708Pcs 43 Kits Waterproof... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GN8TQYQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

Richm240xi

Private
Mar 14, 2023
Just took a look, that's cool it comes with the top half. Only 1 picture was loading, but if any if you end up going with that do88 inlet, I may be interested in buying the top half from you since I'm planning on running the stock intake, at least initially. I'd assume it must have larger cross section than the stock pipe, since they include it? Unless they just do it because silicone will conduct less under-hood heat to the air inside the duct?
From looking at the pictures it definitely looks wider and more consistent than stock. The stock one has a pinch point about halfway towards towards the top bottom half

Richm240xi

Private
Mar 14, 2023

If you don’t want to mess with your stock maf connector you can give an email to “in house performance” to purchase an already made maf extension. He makes them for his f10 intakes. I believe I paid like 20 bucks plus shipping

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
@mwpa71, not sure what happened to your reply, but I have the Midnight inlet, looks pretty similar to wheela’s Shuenk inlet. There is a machined step just before the compressor wheel. I intend to smooth the weld on the inside with a Dremel or a die grinder. I have taken the supplied O-rings off.

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mwpa71 and wheela

mwpa71

Private
Sep 26, 2022
Thanks I accidentally deleted it! Lol
cheers, it's the best/largest metal option available.
It's similar to the shuenk/n55+/f55 turbo inlet which is 70mm (they machine their housings specifically to suit) They sell a similar version as do MM which you have to suit standard 65mm inlet. They all flare out to the same od.

Reactions: CalvinNismo

Richm240xi

Private
Mar 14, 2023
@mwpa71, not sure what happened to your reply, but I have the Midnight inlet, looks pretty similar to wheela’s Shuenk inlet. There is a machined step just before the compressor wheel. I intend to smooth the weld on the inside with a Dremel or a die grinder. I have taken the supplied O-rings off.

View attachment 89553
View attachment 89554
View attachment 89555
View attachment 89556
Let us know how the fitment is please, I’m considering this or the do88 silicone inlet. Thank you

mwpa71

Private
Sep 26, 2022
Let us know how the fitment is please, I’m considering this or the do88 silicone inlet. Thank you
The Do88 visually looks to have a much smaller id. Would be great if someone who has one to provide some valued measurements.

Richm240xi

Private
Mar 14, 2023
The Do88 visually looks to have a much smaller id. Would be great if someone who has one to provide some valued measurements.
Yea it does but I think it’s balance between function and fitment. No use having a giant inlet if it causes issues with surrounding parts

Reactions: mwpa71

JPuehl

Corporal
Jul 24, 2019
Greater Seattle area (a.k.a. Zombie Land)
Ride
2011 135i 1M clone N55e DCT
Did your load actuals also shift when going between MAF and MAFless?
What I'll do is share a log of my 16# Winter tune when it had a MAF, then MAFless, then with the PS750 (also MAFless). So far the only changes I made between the 3 uses of the tune is the compressor base table. I stocked up on some E85 so I'll be ready to start dialing in a >23# tune.

mwpa71

Private
Sep 26, 2022
Yea it does but I think it’s balance between function and fitment. No use having a giant inlet if it causes issues with surrounding part

View attachment 89553
View attachment 89554
View attachment 89555
View attachment 89556
What's the ID of inlet? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219_144723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_144723_Chrome.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 7

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
What's the ID of inlet? Thanks
58mm, so a smidge smaller than the do88 inlet. I need to compare it to the compressor housing on my turbo to see how well matched it is. The inlet is big enough for me to drop my phone in it to take a picture! 😂
IMG_0246.jpeg

Will do, but it’ll be in the new year now before I fit it and the new turbo. I’ll be doing the install, I still have my (old) Pure inlet as a comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwpa71