N55 e90 Overboost MHD 2+ E50

machinehead

Dec 11, 2020
2011 e90 335xi N55 PWG AT
VRSF catless downpipe, 340 LPH LPFP BMS charge pipe, XHP stage 3, turbosmart VR9 dual valve, wastegate rod adjusted to 5.5 inches of vacuum fully closed.
I've tried all the maps from one through two plus, and have always gotten an overboost with throttle closing that feels like massive hesitation since day one, at the moment I'm sitting at stage two plus e50 blend map, went from stock diverter valve to TurboSmart VR9 dual valve to try to eliminate the diverter valve as a problem for over boost, the problem actually got worse with the new diverter valve, adjusted wastegate so it's fully closed at at 5.5 inch of vacuum now heading Max boost 24.5 PSI and even with throttle closure did nothing to reduce the boost on a 3000 to 3500 RPM pull. stock MAP sensor.
with stock diverter valve and stage two plus 91 octane tune, would see a peak of 24 psi boost on initial throttle opening, then would taper down below target boost, now it's maximum boost throughout the pull, even with throttle closure.
I welcome any ideas.

machinehead

Dec 11, 2020
What issues were you having before you adjusted your wastegate rod? What turbo are you running?I assume it's not stock hitting 24.5psi.
Overboost has always been the issue since tuning. Yes 24 psi on the stock turbo, but only for the inital throttle response, then it tapers.

Zeezul

Private
Nov 26, 2016
Holiday, FL. 34691
Overboost has always been the issue since tuning. Yes 24 psi on the stock turbo, but only for the inital throttle response, then it tapers.
Have you tried a new map sensor and/or throttle body actuator? Also, are you hitting 24.5psi in 3rd gear into 4th as well? Somethings definitely going on with your throttle body hardware or it's a tuning issue.

tkenupp

Mar 15, 2022
Hi there! I`m having the same problem, mainly after or during straight pulls on canyon drives whereas I tap the gas pedal a lot. I was thinking about removing my GFB DV+ and replacing it with a turbosmart, now i`ll keep it. I also replaced the boost solenoid, thinking about replacing the lines next and then custom-tune. Have you found something? On stage 2 my car hit between 14psi - 18 Psi then tappers down.

dinocrest

Lurker
Apr 27, 2021
Hi there! I`m having the same problem, mainly after or during straight pulls on canyon drives whereas I tap the gas pedal a lot. I was thinking about removing my GFB DV+ and replacing it with a turbosmart, now i`ll keep it. I also replaced the boost solenoid, thinking about replacing the lines next and then custom-tune. Have you found something? On stage 2 my car hit between 14psi - 18 Psi then tappers down.
You hitting 18psi on STG2?, my car max's like 15psi on Stage 2+ then tapers down quickly. 91 oct.