N54 water to air intercooler street build

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
6DAD45E3-1E4C-42C0-9269-CFE9BD56C24A.jpeg

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
The mishimoto heat exchanger fits well, just have to fabricate some brackets and replace the quick release nipples with AN bungs.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
image.jpg

this is a heat exchanger from a previous build, it fits exactly between the frame rails and under the radiator like the stock intercooler did so I’ll be using it as an auxiliary cooler along with the Mish.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Is that an S55 valve cover? What all was involved in retrofitting it to the N54? Are you running standard height radiator, same size a2w heat exchanger, and then the new cooler below those to take up the oe intercooler space? Still using N54 oe radiator fan?

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
No it’s the original N55 one as this is an M235, I have not fabbed any brackets yet to support the weight of the intercooler, it’s being supported by the inlet and outlet pipes and some cardboard I used as a spacer at the intake manifold. I am using a standard height engine radiator but the upgraded one from CSR. The heat exchanger is the upgraded one from Mushi. for the M2,3,4 which is placed infront of the AC condenser. The second cooler below the radiator is a generic eBay item ( frozen boost I think) measuring 26x7x 3.5”, it is being used to fill the space left by the previous A2A intercooler, it will be fitted flush with the back of the radiator so yes the OEM fan is being retained.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Reactions: The Convert

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
No it’s the original N55 one, I have not fabbed any brackets yet to support the weight of the intercooler, it’s being supported by the inlet and outlet pipes and some cardboard I used as a spacer at the intake manifold. I am using a standard height engine radiator but the upgrade one from CSR and the heat exchanger is the upgraded one from Mushi. for the M2,3,4. The second cooler below the radiator is a generic eBay item ( frozen boost I think) measuring 26x7x 3.5”, it’s fits flush with the back of the radiator and front of the condenser so yes the OEM fan is being retained.View attachment 50390
The blue covering is the protective cover csr uses on their products so you can see the fitment is perfect.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
image.jpg

The Mishi installed in front of the entire cooling stack just like the M2,3,4 cars. It fits well but I did flatten the sections of the brace directly adjacent to the tanks to ensure no contact which could cause future problems, it (the brace) will be powder coated with the rest of items when I’m done.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
So far this system seems to be working GREAT! my intake temperatures range between 38 and 41 degrees C with ambient temperatures in the lower 30's , I am not running full boost yet (<8 psi now) but its still encourageing, I'll update with logs after I'm tuned to be able to run higher boost.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
This feature has been tested on INAOS by RSL, and IJEOS by me. If RSL agrees, and you understand/accept the potential risk of testing a feature like this, I can share it with you.

@RSL

Hey guys,
did you work further on that topic? Never saw xdf files share or something and this is really interesting!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I probably have all that around somewhere still if it wasn't posted. What were you looking for?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Conversion of E-Fan setpoint is really interesting interesting for me.

It might be nice if you could describe the E-Fan setpoint vs. vehicle speed table. I am not sure i understood what it does as in your screenshot on page 10 all values are the same.

On Bantman screenshots there is E-fan request for intercooling. How does that one work? Post 193